Blue ensign dick'ed

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Despite my light blue / dark blue rib-digging, I am completely with grumpy on this one. During WW2, the RAF Marine Branch did sterling work, and rescued twice as many people (both military and civilian) as the RNLI.

I agree - the RN were tasked with doing different things. But so what?

In the contemporary MOD, there are ships in the RN, RFA and Army.

I never heard too much chuntering (or any at all) in the RN about the Army having ships. In fact they run some ships very similar to the LPD's the RN ruins as part of amphibious capability of the UK. Its a bizarre twist of accounting to persuade the bean counters in London to pay for the amphibious capability that we are signed up to NATO to provide but they are very reluctant to pay for.

awol

Visit site
I agree - the RN were tasked with doing different things. But so what?

In the contemporary MOD, there are ships in the RN, RFA and Army.

I never heard too much chuntering (or any at all) in the RN about the Army having ships. In fact they run some ships very similar to the LPD's the RN ruins as part of amphibious capability of the UK. Its a bizarre twist of accounting to persuade the bean counters in London to pay for the amphibious capability that we are signed up to NATO to provide but they are very reluctant to pay for.

Are you sure you meant "ruins"?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
In fact they run some ships very similar to the LPD's the RN ruins as part of amphibious capability of the UK. Its a bizarre twist of accounting to persuade the bean counters in London to pay for the amphibious capability that we are signed up to NATO to provide but they are very reluctant to pay for.

I think you imagined that one unless you're going back to the '70s when the (old) LSLs were transferred to the RFA.

Quandary

Visit site
Now look at what has happened, a thread which was a model of its kind and probably surpassing any of the many previous threads here on the same subject, running to over 300 fascinating posts encompassing national pride, social science and military history all in good humour with only the occasional bit of banter essential to sustain it over such a long run, has now descended into childish name calling; shame on you for destroying what was threatening to become a literary triumph.

I suspect there may be too many words in that sentence, apologies?

Resolution

Visit site
Now look at what has happened, a thread which was a model of its kind and probably surpassing any of the many previous threads here on the same subject, running to over 300 fascinating posts encompassing national pride, social science and military history all in good humour with only the occasional bit of banter essential to sustain it over such a long run, has now descended into childish name calling; shame on you for destroying what was threatening to become a literary triumph.

I suspect there may be too many words in that sentence, apologies?

Also a lack of apostrophe's and split infinitive's, to gently rebuke you for an otherwise correct judgement.:encouragement:

john_morris_uk

I think you imagined that one unless you're going back to the '70s when the (old) LSLs were transferred to the RFA.

As I was on one a couple of years ago, I don't think I was imagining it... actually I think they are technically RFA's with some Army manning from the RLC so my apologies for my confusion.

Last edited:

Blue Sunray

Visit site
As I was on one a couple of years ago, I don't think I was imagining it... actually I think they are technically RFA's with some Army manning from the RLC so my apologies for my confusion.

That would most likely be the Bay Class, they are indeed RFAs, firmly part of the Naval Service, the RLC are there to man the mexefloats and sometimes do a bit of stevedoring, not to run the ship. The the Army still have a few workboats and CSB but all the old RCLs have gone, certainly nothing one might call a ship is left.

Last edited:

Blue Sunray

Visit site
https://www.army.mod.uk/logistic/regiments/24915.aspx

17 Port and Maritime Regiment.

There used to be a logistics depot just outside Helensburgh where the Army vessels used to get alongside. The Sergeants mess was very welcoming in a liquidy way!

Also known as 17 Sport and Pastime, also used to have the Army's last Railway Squadron under command. All in all a little bit different and none the worse for it.

Edited to add there is a small memorial to the Army's shipping at Gunwharf Quays - their old home.

Last edited:

BelleSerene

Visit site

The thread started by labelling wearers of blue ensigns 'd*** heads' - and you talk of it descending into childish name calling?

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
I really cannot relate to the people who get so wound up about boats wearing a blue ensign - many Royal clubs and their members are quite down-to-earth and very nice people as well as very competent sailors ... No need for amateur psychology on this but not difficult to attribute motivations and attitudes. Quite sad.

Sandyman

Visit site
Also known as 17 Sport and Pastime, also used to have the Army's last Railway Squadron under command. All in all a little bit different and none the worse for it.

Edited to add there is a small memorial to the Army's shipping at Gunwharf Quays - their old home.

That was when it was HMS Vernon. Remember it well.

[163233]

Visit site
The thread started by labelling wearers of blue ensigns 'd*** heads' - and you talk of it descending into childish name calling?

A specific wearer, who was said to be chastised with the 5 short pips that fall across our ears as sharply as any cane can fall upon buttocks.

Actually we haven't established that Ocean was showing the appropriate day shapes in a sufficiently visible position.

john_morris_uk

A specific wearer, who was said to be chastised with the 5 short pips that fall across our ears as sharply as any cane can fall upon buttocks.

Actually we haven't established that Ocean was showing the appropriate day shapes in a sufficiently visible position.

I'll wager a lot of money that she was! (I used to skulk on the signal deck and signal locker sometimes when entering or leaving harbour. I could chat to the bunting tossers and have a good look at where we were going. (Otherwise, "all hands out the rig of the day keep off the upper deck...")

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com

Landing Ships Logistic (the Knights of the Round Table class e.g. Sit Galahad) were RFAs with, if required, an embarked RCT/RLC detachment to run the Ship to Shore Mexefloats. Similar situation now with the Bay class replacements.

The RCT/RLC run Ramped Craft Logistic which are slightly larger versions of the RM landing craft. Their purpose is shifting combat stores ashore although they can be used to support the RM in an assault landing.

Finally, the LSLs used to be 'owned' by the Army and had a principle peacetime role in support of the British Army On the Rhine. They were tasked by Director Movements (Army) who also oversaw all ship chartering for stores and personnel movement. The reason I came over all pedantic is that I was the staff officer doing the job for three years in the 1980s.

Oh, and the RFA blue ensign is disfigured by an anchor. Source is here http://www.flyingcolours.org/product/royal-navy-flags/royal-fleet-auxiliary-ensign.html.