Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
To the tune of "MacNamara's Band:

1. Oh my name is William Doxford and I come from Sunder-land
They say my diesel engine is the finest in the land
The pistons bang, the cranks go clang and the camshaft grinds away
And it's the bestest engine you could hear about today

Chorus
Dah dah dah dah Chuff! Chuff! Dah dah dah dah Chuff! Chuff!
Dah dah dah dah Chuff! Chuff! Dah dah dah dah.
Dah dah dah dah Chuff! Chuff! Dah Dah Dah - Dah
With action and reaction we'll go sailing on our way.

2. To see our engines functionals we open up a door
We find more cranks and crossheads than we've ever seen before
And then we pull the pistons out to calibrate the bore
And here for us to work on there are piston rings galore

Chorus

3. We calculate the horsepower by scientific means
With bits of string and paper wound on little round machines
We measure round the diagrams the power it should tell
The outcome's automatic but the engine's aw' ta hell
Chorus

etc.
I spent many an hour cleaning out the ******* scavenge boxes after a fire......BP Bird class......

B27

Visit site
I'm no chemist, but I believe that some oils have a kind of 'affinity' for metals and will tend to stick to the surface.
Such claims are made about the expensive synth oils,
FWIW, I used a Motul ester-enhanced oil.

Heat gives low viscosity, I guess one could go too far and turn the oil to a solid crust or something, but in the crevices of the seized thread, there is little air.

With some 'steel in ali' problems, AIUI, there is so much strength in the corrosion products, which are also exerting pressure, that lubrication is just not the answer.
You either need enough heat that the ali expands and it all comes loose, or you need 'proper chemistry' to dissolve the corrosion products, or even dissolve the steel bolt e.g. 'Alum'. Probably not using the exact terms a proper chemist would use.

Refueler

Visit site
I sailed on ships with Doxford engines fitted with big common rail fuel pumps below which was a drip tray to collect the leakage fuel. It was surprising how quickly seized items placed in the tray freed up when running on diesel.

Doxford !!

C/E I sailed with reckoned he'd die happy if he could watch a Doxford destroy itself !!

MM5AHO

Visit site
WD40 is a water displacement material, not much of a lubricant and not a penetrating oil. (The WD stands for Water Displacement). But now they also well under then brand WD40 a variety of other materials such as PTFE spray, that's also labelled WD40.
I use ordinary diesel for penetrating oil.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Doxford !!

C/E I sailed with reckoned he'd die happy if he could watch a Doxford destroy itself !!
Yes from the 3 cylinder economy version circa 1944 with engine driven pumps and Riley boiler supplying the steering gear and Scotch boiler for steam winches and windlass. 4 cylinder LB 1960. 4 cylinder P type turbo' Never had a scavenge fire ;)

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
Yes from the 3 cylinder economy version circa 1944 with engine driven pumps and Riley boiler supplying the steering gear and Scotch boiler for steam winches and windlass. 4 cylinder LB 1960. 4 cylinder P type turbo' Never had a scavenge fire ;)
Ah, but what about cleaning out the centrifugal seperators ,fun, fun, fun....

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
Quiet ... smooth as silk Steam Ships ..... then doomed to sail on Motor Ships with beer glass vibrating off the bar ... noise and shi** everywhere !!
Last ship was the British Navigator, now that was nice, air conditioned control room which had an early form of data logging so you could do the logs from there, nice turbines.......and a lift....🙃

Alas, after it was sold by BP it was hit by an Exocet and then scrapped

Refueler

Visit site
Last ship was the British Navigator, now that was nice, air conditioned control room which had an early form of data logging so you could do the logs from there, nice turbines.......and a lift....🙃

Alas, after it was sold by BP it was hit by an Exocet and then scrapped

Pity about the fuel consumption on the steamers !!

Some I was on burned over 370 tons a day ......

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I agree that diesel works well. I remember a test many years ago and it came 2nd but 1st place product was expensive. WD40 isn't all that great but good at displacing moisture. I tend to use diesel on my boat as there's always a container nearby.
I had stuck aluminum spreaders. A local rigger suggested immersing them in diesel for a week.
Worked a treat.

14K478

Visit site
370 t/day; must have been a big one

227,000dwt, Foster Wheeler SD3, Stal-Laval 31,000 shp, 16.5 knots, 166 t/day.

Lovely little slip of a VLCC; five years on charter to Caltex.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
WD40 is a water displacement material, not much of a lubricant and not a penetrating oil. (The WD stands for Water Displacement). But now they also well under then brand WD40 a variety of other materials such as PTFE spray, that's also labelled WD40.
I use ordinary diesel for penetrating oil.
WD40 market a huge range of products including a penetrating fluid. I have no idea if it is the best but it seems to work as well as any other.Screenshot_20231130_194943.jpg

chris-s

Visit site
Son bought us back some ‘aerokroil’ he had picked up somewhere which they use onboard in his job as a marine engineer. Seems very similar to the acf stuff and works very well on things I have tried it with.

Aquaboy

Visit site
GT 85. works for me, seems thinner than WD 40 so penetrates well. Asda sell it
GT-85 Spray

On the subject of ships engines I'm sitting not 8ft above a 3 cyl. Crossley at the moment.....Its only a baby but it would
scare the average yachtie......

B27

Visit site
GT 85. works for me, seems thinner than WD 40 so penetrates well. Asda sell it
GT-85 Spray

On the subject of ships engines I'm sitting not 8ft above a 3 cyl. Crossley at the moment.....Its only a baby but it would
scare the average yachtie......
GT85 is good stuff, it leaves a lighter residue than most others and IMHO smells less offensive.

All these 'aerosols' are a blend of oil, solvent and propellant, maybe with some additives like PTFE dust.

The classic WD40 leaves behind a light oil when the solvent evaporates. It's not the best lubricant in the world but it is a lubricant among other things.

If you just want to disperse water, then an airline with a blow gun takes some beating.
Or a spray can of pure solvent.

There are loads of products in spray cans, all have their uses, strengths and weaknesses.
GT85 is towards the light end of spray-lube, bikers' chain wax towards the heavy end.
All can be useful, horses for courses, but in the limit, anything is better than nothing!

Another useful one is cheap furniture polish!
I use it on wood saws and other tools, it takes off sticky crud and leaves a slippery coating which fends off rust to some extent.

Bouba

Visit site
For that hard to shift bolt...I use one of these till it’s glowing red (takes a very few seconds)....followed by a showering of WD40 (because of its cheapness and easy availability)