Boat Recommendations

Gustywinds

Visit site
How about a Guy Couach 1200 or something similar?
It's a French made fly bridge with a folding radar arch to get under those low bridges powered either by Renault or Iveco diseasel engines
I have a friend who lives on one of those, moored in Leucate, while he rents out his apartment. His is ancient.

Tranona

Visit site
I want the flexibility to leave it pretty much anywhere. If I buy in the UK, I see myself doing some coastal trips for a few weeks/momths before going to France, maybe going from France to Spain, or to Netherlands, even up to Sweden
That "flexibility" will be constrained by the limitation of 18 months limit for non EU VAT paid boats owned by non EU residents. While this is renewable it means exiting the EU and re-entering to start the clock again. Not easy keeping a boat in the inland waterways. Post Brexit severely constrains UK residents ability to keep a boat in the EU. Hence the suggestion of buying a EU vAT paid boat - but you can't use that in the UK without paying UK VAT.

Gustywinds

Visit site
That "flexibility" will be constrained by the limitation of 18 months limit for non EU VAT paid boats owned by non EU residents. While this is renewable it means exiting the EU and re-entering to start the clock again. Not easy keeping a boat in the inland waterways. Post Brexit severely constrains UK residents ability to keep a boat in the EU. Hence the suggestion of buying a EU vAT paid boat - but you can't use that in the UK without paying UK VAT.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I Was thinking in terms of Summer/Winter /Summer in EU then winter back in UK, repeat. There doesn't appear to be any hard number on the time you spend out of the EU (or in the UK if you reverse it) but an article I read suggested HMRC might become "obstructive" if you take the piss by only staying a couple of days. I also need to be careful on which passport details I use - I messed up in the US a few years ago and went in on my Irish passport and out on my UK one and got a nasty letter from US Immigration for overstaying (although the letter was sent to my UK address!)

Tranona

Visit site
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I Was thinking in terms of Summer/Winter /Summer in EU then winter back in UK, repeat. There doesn't appear to be any hard number on the time you spend out of the EU (or in the UK if you reverse it) but an article I read suggested HMRC might become "obstructive" if you take the piss by only staying a couple of days. I also need to be careful on which passport details I use - I messed up in the US a few years ago and went in on my Irish passport and out on my UK one and got a nasty letter from US Immigration for overstaying (although the letter was sent to my UK address!)
The law is simple. TA is 18 months, but renewable. However the law for moving a boat from another customs where it is VAT paid (EU) to another (UK) where you are resident is also simple but draconian. VAT is payable on entry. No discretion. There are exemptions but not any that are of practical use in your sort of situations.

So the choice is UK VAT paid and use TA in Europe but also use in UK or EU VAT paid and only use in Europe. Choice depends on circumstances and your cruising plans.

Gustywinds

Visit site
The law is simple. TA is 18 months, but renewable. However the law for moving a boat from another customs where it is VAT paid (EU) to another (UK) where you are resident is also simple but draconian. VAT is payable on entry. No discretion. There are exemptions but not any that are of practical use in your sort of situations.

So the choice is UK VAT paid and use TA in Europe but also use in UK or EU VAT paid and only use in Europe. Choice depends on circumstances and your cruising plans.
Yes, so, if I do as I said, I am better buying a UK VAT paid boat and renewing TA after 18 months.
Just occurred to me : What is the situation with a boat bought in Northern Ireland?

oldgit

Visit site
That Halvorsen looks gorgeous. The only thing that would concern me is the fat it has two 250HP engines which might get choked up running at barely tickover a lot of the time
There are thousands of boats on inland waterways with pairs of 300 HP + engines many of them for decades.
There might well be some out there, but have yet to hear of single example of any engine requiring an engine rebuild simply due to bore wear or similar, 99% of problems are down to cooling system corrosion and a very determined and very terminal lack of use by the owner.
:)

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, so, if I do as I said, I am better buying a UK VAT paid boat and renewing TA after 18 months.
Just occurred to me : What is the situation with a boat bought in Northern Ireland?
That is a grey area and I am not sure the "authorities" could give you a clear answer. Prudence would probably say don't go there and risk being a guinea pig.

Gustywinds

Visit site
There are thousands of boats on inland waterways with pairs of 300 HP + engines many of them for decades.
There might well be some out there, but have yet to hear of single example of any engine requiring an engine rebuild simply due to bore wear or similar, 99% of problems are down to cooling system corrosion and a very determined and very terminal lack of use by the owner.
:)
That's interesting. There are a few boats I'd dismissed because they were more overtly powerboats rather than cruisers. Things like Bayliner 3055 which normally has big petrol engines but there are a few with twin Volvo diesels

Alicatt

Visit site
That's interesting. There are a few boats I'd dismissed because they were more overtly powerboats rather than cruisers. Things like Bayliner 3055 which normally has big petrol engines but there are a few with twin Volvo diesels
I looked at a Searay last year in Holland, it had the Mercruiser petrol engine replaced with a marinised Toyota 4.2 Turbo diesel as it's power plant, while not that powerful in the scheme of things at about 170hp, it was a fast cruiser set up for the inland waterways, there was too much wrong with it to risk bidding on it.

There are quite a few what would be considered speed boats that are used on the canals around here even with the 8 -12km/h speed limits. Another couple joined our yacht club at the same time as us and they have a fast cruiser, not seen it yet, it should be getting put in the water later this month.

Hacker

Visit site
That is a grey area and I am not sure the "authorities" could give you a clear answer. Prudence would probably say don't go there and risk being a guinea pig.
I spoke to a broker in NI this week about a mobo. She said that there was no issue with VAT on boats imported to England from NI. You just needed to check that the boat wasn’t just being moored over the border.

Greg2

Visit site
My tuppence worth, some of which reiterates what has already been said.

My wife is from N. Ireland and has an Irish passport - I have yet to confirm but my understanding is that if I travel with her I am not subject to the 90 in 180 rule. Apparently all about not restricting her freedom of movement as opposed to giving me freedom of movement.

Many Broom boat models (we have owned two) were designed specifically for sea trips across to Europe and then cruising the inland waterways. They are ideal for what you want to do and many turned out to be excellent sea boats - the 38CL being an example of this.

The Haverson 32 is indeed a lovely looking boat and we looked at one as a potential purchase. Restricted access to the front of the engines was a major issue and enough for us to move on.

Oldgit is spot on - many seagoing boats with larger engines chug around on inland waterways for years. We have had several seaboats and have been based inland with the occasional coastal foray for years. When we bought our current boat with twin 265hp engines it was with a view to doing both coastal and inland cruising.

If you are planning single handed cruising then choose carefully. A semi-displacement hull might be better because it will be a little more planted in the water than a planing hull and shaft drive adds to more predictability than outdrives for example. Also think about access from the helm to the decks to enable you to work the lines when transiting locks or getting into a mooring,

Last edited:

Gustywinds

Visit site
My tuppence worth, some of which reiterates what has already been said.

My wife is from N. Ireland and has an Irish passport - I have yet to confirm but my understanding is that if I travel with her I am not subject to the 90 in 180 rule. Apparently all about not restricting her freedom of movement as opposed to giving me freedom of movement.
Thanks for this, my Irish passport is also by virtue of my parents being from NI and my having lived there for 18 years. I'll investigate further.

A semi-displacement hull might be better because it will be a little more planted in the water than a planing hull and shaft drive adds to more predictability than outdrives for example.
Yes, I thought that, also concerned about maintenance on outdrives.

Also think about access from the helm to the decks to enable you to work the lines when transiting locks or getting into a mooring,
Yes, that was something that was a concern on the Nimbus boats I had been looking at - going all the way to the back or climbing through the window! The Aquador much better from that respect

Gustywinds

Visit site
Thank you all for your input.
The conclusion I have come to is best for me to buy in UK and limit time in EU to 18 months in one go which is fine,
Of the boats suggested, my initial shortlist based on features, layout and cost are (in rough order of preference)
  • Aquador32
  • Saga 315
  • Halvorsen 32
  • Nimbus 310/320
  • Aquador 28
  • Nimbus 280
The first two have the huge advantage of easy access from the helm to the ropes, The others will make the addition of wireless remote a necessity rather than a nice to have. On this subject anybody got opinions on wireless for just the thrusters (at around £1500) vs something like Dockmate which controls engine and windlass too (at £10k+)?
Some of the others are possibles and I will certainly look if they are available but, in general, I prefer the Scandinavian look to the interior rather than the mahogany in the British boats. I know a lot of you like the Broom boats but my gut feeling is they are too big for what I want and ones in my price range are 30 years old.
As a wildcard, i'll also have a look at something like the Bayliner 3055 as you seem to get a lot for your money on them but I have reservations about running a boat with 2 big engines and outdrives on canals

Greg2

Visit site
That’s not a bad shortlist 👍

I would be wary of the Bayliner for many reasons including outdrives, which aren’t an absolute no in my book but better avoided for your planned use.

Gustywinds

Visit site
That’s not a bad shortlist 👍

I would be wary of the Bayliner for many reasons including outdrives, which aren’t an absolute no in my book but better avoided for your planned use.
I've never used a boat with outdrive(s), they just look like a of of mechanics to go wrong (I'm a big fan of the KISS principle) but I've just noticed the Aquador 28 has one (whereas the 32 is shaft drive). There is a 28 for sale not far from me and I was thinking of having a look.
One thing I was wondering is whether having the outdrive hard over would negate the need for a stern thruster? Would it hold you against a lock/dock?

Greg2

Visit site
You can use outdrives to provide directional thrust, which can be helpful, but usually just clicking in and out of gear in close quarters manoeuvring. They don’t turn as far as 90 degree each side so there is always some forward (or backward) motion as well and you can’t leave them in gear to push hold against a dock.