Boat not been lifted for 9 years- advice sought regarding purchase

dave220

Visit site
Hi I am going to change from motor to sail and have found a possible boat. She hasn't been lifted or anti fouled for approx 9 years and no anodes have been changed. She hasn't been on shore power. The owner tells me he has maintained the engine and uses her infrequently so is a bit tired inside. My question? Is the hull likely to be damaged by being left so long and what about the shaft, prop and seacocks? She is a good distance from my home and I would obviously get a survey before purchase. Is she worth the risk of a 500 mile round trip or will she need a ridiculous amount of work to get her seaworthy again?
All the best Dave

jonrarit

Visit site
where's the boat. perhaps someone local knows her or can look her over for you but sounds alarm bells are ringing very loud....

jr

jac

Visit site
In other words the boat has been neglected for 9 years.
if he hasn't done the basics such as changing the anodes, antifouling etc ( which could be done by drying out) then what else hasn't he done. Even if not used, the lines, sails will have been subjected to 9 years of UV degradation. The standing rigging will probably be old and the insurers will probably request it be renewed.

Don't waste your time. I wouldn't do a 5 mile round trip to see it.

Assuming the boat isn't of historic or emotional value to you then the only way buying such a boat would make sense would be if the cost was so cheap that you could afford to gut her, replace everything and come in at the same cost as a well sorted example already on the market.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
9 years in the water with no antifouling? There must be some trees down there on the hull under the water line.....

Depends where she's kept. My last boat went six years without antifouling at Crinan (summers in the sea, winters in the canal) and seven years without antifouling at Kirkcudbright, and in neither case was there more than the occasional barnacle and a bit of slime to remove. The marina at Kirkcudbright is in the river, so also has a lot of salinity changes.

A GRP hull is very unlikely to be damaged by nine years afloat, seacocks shouldn't be bonded to anodes anyway and so the only concern would be the propeller. I fitted a whopping great anode to my boat five years ago and it's still going strong, nowhere near ready for renewal.

So overall I wouldn't be completely pessimistic. One of the joys of modern boats is their resistance to neglect, and nine years shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. I think I'd want to see some photographs before driving a 500 mile return trip, though.

VicS

Visit site
Hi I am going to change from motor to sail and have found a possible boat. She hasn't been lifted or anti fouled for approx 9 years and no anodes have been changed. She hasn't been on shore power. The owner tells me he has maintained the engine and uses her infrequently so is a bit tired inside. My question? Is the hull likely to be damaged by being left so long and what about the shaft, prop and seacocks? She is a good distance from my home and I would obviously get a survey before purchase. Is she worth the risk of a 500 mile round trip or will she need a ridiculous amount of work to get her seaworthy again?
All the best Dave

You dont say what make/ class off boat or what sort of boat you aspire to.

Unless there is some special reason to do otherwise I think I would agree with the others not to make a 500 mile journey solely to look at a boat that has been afloat and neglected for 9 years.

OTOH you might be missing out on bargain of course!

fireball

Visit site
It really does depend on the boat - with 9 years afloat I would assume a certain level of osmosis - so cost to remedy that. I'd also assume that with no anode change the underwater metalwork could've suffered - whilst the seacocks & skin fittings may be ok, it's safer to assume not. You don't say if it's shaft or saildrive - eitherway I'd assume overhaul of that and obviously there's the rudder fittings to be checked. The keel should be ok, but it does depend.

If she's only been used infrequently it does suggest lack of maintenance (even if the engine oil & coolant has been changed) ....

All in all, a 500 mile round trip could only be warranted if she was priced at a level where you could do all the above and still be cheaper than a local equivalent - which TBH is highly unlikely ...

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Lots of boats for sale in much better condition.

I don't think we know enough to say that. Neglected for nine years could be a heck of a lot better, though maybe grubbier, than thrashed around the cans for five.

It really does depend on the boat - with 9 years afloat I would assume a certain level of osmosis - so cost to remedy that. I'd also assume that with no anode change the underwater metalwork could've suffered - whilst the seacocks & skin fittings may be ok, it's safer to assume not. You don't say if it's shaft or saildrive - eitherway I'd assume overhaul of that and obviously there's the rudder fittings to be checked. The keel should be ok, but it does depend./QUOTE]

Nine years in the water is nothing - most marina based boats will clock that up in ten years or so, and 2005 boats don't all need osmosis treatment. Similarly, seacocks and skin fittings do not all need replaced by nine years old. They might, if the makers used brass, but most won't. Anodic protection is irrelevant since seacocks and skin fittings are not, in the UK, bonded.

It really does depend very much on the type of boat.

dave220

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking along the same lines as most of you have said myself. She is a 1979 hallberg rassey if that makes any difference. I know these are quality boats but not sure they could stand the neglect I am assuming has taken place. She has been on a mud berth and talking to the seller she is not bad at all. Just can't see it myself with the lack of maintenance
Thanks Dave

graham

Visit site
On a mud berth the boat isn't constantly afloat anyway.

Ihave seen boats much more badly neglected that turned out ok.

Sails may well be damaged by chaffe or uv if they are left hanked on.

Engine may have internal problems if not used for years.

If it looks a good buy I would do a visit taking someone with the knowledge to give the engine a check over.Its surprising what a good mechanic can detect by listening smelling etc.

If the boat has been closed up for long periods look carefully for mold or mildew.very difficult to get rid of and the upholstery can cost thousands to replace.

good luck.

dave220

Visit site
Thanks Graham, As an ex motor mechanic I am confident with engine checks its more the hull, shaft and prop condition, cutlass bearing etc that concerns me. The seller seems reluctant to supply recent pictures too which is alarming

QUOTE=graham;5226856]On a mud berth the boat isn't constantly afloat anyway.

Ihave seen boats much more badly neglected that turned out ok.

Sails may well be damaged by chaffe or uv if they are left hanked on.

Engine may have internal problems if not used for years.

If it looks a good buy I would do a visit taking someone with the knowledge to give the engine a check over.Its surprising what a good mechanic can detect by listening smelling etc.

If the boat has been closed up for long periods look carefully for mold or mildew.very difficult to get rid of and the upholstery can cost thousands to replace.

good luck.[/QUOTE]

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The seller seems reluctant to supply recent pictures too which is alarming.

In that case ...

HB101_L.jpg

jac

Visit site
Thanks Graham, As an ex motor mechanic I am confident with engine checks its more the hull, shaft and prop condition, cutlass bearing etc that concerns me. The seller seems reluctant to supply recent pictures too which is alarming

Run now.

anyone who won't send you photos / details is hiding something. Unless you really want this type of boat - run away. if you want this type of boat, maybe someone from here can go and have a look for you. - Where is she?

sighmoon

Visit site
46 year old teak decks would put me off, but that has nothing to do with lack of maintenance.

Looking at how many people here have (with good reason) dismissed it out of hand, my guess is there won't be many offers on the table, and it could go for a song, but probably not until its been for sale for a while.

dave220

Visit site
Run now.

anyone who won't send you photos / details is hiding something. Unless you really want this type of boat - run away. if you want this type of boat, maybe someone from here can go and have a look for you. - Where is she?

She is in Newhaven on the south coast. If I don't get any recent pics in the next few days I will leave it I think and look for something a little closer to home.

Pinnacle

Visit site
46 year old teak decks would put me off, but that has nothing to do with lack of maintenance.

Looking at how many people here have (with good reason) dismissed it out of hand, my guess is there won't be many offers on the table, and it could go for a song, but probably not until its been for sale for a while.

Do you really think HR would have put a 10yr old deck on a new boat? :rolleyes: :D [Sorry - couldn't resist!]

jac

Visit site
She is in Newhaven on the south coast. If I don't get any recent pics in the next few days I will leave it I think and look for something a little closer to home.

Is there anyone near Newhaven that could pop along and have a look for the OP. Bit far for me but presumably some readers must live nearby and would welcome the opportunity to look over a boat.