Best tender for a 25ft boat

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
What's most important? Size when stowed, ease of inflation, stability, price, build quality? I only ask because I have no opinions on this but am interested inthe answer as I will also be needing a tender for a 27ft boat.

<font color=blue>Nick</font color=blue>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>
bluemoment.gif
</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

discovery2

Visit site
I have used an Avon Redstart on out boat for 13 years now, and apart from having a matt grey finish (as opposed to the slight sheen when new) due to prolonged exposure to the elements, it is still in good condition. It has been hung on davits all year round and has given very good service - no punctures or other problems - other than normal 'wear & tear'.

Although the price may be more than other competitors, being made of hypalon, it does not go sticky when exposed to the sun for prolonged periods.

If/when I replace it, I will almost certainly be replacing like for like!

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
I agree it is difficult to weigh up whether to spend the money but I have an old Avon and would rely upon it if I had to use it in difficult circumstances.They are incredibly well made. Why don't you try and buy a decent secondhand one?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Johnjo

Visit site
I too have a Avon, think its a Redbreast 3-4 man one, bought it several years back second hand,
gets a lot of use taking the dogs ashore several times a day,
Suffers from neglect and abuse, but it seems indestructable, no patches or repairs,

mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
An Avon Redbreast? You sure your'e not getting confused with a Reliant Robin!

Seriously tho' the choice between a Redstart and Redcrest depends on how many persons you want it to carry. Four in a Redstart going ashore in Alderney on a wild night is HAIRY! On the other hand the Redcrest needs more storage space.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
consider the tube diameter. the smaller avons have skinny tubes and mean almost certain wet bums.

floorboards are a must otherwise the water flows to where your feet (and shopping) are.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Johnjo

Visit site
Thanks Vic
you are right, its a Redcreast the badge on it disappeared a long time ago, along with
my memory,
Like someone else said, you tend to get wet feet if its blowing or raining!

mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
I was going to ask the same; our tender is an 2.4 inflatable hung on davits on a Colvic 26, and though convinient can be a pain in tight situations as it is rather longer than the stern is wide.

Cannot leave the outboard secured to it if moving in/out of a busy marina so now tend to leave it in the water when moored in a marina and on the davits when at anchor.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Newer Avon rovers have larger diameter tubes than the older ones and the "Reds"so they are dryer in a chop.

However, although there is little to criticise in the Avon range I would recommend the Plastimo dinghies. We have had one for two years now on our boat out in Greece. It has survived two years of use by charterers, being run up on beaches etc and although I was sceptical when our management company recommended it, I am now a convert. At around £350 from discount chandlers, you wont go far wrong AND it is repairable (although we havn't needed to do so yet). Only weakness is the rowlock hingepins which are plastic and break relatively easily. I got two replacements run off in stainless tube on Ithaca, fitted them in minutes and they are perfect.

In our garden shed we have a circa 1970 Hutchinson Nautisport 260 which has also lasted without too much deterioration & is now painted in RNLI livery as a miniature "D Class" and used for fund raising. it too hasn't displayed the "stickeyness" some other posters have spoken of. As I remember that was usually a feature of the old Campari which later became "Achilles" and (maybe) later "Compass" budget inflatables.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Here in Spain, our dinghy is always going sticky and we get quite fed up with it, as we don't have anywhere to store it when not in use.

Will definately consider upgrading just to do without the hassle.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Could you not get a cover made for it?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Stowage is always an issue on the smaller boat as is weight. I want good rowing kit as some of these cheaper models have quite flimsy oars and rowlock fittings. Often over looked is the bore of the valves and size and quality of the pump. A firm floor is a good thing as the flexible floors do puddle around any point loading but you can get around that..

I think I'll look out for a secondhand Avon or a boatshow bargain.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
I thought them over priced - unless you wanted to keep it for a long time.

We purchased a zodiac. It's tough, smart, holds 4 large people and a child without too much bother. Oars fix in place with wooden thwart - so easy to row. Wooden transom with metal fixing point for outboard.

Stows reasonably small.

I think I'll go and buy another one!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

charles_reed

Visit site
I had two Redstarts, (both were stolen) tough inflatables but certainly with drawbacks.

Contrary to your comment I found them the pits to row - the small tubes ensured they shipped water and you got wet. Furthermore, under power the bottom became concave, drag increased and they tried to double up.

I would definitely look at a cheaper, less long-lasting dinghy, which to be economic will probably have been made in Taiwan, Korea or Thailand.

I would strongly recommend buying one with an inflatable floor and, if you want it to row and motor fairly well, one with an inflatable keel and hard transom.

You're in what is virtually a commodity market, the money you pay is almost directly related to the life you'll get from the product.

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
I too bought a Plastimo

Well designed, reasonably good QA and a very reasonable price.

Designed for 3.5 people, it's too big for a 25' boat at 3.65m, but it has an inflatable keel and floor and cost just €842 (just under £575) and planes with one up at 11 knots on a 3.5 Tohatsu.

The 2.1m Plastimo would probably suit a small(ish) boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
Braye in a Redstart

You must have all been very slim.

You remember how the steps always used to have the cut ends of dinghy painters, where people had been delayed in the Divers and underestimated the tidal rise - did you ever have to dive for the painter end?

I was in there with 2 crew, both over 6'2" and 17 stone - I'd got the painter OK and it was LW springs, when I called out: - "One at a a time - gently.." and both jumped simultaneously from where the steps ended.

Sure enough we submerged - I lost some brand-new glasses and we had to have a drink when we'd dried out in the boat - from memory I slept the night in the cockpit.

The following morning 12hrs 20 mins later I recovered the specs, leaning over the edge of the Redstart, snorkel and mask on - apparently the sight was too much for some of the locals - they swore off alcohol (until lunchtime).

Now you'd be hard-pressed to do that in any othe dinghy, you'd not be able to get your head underwater because of the large tubes, and you'd probably not folded, gone down, and come straight up again!!

Lot to be said for the old Redstart.

<hr width=100% size=1>