Boat Registration.

srm

Visit site
Likewise with Part 1 Registration, but go back even further and it was an impressive document folded in to a blue hard cover, Even better there was no expiry date or renewal fee.
My YM Offshore certificate came in a blue hardback cover similar to that carried by a real Master Mariner, but my YM Ocean was a flimsy bit of paper folded in to a cheapo clear plastic cover.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
It's actually because lots of foreigners don't like laminated documents.
Really there should be a nice wet stamp and signature on it to really get them smiley...

srm

Visit site
A friend who had to download and print his current part 1 registration found some foreign officials questioned it (not surprising really). He now takes along his old one and his print out of the current one and finds the two together are accepted.
Perhaps printing it on pale green paper might look more convincing.

dgadee

Visit site
I don't have a colour printer so had to take my Part 1 document off to be printed at Ryman, then laminate at home. However, the advantage is that you can have more than one 'official' laminated document.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Of course it is progress. Paper is pointless for this type of registration. The objective has been met, the registration is complete on a digital database. Would you prefer quill, ink and scratching an entry on a ledger (-;

dgadee

Visit site
Of course it is progress. Paper is pointless for this type of registration. The objective has been met, the registration is complete on a digital database. Would you prefer quill, ink and scratching an entry on a ledger (-;
I can just imagine going around the Med having to get marinas etc. log in to a digital database to check your length! Chaos. You need paper.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
... You need paper.

No I don't need a paper Part 1 registration certificate. My boat is Part 1 registered and last year I received the email certificate when renewed. If I want a paper copy I will print in. I don't receive any of my insurance documents by paper, nor my boarding cards, nor my share certificates or divided payment certificates, I don't have a paper tax return, payslip et cetera.

Sure, if there is a need for paper, I will print a document.

dgadee

Visit site
No I don't need a paper Part 1 registration certificate. My boat is Part 1 registered and last year I received the email certificate when renewed. If I want a paper copy I will print in. I don't receive any of my insurance documents by paper, nor my boarding cards, nor my share certificates or divided payment certificates, I don't have a paper tax return, payslip et cetera.

You may not need paper but the offices you enter will ask for paper rather than a link to a digital resource.

GHA

Visit site

Or even easier as has happened more than once recently in the Canaries needing insurance docs & not having them printed out yet, just email them as you're sitting in the office.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
You may not need paper but the offices you enter will ask for paper rather than a link to a digital resource.

No office I have entered has ever asked for paper.

You are talking about a minority of people, interacting with businesses who prefer to trust paper than their own measuring tapes or the customers they are charging for the service.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Or even easier as has happened more than once recently in the Canaries needing insurance docs & not having them printed out yet, just email them as you're sitting in the office.

I was recently asked for boat insurance, and I did exactly that, emailed the document over. I keep scanned copies of all my documents attached to emails for this purpose.

When I drive my own car in Europe, I do take a paper copy of my insurance certificate in case I have to show that to roadside police. But that is an exception.

Reactions: GHA

GHA

Visit site
Every Med marina I have been in has asked for paper documents. Every port police or coastguard when boarding has asked for paper. I must be attracting the wrong sort of person.

Where I have been able to email is where I am intending to stay for a few months or a winter.
You are allowed both. But digital is becoming day to day normal.

You must be doing something to attract all these policia maritime boardings 😁
All they every want from me is passport, SSR is on the side of the boat.

dgadee

Visit site
Part 1 details are not on the side of the boat. Nor usually is the length (though it is on mine, in feet).

I have always found that southern European countries love bits of paper.

GHA

Visit site
Part 1 details are not on the side of the boat. Nor usually is the length (though it is on mine, in feet).

I have always found that southern European countries love bits of paper.
Still don't get asked for more than a passport in rare visits by the PM. They don't come aboard either.

Things change and are changing.

[Unwelcome content removed]

Last edited by a moderator: