boat rubbing strake

Benjygardner

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I am currently renovating a 14ft cuddy boat and I need to replace the rubbing strake. I have chosen a simple D-shaped rubbing strip (link below) as they are the cheapest and most suitable for the boat. I am not sure how to bond the rubbing strake onto the boat as there are no screw holes which is how they are usually done. Should I use some bonding sealant or is there a way to do it with screws? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

BOAT RUBBING STRAKE D FENDER PROFILE 24MM BASE BLACK PVC PER METRE | eBay

Benjygardner

Visit site
Ok, thank you. how would I install it with the two-part system if the rub rail doesn't already have drilled holes or if there is no filling strip. can you buy it separately? Is there also a way to do it without any screws or bolts and with epoxy or sealant instead?

fisherman

Visit site
Google shows a system with pvc strip inside, and fixings that incorporate a plug for the hole in the outside profile, but it uses screws. What glue is going to stand a knock up or down when coming alongside? How about a wood strip with a rebate routered out for the D section to sit in?
How Do I Fit a Boat Fender?

Davy_S

Visit site
If the rubbing strake/rubber goes around the hull and topside joint, the rubber is put in a boiling bucket of water, then stretched around the joints and fastened each side of the transom, all the seahog/hunter/CJR type of boats were fitted like this, no glue was used or needed.

Benjygardner

Visit site
ok thanks very much. what did you mean when you said that it is not the glue that Is the problem? I think I would prefer to do it with glue if it is possible.

Gustywinds

Visit site
I am not sure if that was serious or a joke. Anyway, aircraft wings are not attached with glue. The loads and torsion are far too high.
I beg to differ, adhesives have been widely used in aircraft for over a century , particularly with wood and with aluminium where welding weakens the materail and rivets creates point loadings. It has become even more prevalent with the advent of carbonfibre. But it is never used to take shear or torsion loads. On th eexample quoted where wings are "held on"by it, the adhesive stops the wing coming out of a socket but all the lift and torsion loads are taken on the socket itself. Lotus use adhesives in the chassis of the Elise class cars as well as do Tesla

ss2016

Visit site
Gustywinds, having begged to differ, you then conceded I was right ".. it is never used to take shear or torsion loads." which is what II said. Having squeezed 20000+ rivets in aluminium aircraft production and flown towards a 1000 hours carbon fibre aircraft I can not think of one where ".. the adhesive stops the wing coming out of a socket." Can you?
Bengygardner, I apologise if I have derailed your thread but I hate to see people heading off in the wrong direction. For your problem I think I would talk to Sikaflex. They will probably have an adhesive which will bond rubber in sheer and stand up to salt water. We used one of their glues to bond plexiglass to aluminium in aircraft manufacture.

Other threads that may be of interest