Boat Insurance UK Part 1 kept in Türkiye

Irish Rover

Visit site
@Baggywrinkle has a similar thread on the go which I don't want to hijack. I'm in the process of buying a boat which will be registered on UK Part 1 and based in a marina in Türkiye. My wife and I, both Irish citizens resident in Türkiye, will own most of shares. Two of my sons will each have a small shareholding - one resident in Türkiye with dual Irish and Turkish citizenship and the other in UK with Irish citizenship. Heretofore, I've insured my boats with the Turkish arm of an international insurer but rates have gone up considerably here and I'm anxious to shop around. Previously a couple of UK and Irish companies had turned me down because my boat was registered in Türkiye. That's no longer the case and we now also have one UK based part owner. Before I turn to Google can anyone recommend a UK or Ireland based company/companies worth approaching. I'd rather send an email setting out the full facts than fill an online form.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I've emailed a few companies in UK and Ireland today asking if they'll quote me. The boat is 2018. Would I be correct in assuming an insured survey will not be necessary?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We live in France and have our boat in Greece. The UK office of Haven insurañce were unable to continue insuring us after Brexit but instituted an Irish branch to cover this situation. We still pay in pounds Sterling, same rates as previously

Tranona

Visit site
I've emailed a few companies in UK and Ireland today asking if they'll quote me. The boat is 2018. Would I be correct in assuming an insured survey will not be necessary?
Very likely require a survey nd valuation. your prepurchase survey will do, or have one by the measurement surveyor.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
We live in France and have our boat in Greece. The UK office of Haven insurañce were unable to continue insuring us after Brexit but instituted an Irish branch to cover this situation. We still pay in pounds Sterling, same rates as previously

Whether UK insurers will offer cover appears to be based on where the policyholder is resident (or appears to be resident) not where the boat is. With a UK address, I insure my UK boat based in Portugal via UK broker but a friend with UK flagged boat here but without a UK address has been refused by the same insurers.

Maybe Irish Rover's son based in UK will have better chance of getting cover with UK insurers?

Last edited:

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
@Baggywrinkle has a similar thread on the go which I don't want to hijack. I'm in the process of buying a boat which will be registered on UK Part 1 and based in a marina in Türkiye. My wife and I, both Irish citizens resident in Türkiye, will own most of shares. Two of my sons will each have a small shareholding - one resident in Türkiye with dual Irish and Turkish citizenship and the other in UK with Irish citizenship. Heretofore, I've insured my boats with the Turkish arm of an international insurer but rates have gone up considerably here and I'm anxious to shop around. Previously a couple of UK and Irish companies had turned me down because my boat was registered in Türkiye. That's no longer the case and we now also have one UK based part owner. Before I turn to Google can anyone recommend a UK or Ireland based company/companies worth approaching. I'd rather send an email setting out the full facts than fill an online form.
My findings so far, to insure in the U.K. it does indeed appear that I need a U.K. address and I am also being asked if I am U.K. resident.

However ...

To Register on Part 1 of the U.K. Ships Register as a U.K. citizen, resident abroad, you need a "ship's representative person" who is resident in the U.K. with a U.K. address. I have asked the question of the insurance brokers if this address, which is acceptable for the UKSR would also be acceptable for insurance purposes.

I'm waiting for a reply.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Whether UK insurers will offer cover appears to be based on where the policyholder is resident (or appears to be resident) not where the boat is. With a UK address, I insure my UK based boat in Portugal via UK broker but a friend with UK flagged boat here but without a UK address has been refused by the same insurers.

Maybe Irish Rover's son based in UK will have better chance of getting cover with UK insurers?
Indeed so. Our boat in Mediterranean waters for 20 years has always been insured by HKJ's UK office when we lived in UK but they were no longer able to do this after Brexit living in France .

Irish Rover

Visit site
Indeed so. Our boat in Mediterranean waters for 20 years has always been insured by HKJ's UK office when we lived in UK but they were no longer able to do this after Brexit living in France .
Haven have said they cannot quote me based on my residence in Türkiye. I've gone back to them to say one of the registered owners is UK resident [see my #1] and I'm awaiting a response.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I’m resident in Switzerland so not EU but in Schengen. UK part 1 boat in Spain. I had to change after brexit so I’m with Pants now. Had to fill in their massive form and send pictures but they accepted a 3 year old survey. Only thing they won’t insure without a new survey is the rig (12 years old) so I’m having it checked as we speak.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Haven have said they cannot quote me based on my residence in Türkiye. I've gone back to them to say one of the registered owners is UK resident [see my #1] and I'm awaiting a response.
Reply received :unsure:
"Please note that Turkish regulations do not allow us to issue insurance to residents of Turkey. We can only accept the address of the main owner which is yourself".

Irish Rover

Visit site
Pants UK replied yesterday to say they "can no longer offer terms to Turkish residents or Southern Ireland residents". I went back to them and pointed out that one of the owners is UK resident. Reply today that "all owners need to have a residential address within a country that Pantaenius UK are licenced for".

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Pants UK replied yesterday to say they "can no longer offer terms to Turkish residents or Southern Ireland residents". I went back to them and pointed out that one of the owners is UK resident. Reply today that "all owners need to have a residential address within a country that Pantaenius UK are licenced for".

What about Pants German office/branch?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Reply received :unsure:
"Please note that Turkish regulations do not allow us to issue insurance to residents of Turkey. We can only accept the address of the main owner which is yourself".
Also received a reply from my earlier post ...

My findings so far, to insure in the U.K. it does indeed appear that I need a U.K. address and I am also being asked if I am U.K. resident.

However ...

To Register on Part 1 of the U.K. Ships Register as a U.K. citizen, resident abroad, you need a "ship's representative person" who is resident in the U.K. with a U.K. address. I have asked the question of the insurance brokers if this address, which is acceptable for the UKSR would also be acceptable for insurance purposes.

I'm waiting for a reply.

Reply is ...

"Unfortunately, on this basis we would not be able to use the U.K. address and would need to use the German address, and apply both rates of tax."

ashtead

Visit site
It would seem to me you need an EU insurance company or branch . Technically you are looking at 2 things here namely licence of the broker to sell you cover and the licence of the insurer to write the risk . I would have thought a German insurer such as Allianz should be able to write cover brokered by Pants. You might find Zurich branch in Ireland might have a marine division (in UK the brand is navigators) . It’s all to do with location of risk in case that helps and location depends on class of business so each type of risk has different location rules . Your issue is you are outside EU by what you say being a Turkish resident however maybe you have anIrishaddress? I’m sure an Irish resident can insure a boat in Turkey?

Irish Rover

Visit site
It would seem to me you need an EU insurance company or branch . Technically you are looking at 2 things here namely licence of the broker to sell you cover and the licence of the insurer to write the risk . I would have thought a German insurer such as Allianz should be able to write cover brokered by Pants. You might find Zurich branch in Ireland might have a marine division (in UK the brand is navigators) . It’s all to do with location of risk in case that helps and location depends on class of business so each type of risk has different location rules . Your issue is you are outside EU by what you say being a Turkish resident however maybe you have anIrishaddress? I’m sure an Irish resident can insure a boat in Turkey?
As far as I can see the insurance companies/brokers are as confused as I am. Some seem to think it is the flag country determines whether they can insure, some seem to think it is the residence of the principal owner, some think they have to look at the residence of all owners, some think nationality of owners matters and one even wants the "registered address of the yacht". At least they're not yet asking which anchor I have.