Best place to have mast removed.

chris505

Visit site
Has anyone had their mast taken down in Dunkerque? Were there any problems or would Calis be more user friendly?
We are thinking around April 09. We also will want it transported. Thanks

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
De-masting, etc.

I guess Calais/Dunkerke is in your 'corner' but FWIW if you were thinking about entering the Seine, Honfleur has a good rep (small, informal, do loads of boats), Le Havre has a bad rep (**but see below) and Rouen a really bad rep.

Currently at La Ferte, just east of Paris, heading west, I'm going to check out the new Rouen marina in a week or so and will report. On the phone the capitain recommended Honfleur for re-masting!

**This guy operating from Le Havre (but not the 'normal' Le Havre crane), was highly recommended for de/re masting a few months ago -
Stephan Reiset - http://www.cnhm.fr/ - can be contacted by mobile on 0033 619 464623. I'm thinking of contacting him myself, even though I had no complaints using Honfleur.

For mast transporting, the ditto. recommended carrier is
Yacht Graf - www.masttransporte.de, Telephone 0049 15773491227. Speak to Wolfgang. They are efficient and reasonably priced.

Where are you thinking of re-masting (presumably entering the Med?) at the other end?
Again, FWIW, the two leading contenders are Naval Service - Port St Louis (if heading east) and Chantier Allemand - Grau d'Agde (if heading west/south).

somerset

Visit site
Re: De-masting, etc.

Things may have changed but when I arrived in Honfleur in '04 we were met by rep from Circle Nautique de Honfleur who sorted out lifting bridge opening times and arrangements for berth and demast.The guy at Honfleur is/was Monsieur Chal (hope spelling is correct) & does/did a good job.

dockmaster

Visit site
Re: Grehan

I can recomend stephan at Le Havre but make sure you hagle about the price - he can also organise for your mast to be taken by road to port st louis - I did and although a bit pricey it made the trip through the canals that bit easier. Good luck and enjoy! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
ooo err misssuss

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chris505

Visit site
Re: Mast removal

Thank you every one for comments, we are still at the planning stage but hope to join canal system in April 09. Grehan, your site is really helpfull, we also enjoy walking!