Blue ensign dick'ed

Colvic Watson

Visit site
YOu also need a warrant to wear one, issued by the club only to registered vessels, otherwise it is illegal. YOU can buy US flags too and probably Russian, Iranian or Vatican. Don't make it legal, clever or likely!

I have a Vatican ensign and use it regularly. I fly blue, red and the Vatican when the mood suggests it and enjoy them all. Life is too short to fly the same colour ensign all the time.

When going foreign I restrict myself to blue or red, life's too short to pee off a French customs Johnny.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
Don't forget the qualifying burgee :)
I've found my defaced red duster is a great conversation starter, and the Scouts are very proud of it (rightly too).

We plonked it on a narrow boat last weekend and did colours twice a day - people loved the bosuns calls going off, they didn't seem bothered at all about it being defaced :)

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Colours are a fun tradition, the training boats in Weymouth were very busy with them and the kids loved it. I don't have any qualifying burgees but I think what the heck, if it bothers someone then I'll apologise and fly the Vatican for that day instead. Blue ensigns really suit our boat so we made up our own defaced one as well as the regular blue one.

Robin

Visit site
Our original defaced blue was obtained as new members of our club as it was more distinctive indicator than just the burgee alone for other members to see. However they were expensive and therefore when offshore and not in club company we always wore the red ensign proudly and to this day it hangs on our lounge wall whereas our current gawdy USA rag is covered by a fitted Sunbrella sleeve on it's staff on the boat unless we actually go out sailing.

sailorman

Visit site
Colours are a fun tradition, the training boats in Weymouth were very busy with them and the kids loved it. I don't have any qualifying burgees but I think what the heck, if it bothers someone then I'll apologise and fly the Vatican for that day instead. Blue ensigns really suit our boat so we made up our own defaced one as well as the regular blue one.
Now she is repainted white , why not a nice White Ensign

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Now she is repainted white , why not a nice White Ensign

That's just so Romford Navy.

I'm happy with the blue, it looks smarter and keeps its colour longer, I've been asked why we fly it and I say because I like it, flags are great, they have the ability to make some people very happy and other people very angry and everyone thinks you're a better sailor if you fly a blue one.

[163233]

Visit site
...otherwise it is illegal.

I see, you can wear your funny flag, but if I do it you'll summon the justice system to crush my freedom of expression?

https://www.liberty-human-rights.or...uman-rights-act/article-10-freedom-expression
This includes the right to communicate and to express oneself in any medium, including through words, pictures, images and actions (including through public protest and demonstrations).

You brutal oppressor of humanity you...

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
How many aircraft did you see o/b her

As she's a helicopter carrier, you might have seen dozens on board. (And there might have been lots of aircraft on board all in the hangar....)

However she's going through Operational Sea Training at the moment, so won't get aircraft embarked for a little while. On deck or in the hangar.

I was coming across the channel yesterday early hours and could hear her broadcasts warning of live firing; she was my last ship when I was serving and I well remember the OST days on her..

Robin

Visit site
I see, you can wear your funny flag, but if I do it you'll summon the justice system to crush my freedom of expression?

https://www.liberty-human-rights.or...uman-rights-act/article-10-freedom-expression

You brutal oppressor of humanity you...

Currently we cannot have red or blue defaced or not and have to wear this rag. Not because it matches the colour scheme (it doesn't) but because as we have a USA registered and documented boat, my dear SWMBO being Mercan and non-USA citizens being unable to register, we have to or get sent to Guantanamo to reflect on the error of our ways Nothing to do BTW with freedom of expression. If you want to show the world you are a prat feel free to,because frankly my dear I couldn't give a solitarydamn. Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't make the rules. :nonchalance:

sailorman

Visit site

I'm happy with the blue, it looks smarter and keeps its colour longer, I've been asked why we fly it and I say because I like it, flags are great, they have the ability to make some people very happy and other people very angry and everyone thinks you're a better sailor if you fly a blue one.
I warrant you, you could well end up,up the creek without a paddle

Poignard

Visit site

If you're happy with it that's the only justification you need. Anyone who judges you by what colour your ensign is ought to "get a life".

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I don't understand how people can get so worked up (one way or the other) about red, white or blue ensigns, defaced or not, or even vatican flags and pink pirate flags.

In the wider scheme of things, this all pales into insignificance. When it comes down to it, all that matters is, have you got an East Coast Forum burgee?

;)