Best re-engine choice for Sadler 32

eddystone

Visit site
An oversized engine can be useful if you want to power a second alternator but otherwise will be underworked most of the time. You could take up watersking though.

On choice of engine, pay attention to what others are fitting and the relative market attraction of each brand. For example if you think a Volvo engine is a great selling point then favour that as a starting position.
Beta do some guidelines for engine size based on LWL:

http://betamarine.co.uk/engine-selection-for-yachts/

According to their guidelines, Beta 20 is correct size! Maybe 25 for a bit in hand. Is the Beta still a "rattling noisy beast" - I thought that was the definition of a Volvo 2002, designed to encourage one to turn the engine off and sail as soon as possible!

Do they really give better deals at SIBS? I can certainly wait that long provided my head gasket does.

doug748

Visit site
According to their guidelines, Beta 20 is correct size! Maybe 25 for a bit in hand. Is the Beta still a "rattling noisy beast" - I thought that was the definition of a Volvo 2002, designed to encourage one to turn the engine off and sail as soon as possible!

Do they really give better deals at SIBS? I can certainly wait that long provided my head gasket does.

No, I don't think these small engines are noisy. This is a fairly accurate representation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGGNgF0niMo

They sit like that as well, rock solid on the mounts.

As for negotiation, talk to them in late Spring for flexible delivery. Tell then you would be most displeased to find someone had got a better deal at a show. Haggle for extras. Your final gambit is: I am thinking about putting a cheque for £2000 in the post tonight - what can we do?
I found Beta good people to deal with - of course the others might be fine as well.

eddystone

Visit site
If you currently have A Bukh you could consider an ex-ships lifeboat Bukh 24 from Marine Enterprises:
http://marineenterprises.apolloduck.net/detail.phtml?id=344336

A lot cheaper and you could reuse the existing ancillaries, just a new prop required. This is my plan for when I replace the Bukh 20 in my 1982 Sadler 32.

No mine is a Volvo Penta 2002 but the price got my attention; I presume the output is 24 although advert says its current version of Bukh 20?

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
No mine is a Volvo Penta 2002 but the price got my attention; I presume the output is 24 although advert says its current version of Bukh 20?

Correct. Four years ago (in a DV20) I put new cylinder liners, valves, had the pump and injectors serviced; like a new engine despite being thirty years old. A redoubtable engine

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I went for a Beta 25hp when I re-engined from a BMC 1.5. Calculations indicated 20hp was sufficient as I can only swing a 13" prop, but after going to SIBS and inspecting all available engines decided the Beta was best value, and would make different feet for my installation for a little bit more. Finalised at LBS when the 25hp was introduced and only a few £'s more. Negotiated a good deal and delivered a month later. Had to have a new prop(different rotation) and shaft, new exhaust system complete, also fitted new sound insulation & drip free shaft seal. On a Moody 33.

theoptimist

Visit site
May well be easier to go for the TMC60 gearbox as it's available as the TMC60A which has the downward angle to match the old MS2 7 degree down angle.
I replaced my VP2002 with a Beta 25 /TMC60A, and also specified the feet to match the Volvo spacing and the high rise, crossover exhaust elbow. It all fitted pretty well in my First 305, but I have had to put a bulge in the rear engine cover to accomodate the high rise elbow, I'm not sure that the old Volvo one was as high above the waterlock as it should have been.
Hi, do you still own the Sadler, I would interested to how you installed the engine owing to its narrower footprint than the Volvo. We currently have the same engine and gearbox installed, however poor installation. Do you have any photos please.

Slowboat35

Visit site
I replaced a 3GM with a 3YM in my Sadler 32 and found that whiile the very tired GM had sufficient power the YM was quite excessive. In retrospect I'd have done much better to have fitted sonething smaller.

Refueler

Visit site
Old thread but here goes....

OK as one who DID re-engine .... the major consideration was whether replacement engine would go on existing mounts. That in itself saves a huge amount of costs ... in some cases - changing mount setup can be near cost of the engine again ....

I chose the later version of my engine - OK - my deal was second hand ... but many years later - its still providing excellent duty. It was a drop in job .... and I gained another 4hp on top ... previous was 39, now I have 43hp.

It does not matter what brand - my point is to reduce the amount of work to replace.

OK - a comment .... the engine I now have was taken out of a Rustler 32 a number of years before I got hold of it. It had stood at back of the marina shed ... when my engine seized ... I was offered sight as seen + marina guy to have job of fitting it.
He brushed it off ... fed it some fuel and it started literally straight away.
I was told it had been replaced because it smoked a bit ....
Yes it did. Once installed .... (fitter offered to tart it up ... strip / recon etc. - I declined based on it had started so easily) .... I took boat out into the harbour and gave it a good hard thrashing ..... the smoked soon cleared and she ran like a sewing machine.
Near 20yrs later ... it still smokes a bit on start up ... but few minutes later she's clear and purring like a kitten.

How much did I pay for it ? 250 quid. Perkins 4-107.

Tranona

Visit site
Hi, do you still own the Sadler, I would interested to how you installed the engine owing to its narrower footprint than the Volvo. We currently have the same engine and gearbox installed, however poor installation. Do you have any photos please.
Beta offer brackets to mate the 25 to the original Volvo mounts. Not the only way of doing it but probably the simplest. Poor installations of replacement engines are common because some people try to do it on the cheap or maybe have little understanding of what is involved.

theoptimist

Visit site
Beta offer brackets to mate the 25 to the original Volvo mounts. Not the only way of doing it but probably the simplest. Poor installations of replacement engines are common because some people try to do it on the cheap or maybe have little understanding of what is involved.
Yes exactly, this is why I was looking for a reply from BillCole, and possibly some photos. The installer on our boat (prior to us buying it) got into a pickle by manipulating the original Beta engine brackets/feet. This then left the engine mounts far from upright which then leads to the holes being drilled in the bearers in the wrong place. Thanks for your reply.

billcole

Visit site
Hi there
Sorry no, my boat is a First 305, not a Sadler. I did get Beta's optional Volvo matching feet, and also used a Vetus Bullflex which accomodates a small amount of misalignment, mainly because my boat is stored ashore in Greece most of the time, so probably changes shape a little on launching