Best singlehanded, bluewater sailboat (not "caravan on keels")

Homeward Bound

Visit site
Hi folks.

This is my first post but I promise have done my 'due diligence' by reading other related threads first and I am aware of the problems in asking for a "best of" anything recommendation ... but I have a specific angle I have not seen asked and I understand might be best served by links to other places as I am looking at a blind spot in my own awareness.

I am look for an economical, singlehanded, bluewater sailboat and not "caravan on keels".

I don't mean to offend anyone else's taste and requirement, and I understand there are perfectly good reasons to go for comforts, but I am exhausted by trawling through all the perfect adequate AWBs to find what I am looking for (... and I am starting to wonder if I should be look at older racing stuff of which I know nothing).

It seems the vast majority of boats are aimed at stuffing in as many people in as possible, including the wife and her kitchen sink, and that the 4 birth-er is the industry standard form. I'm not after that. I'm looking to escape her ... kind of like when a man has a mid-life crisis and buys a Harley-Davidson with a single seat to make the point clear.

I'm looking for a singlehander with good long distance bluewater capacities and am willing to accept low head heights and spartan facilities, e.g. single bunk but more storage/tank space. (However, I am headed off to warmer places and would prefer some ventilation, meaning that some of the more airless low-profile cabin designs are out). In terms of preference, I'd say; wood, steel, GRP (... or if it has to be GRP to have a lot of wood in the cabin) with an inboard engine and a proper head not a portapotty.

I'm aware of most of the obvious good choices around the 28 foot mark and, at present, Folkboat or FB derivatives seem to be the more obvious choice. There are many to choose from and many are either raw or have already been customised. I've also had a look at some of the 20 - 22 mini cruisers which are interesting, but they seem to go for really high prices considering what they are or what the money would buy elsewhere.

What I am thinking is that although this is not an obviously commercial design it must be a fairly common ideal and that, perhaps, there is something in the vintage/classic world that exists ... Or that is a stage a few people go through and once they have it out of their system, or become domesticated, move back to a more comfortable design, so there may be the odd custom designed boat coming up now and again.

Other boats which have caught my eye for other reasons are the Kingfisher 30; strong and with large fuel and water tanks, and a Van de Stadt Zeebonk; steel & built like a tank (as in Panzer tank). Where my knowledge is weak is on potentially lighter & faster stuff.

Thanks. Hope this interests others too.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Sadler 25's seem to be doing quite a few atlantic circuits these days and I know a norwegian chap who regularly does the same in a Contessa 26. If you want something a bit bigger then an old S&S 34.

Sybarite

Visit site
Here is an idea:

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/372274/

If you want a smaller boat for blue water cruising, it's nice to know your boat is unsinkable.

Put your own criteria into the search engine and, to give yourself a wider choice, don't just limit your choice to British boats.

The Etap is a particularly well made boat but you must check that water has not infiltrated between the buoyant hull skins.

Last edited:

Spuddy

Visit site
Vancouvers seem to have that sort of reputation. Your requirement for plentiful ventilation might conflict with the ocean capability.

RobF

Visit site
Vancouver 27 or 28 would be my choice. Designed for blue water sailing, well built with a long keel, will easily accept wind-vane self steering and easily enough room for one person.

Marmalade

Visit site
There's an Ohlson 38 for sale at Marconi SC (I have no connection to the seller or other interest). It's a good long distance boat for blue water - v trad styling and a good sea-keeper by all accounts. I mention it because the owner single-handed for many years.

Rossynant

Visit site
I'm looking for a singlehander with good long distance bluewater capacities and am willing to accept low head heights and spartan facilities, e.g. single bunk but more storage/tank space. (However, I am headed off to warmer places and would prefer some ventilation, meaning that some of the more airless low-profile cabin designs are out). In terms of preference, I'd say; wood, steel, GRP (... or if it has to be GRP to have a lot of wood in the cabin) with an inboard engine and a proper head not a portapotty.
Are you sure about this "first wood, second steel, GRP the last" ?
Wood and steel will get you working instead of sailing if the boat is old. As I understand contemporary caravans no appealing. Old GRP boats made before 1973 (when resin price went up 10 times) often were bullet-proof and still may be.

Folkboat and derivatives such as Contessa 26 - unless you like racing boats I would advise against. Original concept of Folboat was "Weekend Racer" :) Generally racers were not designed for "long distance bluewater" but folkboat kind can do; comfort and storage were not incorporated in the concept though. Albin Vega also cramped, but well balanced hull, going nicely. Inconvenient in marinas, prop is behind rudder. Kingfisher 30 is unballanced boat, later models were improved but no idea if this helped.

No reason to resign from reasonable comfort. Good bluewater boats cheaply available that I like is old Contest 29 longkeel (finkeel was also made, could be) or old Contest 31 (longish fin/skeg). Hi quality built, plenty of best woods inside and out. Draft moderate. Comfy and headroom over 6 feet. Not many of them but saw a few offers.

In case you could accept some comfort, headrom and decent toilet room, plus perfect ventillation and huge storage ;) my choice finally was Deep Seadog. Ketch rig and heavy, not a fast sailer. Somebody may say complicated boat with ketch rig is not for singlehander, but I'm fed up with main reefing and genoa-reducing all the time. There was one for sale, or bilgekeel version is more common but slower. Nevertheless 5 of 120 built made circumnav, at least one was solo in 40-ties.

Last edited:

RobBrown

Visit site
I would also have said Vancouver 27 or partic 28, tho latter significantly more expensive. However, I equally like the look of the Contest marque as mentioned by Rossynant and was looking at details of a 31 for sale just the other day (window shopping only!)and thought what a nice boat it looked for its age and definite blue water pretensions. Link here:

http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/boats/o89912/o89912.htm

Homeward Bound

Visit site
Thank you very, very much for these recommendations, particularly for the Jester Challenge, which I didn't know of but hits the nail on the head, and apologies if I get a bit philosophical here. Please also excuse me whilst I read up on them for a while, you've given me a lot of homework. I do not know anyone else who has the yearning for this. The Val Howells reference is what it is about, I guess, and the stuff about "those who abhor the rules, regulations and general 'nannydom' that threaten our freedoms" and "the lack of expectations on others" all resonates very well.

Think of it as a 'Punk Yachting' approach. I hope to head eastward not westward and go and pay respect to Yoh Aoki (Yoh Aoki) with whom a friend studied. If you don't know of Yoh, can I introduce you to his wonderful story ... (see link).

The Albin Vega (Albin Vega) I was not aware of and reviews very well ... with a surprising turn of speed, and the added advantage of having a built in bath if one wants! I also get the Corribee and have looked a junk sails on a couple of yachts. The Elizabethan 30 had already come on the radar, I don't want to spend a lot of money on this at all or want it to be about that.

Yes, old GRP did score more highly and I know how wrong the priority of materials is (... but then wood does have the advantage of providing for a Viking send off!). I guess if you are going to spend a long time staring at something it ought to be nice to look at, and wood is warm, but I don't see myself living with this for a long time so that does not matter. I'm looking for a one-off experience, and it's similar question to, "why ride a vintage Triumph when a modern Honda really does do every job better?". It's true but a Honda also lacks something.

Please shoot me down in I am wrong here but I'm just starting to notice how different nations/cultures craft their boats differently and am trying to think outside of my box. A lot of the 70s/80s British stuff and later which I see have gone on in a sort of Abigail Party/Austin Allegro direction (how cutting can I get!?!) and a bit pedestrian for what I am after. You know, it's all 'wife and two kids' which I have not got ... "why go touring the Highlands in a two-door open-top sports car when you can take a caravan and make tea and toast all day?". I know it is wrong to generalise but older designs seem to tend to be narrower. Are broader beams a compromise to fit more space in? I'm not looking for space.

I do get something like a Falmouth Cutter (Falmouth Cutter, they are expensive enough and old Bristols way beyond my budget). I kind of see them as a kind of (v. competent) Morris Oxfords of the waves and old fashioned British. I guess I like the Folkboats just for their more stripped back and slightly racier nature and one of the most appealing so far I looked at was an open interior FB with a wood burner in it. It had a feel of a real ship. I'm start to wonder what more trad. Baltic or Asian sailboat would be like.

Someone else wrote here, there don't seem to be many boats made with singlehanding in mind. I guess a few of you are going to think I am nuts but I'll refer back to the Jester guys and Aoki. It's not just about getting there, it's about having a particular sort of experience that is getting rarer and rarer in this world.

Perhaps I need to find one of these good boats that has had already 'the caravan' ripped out of it. If I see one more boat that 'the wife' made matching cushions and curtains for ... and I am afraid secretly yearned for net ones too ... I'll scream and set fire to it.

Last edited:

Homeward Bound

Visit site
Deep Seadog ...
I like how, by design, they didn't waste the fo'csle on berths in the Deep Seadog but a 'Volkswagen Type 2 van' is about as far as I would want to go towards caravanette. The Seadog has a great 'shag pad' in the rear. Not what I was looking for ... and I am probably getting a bit old to get any such offers ... but attractive all the same. Isn't it a shame that for most of us we only earn enough money to live out our dreams when it is too late to really live them out? It's not just that "youth is wasted on the young", some yachts are just wasted on the old!

Ohlson 38 is just a too big and expensive for me. I can understand how it would be a pleasure but I am thinking that the whole deal is that one really should have to spend that amount of money to go sail the world, even if it means have to hug coasts a little more.

Quite few older and rarer vessels (rare not as expensive but as in unusual/unfashionable) seem to come up on Ebay fairly regularly and not get good prices or aren't sold at all, e.g. http://bit.ly/YHpLkW (not what I am exactly offer, and a little big, but a lovely piece of wood). There was a thread about one just recently.

Think of those guys who buy the right old car and drive it all the way to Vladivostok without problems and are able to leave it there at the end because it did not cost anything.

Last edited:

Rossynant

Visit site
Classic wooden Folkboats and similar boats can be found on Baltic, best place to look is Germany - they always had money to upkeep them. Also Sweden. In here boats go to sheds for winter, season is short - so many are well preserved. Start looking on ebay.de :)

Another directon then - Halcyon should suit, Hurley 27, Invicta, there was Falmouth 25, for more spartan but still seaworthy - Itchen Ferry 22. Sometime they come up for really cheap and they are rugged.

BTW had an UAZ 452 for years, useful for field work (military version, got really cheap), would go to Vladivostok anytime...

From Baltic, besides Vega: Marieholm ("international folkboat" and other); Kings Cruiser 28, 29; Bandholm 26; etc. Some very nice boats were made hereabout, like old Bianka 27, well liked classics but tend to be pricey and hard to find.

As for eastward bound in spartan way - "Mohican" seadog, prepared for going the hard way was for sale a year ago or so, who knows? ;)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pBDqSdUgb88UX9w3NCV0BdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Last edited: