Best wood glue for repairs

Tranona

Visit site
Hi can anyone recommend a decent wood glue for repairs.

It would be helpful if you explained what you wanted to repair - the type of wood, internal or external, structural or cosmetic and the conditions you are working under. There are 4 or 5 generic types of adhesives with different characteristics that you might consider and the "best" for one job could be unsuitable for another.

VO5

Visit site
It would be helpful if you explained what you wanted to repair - the type of wood, internal or external, structural or cosmetic and the conditions you are working under. There are 4 or 5 generic types of adhesives with different characteristics that you might consider and the "best" for one job could be unsuitable for another.

Tranona, your post is very interesting.
Can you give us the benefit of your wisdom please ?
Can you outline the 4 or 5 glues you have in mind and explain the merits of each if this not too much trouble. Thanks.

Tranona

Visit site
Tranona, your post is very interesting.
Can you give us the benefit of your wisdom please ?
Can you outline the 4 or 5 glues you have in mind and explain the merits of each if this not too much trouble. Thanks.

Just Google Wood Glues and Wikepedia will do a far better job for you than I can. Plus you will get a couple of boring evenings' worth additional information from suppliers etc as a bonus.

dur

www.gaff-rig.co.uk
Hi can anyone recommend a decent wood glue for repairs.

Either epoxy, eg West, or polyurethene eg Balcotan.

Poxy is gap filling, depending on what additives you, er, add. Also strong and relatively easy to use if you do what it tells you to. But, wood must be properly dry and you need to pay attention to the temperature etc.

Polyurethene is not gap filling and must be close clamped both for a good bond and because it foams when curing and will push the joint apart. Less fussy about damp. One pot so very easy to use.

DownWest

Visit site
Epoxy also has the ability to stick to most other glues, if it is difficult to completely clean out the original joint.
If the wood is iroko or teak, one needs to be carefull about degreasing before jointing, tho I have not had any trouble. Oak, reputably, is not fond of epoxy, so resorcinol is better, but needs thin glue joints and good clamping pressures. It is temp sensitive too. No less than 10 deg C
A

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
Thanks, glad someone understood.:)
OP seems not to bothered however.
Cheers,
Chris

Yes, asked a vague question, then nothing.

I mentioned it re: resorcinol, as whereas epoxy will eventually go off, a drop in temp during the cure of resorcinol will probably result in it failing when the clamps come off.

SHUG

Visit site
Balcotan is a good general purpose marine glue but the "Rapid" version foams up a lot which is good in that it fills the spaces but bad as the stains from overspill can be difficult to remove.

ccscott49

Visit site
Thanks, glad someone understood.:)
OP seems not to bothered however.
Cheers,
Chris

Yep, asked what he thought a simple question, not realising the answer would be complicated. Somebody in the pub, had probably told him epoxy is the best thing since sliced bread!
Anyway, I have ordered about 30 litres of 120 and 30 litres of 360 from UK, 135 quid to Corfu, by mondial transport, no worries! Thanks for the advice, I agree it is excellent stuff!

xtiffer

Visit site
Anyway, I have ordered about 30 litres of 120 and 30 litres of 360 from UK, 135 quid to Corfu, by mondial transport, no worries! Thanks for the advice, I agree it is excellent stuff!

Always happy to pass on recommendations for good products.
Glad you found it suitable.
Are you spraying or brushing it?
Cheers,
Chris

ccscott49

Visit site
Always happy to pass on recommendations for good products.
Glad you found it suitable.
Are you spraying or brushing it?
Cheers,
Chris

Brushing, I have about 50 reasonable brushes, which only get used once! Do you know of any way to keep them between coats? I have very good brushes, long bristle for normal varnish. Which I treasure, plus some very good copenhagen gold round ones. But gets expensive in brushes.

dur

www.gaff-rig.co.uk
Balcotan is a good general purpose marine glue but the "Rapid" version foams up a lot which is good in that it fills the spaces but bad as the stains from overspill can be difficult to remove.

Yes but NB. that while the foam fills the spaces it is not a gap filling glue. The foam has no real strength so you need reasonable joints and close cramping for a strong joint. Then it really is quite strong.