Blue ensign dick'ed

Serin

Visit site
I don't think that anyone with a blue ensign does expect any respect ( at least no more than you would give any other random person you met) This seems to be some totally imagined issue.

Yup. But there is no defence against the notions people project upon each other. C'est la vie.

Serin

Visit site
Red
Huge 3 yard by 2 yard red from a cross channel ferry - don't ask

Some oldies will remember that one of the joys of the foreign cruising of yesteryear was the facility to obtain bonded stores.

We were used to France, where you wandered up to the local caff to place your order and it appeared in a cardboard box, often containing things you hadn't ordered as well as missing some you had.

Not so in Germany. We ordered bonded stores at Holtenau on our way back from a summer in the Baltic. To our dismay they were delivered to the quayside in a sealed container by an armed and uniformed guard. We learned that the stores could not be embarked until we obtained and hoisted a specific pennant. Not having such a pennant and having no means of making one, we despatched a crew member the town to buy one.

The only pennants available were designed for large ships. In our little 26 footer the hoist ran pretty much from the deck to the spreaders. If we had added a sheet it might have made quite a good running sail.

We gave much free entertainment to the crews of ships traversing the Kiel Canal as we made our way back to the North Sea. :)

Colvic Watson

Visit site
I don't think that anyone with a blue ensign does expect any respect

Well I for one expect a lot more respect when I fly a blue ensign, I mean I'm no gynaecologist but flying the blue should count for something. As Churchill himself said "if was good enough for Nelson it's good enough for a Colvic Watson".

Serin

Visit site
Well I for one expect a lot more respect when I fly a blue ensign, I mean I'm no gynaecologist but flying the blue should count for something. As Churchill himself said "if was good enough for Nelson it's good enough for a Colvic Watson".

I see your ship from time to time (or have done) Do NOT expect any more respect from me then you would be accorded when "wearing" any of your many flags as listed. But I shall definitely complain to the Pope if I detect the slightest hint of a faux pas committed under the Vatican flag. Things have consequences, you know.

Robin

Visit site
I see your ship from time to time (or have done) Do NOT expect any more respect from me then you would be accorded when "wearing" any of your many flags as listed. But I shall definitely complain to the Pope if I detect the slightest hint of a faux pas committed under the Vatican flag. Things have consequences, you know.

Nothing that 3 hail bloody-Marys and a bunch of paper dosh on the collection plate won't sort out. OH but maybe the going bribe rate is higher in the UK than in the USA version:highly_amused:. .

jac

Visit site

Why the hell does the Vatican have a navy? Is it for the Popes bath time toys?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Why the hell does the Vatican have a navy? Is it for the Popes bath time toys?

If you don't have the ensign, you don't need to know. I have the ensign and it must be flown with the correct budgie from the aft spreaders. I'm a stickler for using the correct budgie, I don't want any retired naval chappie thinking I'm giving him the bird.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
I might buy ensign. Or the Bolivian navy.

I guess buying your own navy is the ultimate way to fly whatever flag you like, bit of an extreme solution though!

My thanks to the thread, it's been a joy to be involved and given us two new family phrases "is he a real gynaecologist?" when seeing a blue; and "What Would Churchill Do?" when choosing what ensign to fly. I'm bowing out because it feels like it's run its course but I've enjoyed the banter and I'll enjoy reading it if it continues. Meanwhile for those who like comedies:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-3-RAF-Flag-British-Royal-Air-Force-Blue-Ensign-WW2-Banner-/261098458419?hash=item3ccaae4d33:g:iGYAAOSwpDdVLlfi

Those who like tragedies:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGE-8ft-x-5ft-White-Ensign-Flag-Massive-Giant-British-Royal-Navy-Naval-Flags-/250928990758?hash=item3a6c888a26:m:mHRktrLtOCOK_hCtj8s33mw

But for those of us who got our boots muddy - and dug in rather than checked in and never slept in a floating hotel, there's a very cool ensign.

AuntyRinum

Visit site
I guess buying your own navy is the ultimate way to fly whatever flag you like, bit of an extreme solution though!

My thanks to the thread, it's been a joy to be involved and given us two new family phrases "is he a real gynaecologist?" when seeing a blue; and "What Would Churchill Do?" when choosing what ensign to fly. I'm bowing out because it feels like it's run its course but I've enjoyed the banter and I'll enjoy reading it if it continues. Meanwhile for those who like comedies:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-3-RAF-Flag-British-Royal-Air-Force-Blue-Ensign-WW2-Banner-/261098458419?hash=item3ccaae4d33:g:iGYAAOSwpDdVLlfi

Those who like tragedies:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGE-8ft-x-5ft-White-Ensign-Flag-Massive-Giant-British-Royal-Navy-Naval-Flags-/250928990758?hash=item3a6c888a26:m:mHRktrLtOCOK_hCtj8s33mw

But for those of us who got our boots muddy - and dug in rather than checked in and never slept in a floating hotel, there's a very cool ensign.
You know how this thread was titled "... dick'ed ..."? That's you, that is.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Exactly so. And I'm a member of the CA and you'll find that I'm normally flying the CA burgee. (Along with a YBW burgee and the RNSA one at the masthead.) The CA wasn't the club I was referring to when I talked about clubs 'up themselves' a bit over flags and burgees in an earlier post.

I note that one contributor to this thread is doing their trolling by confusing flag and burgee 'etiquette' with 'law' and 'rights and privileges'.

I'm not too bothered by people who can't find any enthusiasm for flag etiquette. However it's worth noting that even in our nearest in France, the authorities take a very less liberal attitude over French boats not wearing the Tricoleur. British boats that sport 'made up' ensigns to make some political point or just do it to put two fingers up to authority might not reveal their whole character by the practice but it's part of a pattern that perhaps they may be judged by. People get away with it here, but I hope they remember to change their habits if they sail very far over the horizon. The correct ensign really does matter to a lot of officials in a lot of countries. Furthermore, woe betide you if you don't put up the correct courtesy ensign as you enter their waters. Some people seem to think it's a joke. It really isn't in some places and they'll find their 'little bit of fun' expensive and causing themselves no end of grief.

I'd been in France a week before I noticed that I'd put up a Dutch courtesy flag instead of the Tricolour! I'm not sure if anyone noticed but I even had a friendly wave from an official looking boat in that. time. Maybe they just thought: roast boeuf; eediott! :eek:

Poignard

Visit site
I find the main advantage in flying a UK ensign when I go through Arzal lock is that the éclusier knows to grumble at me in my own language even, on one never to be forgotten occasion, complementing me for doing things properly :D

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Indeed - the idea is almost as stupid as sailors flying aeroplanes. The 10,000+ people rescued from the seas during WWII by RAF boats may have laughed too when they saw the RAF Ensign, though out of relief more likely...

Do bore off. (and do some research)

Last edited:

dombuckley

Visit site
Despite my light blue / dark blue rib-digging, I am completely with grumpy on this one. During WW2, the RAF Marine Branch did sterling work, and rescued twice as many people (both military and civilian) as the RNLI.