Boat maintenance

mbuco

Visit site
I would like to ask someone who own the boat on the long distance, overseas for example. How does he do a maintenance. I red that the engine must to run every 14 days.

JasB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I read that the engine must to run every 14 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God, I hope not!

I assume you mean people who live far away from their moorings and can only get to their boat once every one or two months.
The problem is exactly why my two (rather well off £-wise) brothers who love sailing do NOT own a boat...so they say.
I would assume most people either make the effort to get to their boats once a fortnight (if the engines need running every 14 days), or make sure the engines are the type that don't need running quite so often.

albineer

Visit site
There must be many boats which are left for long periods and even more where the engine is not run for several months. Our boat is kept in France in a marina. We trust the marina staff to keep an eye on her and it's worked pretty well. We've only had one problem in ten years. Sometimes we only visit our boat once a year and she's always been clean and dry inside. She's old and unsophisticated so doesn't need a vast amount of maintenance. We follow the layup procedure in the manual for the volvo 11mc which doesn't seem to suffer. I don't think the engine is the problem it's more the hull and topsides and making sure she doesn't sink for one reason or another. Also the batteries don't last as long as they ought but replacing the batteries is a lot cheaper than paying southern England's berthing charges. We sometimes have work carried out by the marina staff in our absence, some of which i could have done if I'd had more time. That has worked pretty well too. Last year we had the boat lifted out by a peripatetic engineer who cleaned the bottom and fitted new through hulls. We didn't meet face to face at all. That's worked OK too. The boat is not in as good condition as it would be if we visited more often but at least we have a boat in reasonable condition which gives us a lot of pleasure in a place we want to be at a price we're prepared to pay but you do need to think a lot further ahead.