Blue ensign dick'ed

jac

Visit site
You think that the Greek port police maintain a little book of all the various colours and defacements and descriptions of the burgees and warrants required to wear them?

No of course not.

But you originally stated that you would throw the book at someone who you thought was making up arbitrary rules.

My point was that if some port policeman took exception to your purple ensign with boot and you threw the book at him it may not be wise. He may have had no power to arrest / fine you for wearing a dodgy ensign but you can bet your bottom dollar he could find some excuse to arrest you on the local version of obstructing a police officer or breach of the peace and slam you in the cells over night to cool down or whilst he makes enquiries about whether or not your purple ensign is legal.

It seems crazy to antagonise someone when breaking the law because you can. It's a bit like driving at 31 in a 30. Technically you are breaking the law but what policeman would pull you over? - most would gesture to slow down at most. But if you do it whilst leaning out the window, making piggy noises and asking if he can get you some pork cheap for your barbecue then you deserve it when he hauls you in, fines you for speeding and finds that 1 tyre is 0.1mm too worn.

dombuckley

Visit site
Blimey, this has moved on since I last looked in!

Just thought I needed to declare an "interest", and to prove that I was at a different dockyard port at the time.

pompey entrance.jpg

Blue ensign - check.
Burgee (at the masthead, the place to fly it!) - check.
Grey funnel liner with appopletic CO - No.
But about a minute later, the IOW ferry overtook us, leaving about 10 feet to spare....

Towing a clinker dinghy along the entire south coast (and back) without a problem - check. Oh no, that's a different thread.....

If anybody's interested, the anchors are a 25ib CQR forward (60m chain), a 15lb Danforth aft, and a grapnel for the dinghy.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Why's your ensign facing forward and not aft - where any true blooded Englishman's ensign always faces? You'd think a blue ensign wearer would know better.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Was he a member of the RYS or did he just fly whatever flag he felt like? I think we should be told because I've always thought he was well patriotic but I may have to reappraise that view.

I would have thought the answer to that was bleeding obvious - can you see a RYS burgee in the picture?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
But did he have a warrant for the flag and a matching burgee? And was it the third Tuesday of a month with no r's in it? I think we should be told.

AuntyRinum

Visit site
Was he a member of the RYS or did he just fly whatever flag he felt like? I think we should be told because I've always thought he was well patriotic but I may have to reappraise that view.
At Trafalgar Nelson was Vice-Admiral of the White and flew a white ensign on Victory.
On previous ships he had different ranks and flew different flags. For example, at the Battle of the Nile his flagship flew a white ensign but a blue flag at the mizzen because he was a rear admiral of the blue.
You did ask, and all of these flags have meaning, but it may be too difficult for you to comprehend why it was or is important. If you don't understand it who cares? What does it matter?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
At Trafalgar Nelson was Vice-Admiral of the White and flew a white ensign on Victory.
On previous ships he had different ranks and flew different flags. For example, at the Battle of the Nile his flagship flew a white ensign but a blue flag at the mizzen because he was a rear admiral of the blue.
You did ask, and all of these flags have meaning, but it may be too difficult for you to comprehend why it was or is important. If you don't understand it who cares? What does it matter?

I'm afraid you do sound rather boring.

jac

Visit site
Really, well I never, who'd have thought it. You've been peeking at Wikipedia haven't you?

Nope - Coming from Norfolk and going on holiday in one of the Burnhams, Nelson was kind of very visible. Most of the pubs in the Burnhams are Nelson related - The Hero being my favourite as a child.

I was also a big fan of a number of fictional naval heroes from the time, Ramage, Bolitho, Hornblower etc and absorbed a lot. I also wondered why he was Admiral of the White as white is the flag of surrender which struck me as odd that Englands greatest Naval hero should have that colour appended to his rank. The explanation of the three squadrons sort of made sense.