black marks on teak

G

I have a number of black marks on internal teak which has previously been oiled. These seem to be getting worse. I have tried a proprietary mould & mildew remover but with no success at all. Does anyone have any idea how to remove these marks?

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Could the bacteria be in the teak oil? I know that diesel bacteria grow in the interface between any water in the diesel and the diesel. The teak may have been damp when you oiled it, is this possible.
Providing the black marks are only on the surface of the teak, have you considered lightly sanding after removal of the oil with a cloth and white spirit. Then finally reoil with fresh teak oil. I assume you are talking about teak veneer rather than solid teak which is why I advise light sanding to avoid breaking through the teak veneer. The sanded area will be lighter at first but will redarken on exposure and once the oil soaks in.
If the stain is deep into the teak then there's not much you can do as far as I know.
All the best
Trevor

G

whilst working out in Oz, their method of cleaning up solid teak was to apply chlorine on a brush to the relevant area and then wash the area off within a minute with lots of fresh water. A very brawn method, very affective, but not sure how the substance would react with varnish or oils. This method can also be used to clean up cockpit gratings etc with a stiff brush, as long as one brushes across the grain and not with it.

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Re: Chlorine gas

How do you manage to keep the gas on the brush, guess you mean Bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite). This will kill all the bugs worth a try but take care not to get it on the upholstery. Remove the oil first though, as bleach will not easily get through the oil layer.

Have a nice weekend.
Trevor