Best GPS

Petercatterall

Visit site
Reading some interesting stuff about chart plotters but I'm not tempted yet.
I have been relying on my old hand held Garmin but want to upgrade mainly to get a bigger screen and external aerial.
I usually have loads of useful way points plotted and in the GPS. I find that I can quickly locate my position with reference to the waypoints (by eyeball when not critical!)
My new GPS must be able to link to my computor (at home) so that I can download batches of my (personal) way points as required.
It will also have to interface with the new digital radio when I can afford one.
I plan to keep the garmin as back up.
Any recomendations/prices guys??

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
I think a visit to the Garmin stand at the SBS would be the best option, not long now and you can see the whole range, plus there will be other GPS vendors there to explain what does what. perhaps you should decide on your budget and work from that, but sometimes a little more money, may give you an awfull lot more from the more expensive unit. Bear in mind that on some the cost of any additional memory chips and the software e.g Atlantic Blue Chart if you go to a plotter could add a very considerable amount to the basic price. For example an Atlantic Blue chart for the South coast on a chip costs around £186, you can also buy the charts on a CD and put it them on your own chip but that can cost more. There is too much to explain in a post really, if you can't get to the SBS get some catalogues sent and read up on them, and decide what suits you.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

kazbaz2

Visit site
earlier in the year i fitted a simrad to our sealine, very nice large screen etc priced 1200 today i fitted a navman 5500i bought from e bay new at a fraction of the cost £400 good screen though only 5" fast moving menue very impressive

<hr width=100% size=1>