Best Radar Mounting Solution

earlybird

Visit site
I went for a pole at the stern:-
i) Easier to fit myself; ii) no need to cut the cable for mast unstepping; iii) easier access if radome needed attention, (which, in my case, it did).
Theoretically reduced range isn't an issue, but I admit that on the mast looks neater on a smallish sailboat

pvb

Visit site
Fitting the scanner on a pole at the stern is more expensive than a mast mount, but the scanner is more accessible if need be, and the pole can also be used to mount antennae, lights, etc. An added advantage is that the scanner's lower position reduces sea clutter on the radar image.

Jurgen

Visit site
Fitting the scanner on a pole at the stern is more expensive than a mast mount, but the scanner is more accessible if need be, and the pole can also be used to mount antennae, lights, etc. An added advantage is that the scanner's lower position reduces sea clutter on the radar image.
That's what I was thinking, the dome is a little lower but it's easier to fit and maintain, just need to find a reasonably priced fabricator in the Southampton/Portsmouth/Chichester area ?

ithet

Visit site
That's what I was thinking, the dome is a little lower but it's easier to fit and maintain, just need to find a reasonably priced fabricator in the Southampton/Portsmouth/Chichester area ?

Agree with previous two posts. My scanner is mast mounted with one of the commonly used Scanstrut mounts (approx £300). The old analogue scanner cable has a join under the mast (inside at the cabin top) so maintenance would not be an issue. I am actually replacing the current scanner with a Quantum which will only need power as data will be WiFi. But I am sure modern digital scanner data cables can also be joined. I have been quoted about £90ph for mast work, similar figure from three companies all quote for two men due to safety.

pvb

Visit site

If I may make a suggestion, consider having a bigger-diameter pole than is strictly necessary. I think a lot of custom stainless poles look too skinny. I used a Scanstrut pole, which is 75mm diameter, on my last boat and it looks "right".

peter gibbs

Visit site
Hi all,
Planning on fitting radar on my Hanse 311, can't decide whether to fit on the mast or a post on the stern?.
The arguments levelled at not locating 4-6 m above deck on the mast are the stuff of marine legend and most unhelpful. Whereas a pole gets in theway of everything and is exposed to passing marina traffic, besides giving you less than optimal horizon access.

PWG

skipmac

Winter in Florida, Summer Martha's Vineyard
Visit site

My experience, easier to fit on a pole only if the pole is already installed. Otherwise the pole done properly with bracing to support the radar in rough seas is a good bit of work, requiring drilling the decks, proper backing plates, plus bracing, etc is a lot more work than screwing a bracket to the mast.

As far as maintenance, never had to open a radar dome and do any maintenance so that point seems moot.

Another option, there are mounts sold to install the dome on the backstay. Haven't used one but have read some good reports about them.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The arguments levelled at not locating 4-6 m above deck on the mast are the stuff of marine legend and most unhelpful. Whereas a pole gets in theway of everything and is exposed to passing marina traffic, besides giving you less than optimal horizon access.
PWG

Ours is also mast mounted, just above the lower spreaders, Scanstrut bracket easy enough to fit and multicore cable joined below deck so easy enough to disconnect if ever we want to drop the mast. Wouldn't want a pole mount due to shading solar on gantry.

pvb

Visit site
Whereas a pole gets in theway of everything and is exposed to passing marina traffic, besides giving you less than optimal horizon access.

Not necessarily exposed to marina traffic, as my photo shows. And a pole-mounted radome still gives you more than sufficient radar range.

pole.jpg