Boat Recommendations

Billy Blue

Visit site
Thank you all for your input.
The conclusion I have come to is best for me to buy in UK and limit time in EU to 18 months in one go which is fine,
Of the boats suggested, my initial shortlist based on features, layout and cost are (in rough order of preference)
  • Aquador32
  • Saga 315
  • Halvorsen 32
  • Nimbus 310/320
  • Aquador 28
  • Nimbus 280
The first two have the huge advantage of easy access from the helm to the ropes, The others will make the addition of wireless remote a necessity rather than a nice to have. On this subject anybody got opinions on wireless for just the thrusters (at around £1500) vs something like Dockmate which controls engine and windlass too (at £10k+)?
Some of the others are possibles and I will certainly look if they are available but, in general, I prefer the Scandinavian look to the interior rather than the mahogany in the British boats. I know a lot of you like the Broom boats but my gut feeling is they are too big for what I want and ones in my price range are 30 years old.
As a wildcard, i'll also have a look at something like the Bayliner 3055 as you seem to get a lot for your money on them but I have reservations about running a boat with 2 big engines and outdrives on canals
I have a dockmate on my Saga 315 with bow and stern thrusters. Prior to this I had remotes for the thrusters. The dockmate allows me to go out single handed without any concerns about getting back alongside in virtually any tidal/wind conditions. For instance with the tide and wind blowing you off the pontoon (about the worst scenario for for where I am berthed), I can stand on the bow and just motor up to the pontoon and step off (possible on the Saga) and get that all important first rope secure. I can then thrust the stern in from the pontoon with the dockmate. Similarly, in other conditions, standing on the swim platform, controlling the boat, is easy. With only remotes for the thrusters, by the time you have moved from the helm to the swim platform, the elements have carried you away from the pontoon. I have taken my boat from the Medway all the way to Sneek ,Friesland in the Netherlands single handed. So a mix of open waters and lots of inland including locks and only possible (in my view) because I have a dockmate. So, well worth the additional cost if you are likely to do much single handed.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Re your list
I guess you have seen this and it has stern thrusters

Aquador 32 C 8021954 – Burton Waters Boat Sales

I’ve just sold my boat through Burton Waters, decent bunch of guys and good workshops to sort out any post survey problems.

Downside is because of location no full throttle testing.
Yes, I saw this but it is sold. It was their listing that flagged the 32C as being a good option. Good to hear positive feedback on seller

Gustywinds

Visit site
I have a dockmate on my Saga 315 with bow and stern thrusters. Prior to this I had remotes for the thrusters. The dockmate allows me to go out single handed without any concerns about getting back alongside in virtually any tidal/wind conditions. For instance with the tide and wind blowing you off the pontoon (about the worst scenario for for where I am berthed), I can stand on the bow and just motor up to the pontoon and step off (possible on the Saga) and get that all important first rope secure. I can then thrust the stern in from the pontoon with the dockmate. Similarly, in other conditions, standing on the swim platform, controlling the boat, is easy. With only remotes for the thrusters, by the time you have moved from the helm to the swim platform, the elements have carried you away from the pontoon. I have taken my boat from the Medway all the way to Sneek ,Friesland in the Netherlands single handed. So a mix of open waters and lots of inland including locks and only possible (in my view) because I have a dockmate. So, well worth the additional cost if you are likely to do much single handed.
Thanks so much, thats exactly the sort of feedback needed. I was going through in my head the locks we encountered on Canal Du Midi and Nivernais and figuring how I could do them single handed. There are many were it was best one person got off early. Sometimes there is a lockkeeper who will help, sometimes not. Having full remote would make it so much easier. Who fitted yours? I am in touch with Marine Energy Systems Ltd in Plymouth but haven't looked anywhere else

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site
The guy with the boat behind mine has a full remote control system with bow and stern thrusters and he just stands in the cockpit and manoeuvres his boat around, not sure on the make though.

His boat is up for sale as he is getting on a bit and the regulations here don't allow you to take your residence on the boat, it's a bit taller than the 3.2m you are looking and the price is about €350k
The one with the dark blue hull, the one behind that is the Broom 360 and mine is the small one with the red tent :) Alice the one on the far right is a British built boat from the early 1900s and has a preservation order on it as a heritage and is undergoing a full refurb at the moment.
View attachment _DSC8231sm.JPG

Billy Blue

Visit site
Thanks so much, thats exactly the sort of feedback needed. I was going through in my head the locks we encountered on Canal Du Midi and Nivernais and figuring how I could do them single handed. There are many were it was best one person got off early. Sometimes there is a lockkeeper who will help, sometimes not. Having full remote would make it so much easier. Who fitted yours? I am in touch with Marine Energy Systems Ltd in Plymouth but haven't looked anywhere else
Well therein lies a tale. I actually fitted it myself. I bought the kit from, I think, the first and only supplier at the time in the UK (about 6 years ago). Anyway, I was their first sale. Without boring you with the full story, I think it is fair to state that not only did I go through a learning curve but so did they and after supporting me over the phone backed up with advice from the manufacturers through the installation, they decided to only offer Dockmate with installation!
I believe it is more plug and play than when I installed it as I had to actually cut into the throttle control wire which was a bit scary (VP D4 260). I was told at the time that Dockmate hadn't got an agreement with VolvoPenta to use their bespoke plug. My understanding is that they have now that sorted so that part of it is now plug and play as well. Anyway, it has worked perfectly well since installing it.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
We went through a very similar boat choosing exercise four years ago with an almost identical shortlist. We bought an Aquador 32C in the end and we are delighted with her. Single engine shaft drive, bow thruster. Very well designed and put together. A big feature are the proper side decks and the side doors to the decks. The helm floor is raised so that you can stick your head out of the sunroof for close manoeuvring. Have the side door open with the ropes ready and it is very easy. I have never found the need for a stern thruster, partly because she has a very strong propwash to starboard when going astern.
We concluded that the Nimbus 310/320 are great boats but lack the side doors and side decks. The 280 a little small and under powered. The Skilso and Saga were both very dated and the later had no side doors. The Aquador 28 was very nice but a very small aft cockpit and cramped inside - plus we wanted the simplicity of shaft drive. I don't have experience of the Halvorsen.
Feel free if you want to ask more about the Aquador.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Feel free if you want to ask more about the Aquador.
Which engine do you have - a Penta I assume?
Whats your fuel consumption like ?
Any concerns about running it slow for long periods (8km/hr)?
Are you able to confirm the air draft with radar hoop and any antenna removed (top of the chrome rails)
What is the width at this point? from what I have seen on pics it looks like they would be the hit points on a low bridge so I'd be thinking if putting D-section rubber round them
Do you have the diesel powered oven/hob? Not something I've ever come across but eliminates problems I've heard of getting Calor in France

Thanks in anticpation

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Which engine do you have - a Penta I assume?
Whats your fuel consumption like ?
Any concerns about running it slow for long periods (8km/hr)?
Are you able to confirm the air draft with radar hoop and any antenna removed (top of the chrome rails)
What is the width at this point? from what I have seen on pics it looks like they would be the hit points on a low bridge so I'd be thinking if putting D-section rubber round them
Do you have the diesel powered oven/hob? Not something I've ever come across but eliminates problems I've heard of getting Calor in France

Thanks in anticpation
Hi Gusty,
In order of your questions:
Yes she has a Volvo KAMD44, 260hp, but most have a Yanmar 310 or 370, occasionally a 450.
Running hard she burns about 40lph, I spend little time running at low speeds but I would imagine that it would only sip at the fuel.
It wouldn't bother me greatly running at low revs, as mentioned in previous posts, many boats with much bigger engines live on rivers. You could always add something like Fuelset to keep the injectors, etc.. clean
She is up in my grainshed at the mo, I will pop up and get those measurements later.
"Molly" was built in 1999 so she has the earlier paraffin version of the diesel ones you see now. We were dubious about it but apparently they are regarded as being the boat version of an Aga. We use the hob but the oven needs looking at. The hob is great but slow to boil a kettle. For proper cooking it is brilliant as it has a flu so all the exhaust goes outside - no fumes, no condensation. If you have the more modern diesel one you have a 600l tank of the stuff under your feet. No gas bottles to store or lug around and no danger of gas leaks. If we just want to boil a kettle for a brew for the two of us we tend to use our little festival stove as it's so quick

Greg2

Visit site
Just to add a couple of observations.

The KAD44 are a good engine and whilst most large engines don’t have any real world issues running at low speed in my experience there have been instances of the 44 not getting sufficient oil to the top of the block at low revs with fairly serious consequences. There is, apparently, a fix that I recall being mentioned on here many years ago but I can’t recall the detail.

I have been looking at the Wallas diesel stoves, which are eye wateringly expensive. Searching online I found tales on forums of them sometimes being problematic with spares being expensive and poor after-sales support. I know this is just forum chat, which can sometimes give a less than balanced perspective (some did sing their praises), but worth doing due diligence to satisfy yourself. SWMBO couldn’t get passed the cost of one so it looks as though we will be sticking with gas! 😏

Gustywinds

Visit site
Hi Gusty,
In order of your questions:
Yes she has a Volvo KAMD44, 260hp, but most have a Yanmar 310 or 370, occasionally a 450.
Running hard she burns about 40lph, I spend little time running at low speeds but I would imagine that it would only sip at the fuel.
It wouldn't bother me greatly running at low revs, as mentioned in previous posts, many boats with much bigger engines live on rivers. You could always add something like Fuelset to keep the injectors, etc.. clean
She is up in my grainshed at the mo, I will pop up and get those measurements later.
"Molly" was built in 1999 so she has the earlier paraffin version of the diesel ones you see now. We were dubious about it but apparently they are regarded as being the boat version of an Aga. We use the hob but the oven needs looking at. The hob is great but slow to boil a kettle. For proper cooking it is brilliant as it has a flu so all the exhaust goes outside - no fumes, no condensation. If you have the more modern diesel one you have a 600l tank of the stuff under your feet. No gas bottles to store or lug around and no danger of gas leaks. If we just want to boil a kettle for a brew for the two of us we tend to use our little festival stove as it's so quick
Thanks for this. Do you happen to know what the rating of the Inverter is? Enough to run a small electric kettle? Doesn't worry me as I'm a coffee drinker but the wife needs here tea and her hairdryer (she bought 1200W one specifically for the hire boats!)

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Hi Gusty, it's a Sterling and the previous owner used to run a travel electric kettle on it. I haven't had a chance to measure the airdraft, etc.. yet, I will check the rating of the inverter at the same time.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Just to add a couple of observations.

The KAD44 are a good engine and whilst most large engines don’t have any real world issues running at low speed in my experience there have been instances of the 44 not getting sufficient oil to the top of the block at low revs with fairly serious consequences. There is, apparently, a fix that I recall being mentioned on here many years ago but I can’t recall the detail.

I have been looking at the Wallas diesel stoves, which are eye wateringly expensive. Searching online I found tales on forums of them sometimes being problematic with spares being expensive and poor after-sales support. I know this is just forum chat, which can sometimes give a less than balanced perspective (some did sing their praises), but worth doing due diligence to satisfy yourself. SWMBO couldn’t get passed the cost of one so it looks as though we will be sticking with gas! 😏
I get your point about cost and so forth of the Wallas, but if, like me and potentially Gusty, you buy a boat with one fitted, why would you rip it out if it works really well? Ours works really well and we love the lack of fumes and not having the worry gas onboard. I wouldn't spend a king's ransom on buying and fitting one new though.

Greg2

Visit site
I get your point about cost and so forth of the Wallas, but if, like me and potentially Gusty, you buy a boat with one fitted, why would you rip it out if it works really well? Ours works really well and we love the lack of fumes and not having the worry gas onboard. I wouldn't spend a king's ransom on buying and fitting one new though.
I completely agree - I would actually like one and if we had been lucky enough to have one it would definitely have stayed put! 😁

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Hi Gusty,
I took my tape up to the boat and got some measurements.
The airdraft is around 3m from the actual water line to the top of the radar arch - not including any masts, etc.. The radar arch is 2.1m wide at its base on the cabin roof and about 1.8m wide at the top.
The inverter is a Sterling Pro S but it is in an awkward spot and I couldn't see what amperage or wattage it is.
Hope that this helps a little with your boat buying.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Hi Gusty,
I took my tape up to the boat and got some measurements.
The airdraft is around 3m from the actual water line to the top of the radar arch - not including any masts, etc.. The radar arch is 2.1m wide at its base on the cabin roof and about 1.8m wide at the top.
The inverter is a Sterling Pro S but it is in an awkward spot and I couldn't see what amperage or wattage it is.
Hope that this helps a little with your boat buying.
Thank you so much.The Aquador 32 is certainly top of my list as it meets all my requirements