More stupid questions :)

PlanB

Visit site
I suppose my initial thought, on how accurate these numbers are, are me trying to figure out if i can retire early :) the less i need etc.
Ah, now you introduce an additional thing to consider - early retirement.
Don't know what you intend to do with your boat, but our plan was to buy the boat, learn to use it, take it to the Med and live aboard.
We retired at 55. If we'd left it till we were 65, we wouldn't have been fit enough to handle the boat, and one of us would have died a couple of years later.
We were so glad we had the time on the boat.

V1701

Visit site
And if we're talking living aboard you may or may not choose to factor in depreciation - you might be able to buy a little flat with what you're about to spend on your liveaboard now but in 10 years time you'd be unlikely to be able to sell it and buy the same little flat with the proceeds...

An aside - work colleagues sister & BIL bought a park home, sold it for quite a lot less couple of years later and if you factor in the yearly fees, etc. it cost them several thousand for each visit they made to it while they had it. Bonkers...

Personally I would never in a million years own a boat of any significant size were it not for being able to live on it & hence not have to pay extortionate private rent. Instead I pay extortionate mooring fees...:ROFLMAO:

Visit site
And if we're talking living aboard you may or may not choose to factor in depreciation - you might be able to buy a little flat with what you're about to spend on your liveaboard now but in 10 years time you'd be unlikely to be able to sell it and buy the same little flat with the proceeds...

An aside - work colleagues sister & BIL bought a park home, sold it for quite a lot less couple of years later and if you factor in the yearly fees, etc. it cost them several thousand for each visit they made to it while they had it. Bonkers...

Personally I would never in a million years own a boat of any significant size were it not for being able to live on it & hence not have to pay extortionate private rent. Instead I pay extortionate mooring fees...:ROFLMAO:

So i have posted previously about my "i have a dream" moment. Today was the first step, hired a 40' for the day to see if any of us were green, luckily all was ok apart from the boat was too small as a liveaboard.

my plan is sell the house, and buy a yacht for a while staying in the UK and then sail away, I currently work remotely so i can work building a second pot which counters waiting to pay the mortgage off for that extra income.

step 2, day skipper theory course...

Tranona

Visit site
There is a lot more to pursuing that dream apart from finding a boat that suits, learning how to operate it and equip it for living a board.

The barriers now are that living aboard in the UK is becoming increasingly difficult because many marinas ban it outright and others tolerate it particularly in the off peak season. Berths and moorings for larger boats are in short supply. To make life more complicated if you are UK citizens the amount of time you can spend in European waters is severely restricted. The classical year to get to the med, couple of years there and maybe then head west is no longer practical.

So spend some time researching what is feasible before making any commitments - and ignore if you are EI citizens!

Visit site
There is a lot more to pursuing that dream apart from finding a boat that suits, learning how to operate it and equip it for living a board.

The barriers now are that living aboard in the UK is becoming increasingly difficult because many marinas ban it outright and others tolerate it particularly in the off peak season. Berths and moorings for larger boats are in short supply. To make life more complicated if you are UK citizens the amount of time you can spend in European waters is severely restricted. The classical year to get to the med, couple of years there and maybe then head west is no longer practical.

So spend some time researching what is feasible before making any commitments - and ignore if you are EI citizens!
Oh i reckon we will be back in the free movement section quick enough

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I wasnt aware that the % included things like moorings/marinas. i'm guessing for marinas, the best idea for just staying in the UK is goto the cheapest boatfolk marina, get a yearly berth and then spend a month in each of their marinas around the UK?
Marina and cheap, you live in a different universe to me.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I suppose my initial thought, on how accurate these numbers are, are me trying to figure out if i can retire early :) the less i need etc.
That really depends on your income.

I retired at 58 on a couple of pensions and supplement those with some zero hours contracts which gives me the same 'take home' pay as I had with working full time - and a lot less stress.

Having the zero hours contracts allows me to pick and choose when I work, i.e. I work more in the winter that the summer, I can head off for a couple of months with out having to lose a contract.

Visit site
Marina and cheap, you live in a different universe to me.
They do seem to vary a bit between the solent and lets say the north.

That really depends on your income.

I retired at 58 on a couple of pensions and supplement those with some zero hours contracts which gives me the same 'take home' pay as I had with working full time - and a lot less stress.

Having the zero hours contracts allows me to pick and choose when I work, i.e. I work more in the winter that the summer, I can head off for a couple of months with out having to lose a contract.
The way i see it, I have enough equity for a decent boat, and still currently working remote, which gives me a decent salary. flogging the house, either pumping a lot more into my pension for the foreseeable or investing for 10 years should give me a decent livable salary with a couple of hundred k aside for an apartment in bangkok for example if/when i hang up the sails.

3 things i learnt from my trip yesterday. 1) don't forget sun cream (im burnt to a cinder). 2) loads of people livaboard in marinas flying under the radar without hassle. 3) A jenneau 409 just isnt big enough as a liveaboad.

I also need to downsize which includes a garage full of woodworking tools and machines, not an easy or fast task.

doug748

Visit site
It's a big step up once you start heading towards 50 ft loa. Not only do you begin to get too big for mooring fields and the ground tackle itself but you start to find limited space in marinas and can actually be turned away at busy times.

Needs careful thought.

Visit site
It's a big step up once you start heading towards 50 ft loa. Not only do you begin to get too big for mooring fields and the ground tackle itself but you start to find limited space in marinas and can actually be turned away at busy times.

Needs careful thought.

i'm thinking more 45, but lets see what southampton has in store.

Visit site
That 20% ratio for a sub £10K boat is about right, even a swinging mooring with half decent access, some club fees, winter storage and a bit of maintenance done yourself is likely to be well north of £2k.

Obviously a £100k boat kept in the same location doesn't need an extra £18k every year to maintain.

The example given above of £20k for dropping a 40 footer in one of the most expensive marinas in the country and paying someone else to do the maintenance is accurate and probably ideal if you're cash rich and time poor.

You could easily reduce those costs to £5k by doing everything yourself, choosing a different berth and not visiting the chandlers buying 'essential' items you can almost certainly live without.

Have a read of Get Real, Get Gone by Rick Page.
Both Rick Page's books just got delivered, thanks for the recommendation

Humblebee

Visit site
Sounds to me as though you would benefit from a bit more boating experience, if you are planning to do Day Skipper shorebased and trying a day on a boat to see if sea sickness is an issue?
Have you thought about buying something smaller, and cheaper, and trying sailing for a few weeks every year before deciding that being a liveaboard is right for you?
Just wondering, that's all.

Visit site
Sounds to me as though you would benefit from a bit more boating experience, if you are planning to do Day Skipper shorebased and trying a day on a boat to see if sea sickness is an issue?
Have you thought about buying something smaller, and cheaper, and trying sailing for a few weeks every year before deciding that being a liveaboard is right for you?
Just wondering, that's all.
so my plan currently is do the day skipper theory first, then book the practical with my wife and daughter doing comp crew at the same time. if i don't pass then that's ok, I can always come back to it but it will give me a week on a boat. when i booked this last day the only place i could find well advertised was out of Plymouth which is a 3 hour drive which is a pita.

This is currently just my ideal, it may well change. Id like to retire early which also means im pumping as much as i can into my pension so id rather not buy something at this stage. id also like to see what the new boats at southampton this year will bring as by the time i get to buy something they will probably be in my budget when its time.

I am fully aware this doesn't all come across well or arse about face, not the easiest thing to converse in message boards. did have a great chat with the skipper of hte charter though.

PlanB

Visit site
Something that's going to affect a lot of people's plans to retire early is that the government is going to increase the age at which you can draw your private pension to 57 from 2028.

Visit site
Something that's going to affect a lot of people's plans to retire early is that the government is going to increase the age at which you can draw your private pension to 57 from 2028.
exactly, that gives me 8 years to prepare. i'm in no rush, i plan on taking my time, getting experience and certs before buying a boat. i just have a lot of questions along the way.