Blue ensign dick'ed

AuntyRinum

Visit site

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
On the subject and while I remember it. (I may have told this tale on here before.)

A few years ago the RN/RM sailing team had a gennaker made for one of their boats in the pattern and colours of a white ensign. Someone from the RYS spotted them flying it as they raced off Cowes and raised a complaint. They weren't squadron members in an approved size of craft and how dare they fly what was effectively a huge White Ensign.

My understanding is that they were firmly reminded who gave the RYS their warrant to issue permits for members yachts to wear the white and they could (in no uncertain terms) wind their necks in and take a running jump up their own pomposity.

Sandyman

Visit site
On the subject and while I remember it. (I may have told this tale on here before.)

A few years ago the RN/RM sailing team had a gennaker made for one of their boats in the pattern and colours of a white ensign. Someone from the RYS spotted them flying it as they raced off Cowes and raised a complaint. They weren't squadron members in an approved size of craft and how dare they fly what was effectively a huge White Ensign.

My understanding is that they were firmly reminded who gave the RYS their warrant to issue permits for members yachts to wear the white and they could (in no uncertain terms) wind their necks in and take a running jump up their own pomposity.

You do surprise me. Being an ex- 2 1/2 ringer I would have thought the snobbery of the RYS would have been right up your street :)

Story I heard a few years ago concerned Admiral Big Wilf Graham when he was Flag Officer Pompey. He was invited to unveil a plaque at the RYS. He atteded with his entourage, FlagO, Fleety Writer, Driver etc etc. Having unveiled the plaque with the usual pomp
he was invited into the bar for drinks & stickies. Turning to his entourage he had just indicated to them to follow his when a snot from the RYS informed him that he & his FlagO where welcome but the others would not be allowed into the bar. At which Big Wilf replied that if his Staff were not welcome then neither was he & they promptly departed.
True dit ? Not sure but having know Big Wilf in the 70's it would not surprise me. He may have been a senior Naval Officer but he knew
that in order to gain respect you had to show it as well. A true gentleman & one of the very few naval officers I had any respect for..

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
You do surprise me. Being an ex- 2 1/2 ringer I would have thought the snobbery of the RYS would have been right up your street :)

Story I heard a few years ago concerned Admiral Big Wilf Graham when he was Flag Officer Pompey. He was invited to unveil a plaque at the RYS. He atteded with his entourage, FlagO, Fleety Writer, Driver etc etc. Having unveiled the plaque with the usual pomp
he was invited into the bar for drinks & stickies. Turning to his entourage he had just indicated to them to follow his when a snot from the RYS informed him that he & his FlagO where welcome but the others would not be allowed into the bar. At which Big Wilf replied that if his Staff were not welcome then neither was he & they promptly departed.
True dit ? Not sure but having know Big Wilf in the 70's it would not surprise me. He may have been a senior Naval Officer but he knew
that in order to gain respect you had to show it as well. A true gentleman & one of the very few naval officers I had any respect for..

An ex commanding officer of mine who was a keen sailor got invited to the Squadron for a dinner. He went in blazer and chinos or suit (I forget which) and was completely embarrassed as they all wore some sort of special 'mess kit'. I thought it was rude/thoughtless of them not to specify the expected rig.

I'm confused by the reference to 'ex two and a half'. Were you referring to yourself, because despite ending up with lots of years seniority, I carried no rank as a Naval Padre. It's a jealously guarded tradition that you are by custom the rank of the person you are talking to. (I spent a lot of time as a trainee or an AB. )

I find it highly amusing that I am now a Recall officer with the rank of Lt in the combined cadets!!!

[2068]

Visit site
Slight Thread Drift, but I stumbled on this:

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Navy_List_1850s/Chaplains.htm

1. There will in future be four classes of Chaplains who will rank as follows :-
•Fourth Class.- Chaplains under 10 years' service to rank with Lieutenants to the Royal Navy.
•Third Class.- Chaplains above 10 and under 15 years' service to rank with Commanders.
•Second Class.- Chaplains above 15 and under 20 years’ service to rank with Captains under three years' standing.
•First Class.- Chaplains above 20 years' service to rank with Captains above three years' standing.

It also said that if you had above 15 and under 20 years' service, you should expect 14 shillings per day, at which point I noticed the date...

Sandyman

Visit site
Might be wrong but it had always been my understanding that all Padrea(s) held the rank of 2 1/2. Times change I suppose.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Landing Ships Logistic (the Knights of the Round Table class e.g. Sit Galahad) were RFAs with, if required, an embarked RCT/RLC detachment to run the Ship to Shore Mexefloats. Similar situation now with the Bay class replacements.

The RCT/RLC run Ramped Craft Logistic which are slightly larger versions of the RM landing craft. Their purpose is shifting combat stores ashore although they can be used to support the RM in an assault landing.

Finally, the LSLs used to be 'owned' by the Army and had a principle peacetime role in support of the British Army On the Rhine. They were tasked by Director Movements (Army) who also oversaw all ship chartering for stores and personnel movement. The reason I came over all pedantic is that I was the staff officer doing the job for three years in the 1980s.

Oh, and the RFA blue ensign is disfigured by an anchor. Source is here http://www.flyingcolours.org/product/royal-navy-flags/royal-fleet-auxiliary-ensign.html.

As per my last, RCLs now gone, the last two a couple of years back, how nothing bigger than a couple of work boats and CSBs in the RLC fleet.

Fox Morgan

Visit site
Quote: I just wasted 3 minutes of my life reading that, Goodness me you're chippy and unoriginal aren't you
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?430664-Blue-ensign-dick-ed/page42#Ty7GJXP7tK4V8eQV.99

well, thanks for the feedback. Never been called chippy before.

unoriginal? How so? Care to elaborate for me?

sorry, just read into your post history, I can see you are a YBW troll type with serious sense of humour failure. Possibly need to go sailing more and lighten up. But I suspect you are socially awkward and won't be doing that.

Last edited:

Resolution

Visit site
sorry, just read into your post history, I can see you are a YBW troll type with serious sense of humour failure. Possibly need to go sailing more and lighten up. But I suspect you are socially awkward and won't be doing that.

Do I hear cheering in the wings? Beautifully phrased. Take a bow!:congratulatory:

jac

Visit site
Quote: I just wasted 3 minutes of my life reading that, Goodness me you're chippy and unoriginal aren't you
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?430664-Blue-ensign-dick-ed/page42#Ty7GJXP7tK4V8eQV.99

well, thanks for the feedback. Never been called chippy before.

unoriginal? How so? Care to elaborate for me?

Post of the thread.