Best free anchor alarm

Halo

Visit site
I know this has been discussed before but what are the latest views on this - simple to use on iPad being a key aspect?

RupertW

Visit site
I’ve used two or 3 but Anchor is the one I have come to use all the time. It just does the job.BE0FE1DB-A888-4604-97D7-9DDCA353D9A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: GHA

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I use this one: Anchor Watch / Alarm - Apps on Google Play

It's blimmin' basic - no map - but also easy to use. You can set the anchor here, at a specified number of meters in a specified direction, or by lat-long. It is plenty loud if it does go off.

I often leave the chartplotter running at night, so my track makes a scribble and I can see at a glance of it if my current position is outside of the night's range.

Mark-1

Visit site
I use this:

Anchor Watch Pro / Alarm - Apps on Google Play

Before that I used the free version for years, then I paid for it out of sheer gratitude. (I never usually pay for apps.)

Anchor alarms are all about trust IME. I know the alarm is loud enough to wake me from a deep sleep. I know it goes off when I drag in the real world. (It truly is 'alarming'. ??)

(Looks like KK linked to the free version above, strongly recommend it.)

Last edited:

ithet

Visit site
I use this one: Anchor Watch / Alarm - Apps on Google Play

It's blimmin' basic - no map - but also easy to use. You can set the anchor here, at a specified number of meters in a specified direction, or by lat-long. It is plenty loud if it does go off.

I often leave the chartplotter running at night, so my track makes a scribble and I can see at a glance of it if my current position is outside of the night's range.

+1
I find the free android version adequate. It will use the compass sensor in your device to show the grid real relative to your position so you can mark the anchor as KK describes. You can mark wider sectors in certain directions of wanted.

Adios

Visit site
I emailed a feature request to Standard Horizon to add anchor watch to their handheld VHFs. They have the GPS and a speaker already so its just a software add on. And having that next to my head in the forward cabin is a lot more likely to wake me than a faint beep from a plotter.

Sybarite

Visit site
Use a saucepan. Hang a weight over the side of the boat below the level of the keel and attach to a saucepan handle in the hatchway. The tension holds the pot in place. With the falling tide as soon as the pot touches the bottom the weight is off the pan and it falls waking you up.

Plum

Visit site
I use this:

Anchor Watch Pro / Alarm - Apps on Google Play

Before that I used the free version for years, then I paid for it out of sheer gratitude. (I never usually pay for apps.)

Anchor alarms are all about trust IME. I know the alarm is loud enough to wake me from a deep sleep. I know it goes off when I drag in the real world. (It truly is 'alarming'. ??)

(Looks like KK linked to the free version above, strongly recommend it.)
+1 have been using Anchor Watch and then upgraded to pro version Anchor Watch / Alarm - Apps on Google Play Been using for at least 4 years. Don't know if there is an ipad version as I only use Android.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Fascadale

Visit site
Does “Anchor! drag alarm” have a late set function like “Anchor Alarm with Late Set”?

It seems quite a useful function: my hands are always too full with dropping the anchor to remember to set the alarm above where the anchor actually is.

( How do you set a link to something listed in the App Store?)

FirstAway

Visit site
Does “Anchor! drag alarm” have a late set function like “Anchor Alarm with Late Set”?

It seems quite a useful function: my hands are always too full with dropping the anchor to remember to set the alarm above where the anchor actually is.

Yes, once you have “dropped anchor” you can drag and drop the location either by scope and bearing or just by moving it back along your track.

RupertW

Visit site
I emailed a feature request to Standard Horizon to add anchor watch to their handheld VHFs. They have the GPS and a speaker already so its just a software add on. And having that next to my head in the forward cabin is a lot more likely to wake me than a faint beep from a plotter.
That’s why I like the iPhone app - it lives on the bunk shelf at night and even if I happen to wake up I can look at the track against the map without getting up.

( How do you set a link to something listed in the App Store?)
You can move the anchor drop point on the map. I only ever set the alarm after I’ve had the boat in full reverse, snorkelled over the anchor, put on the snubber snd had a beer. Then I see which way the bow is pointing, approximate the distance from the bow based on depth, length of chain snd whether its blowing hard and move it accordingly. I never worry about being too exact within 10 meters as I just want to know if the boat has moved further than the chain length stretched out.

Adios

Visit site
That’s why I like the iPhone app - it lives on the bunk shelf at night and even if I happen to wake up I can look at the track against the map without getting up.
I resent my current massive reliance on my iphone. I'm a bit depressed if its the best thing for something else.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Use a saucepan. Hang a weight over the side of the boat below the level of the keel and attach to a saucepan handle in the hatchway. The tension holds the pot in place. With the falling tide as soon as the pot touches the bottom the weight is off the pan and it falls waking you up.
Or you end up on the beach in America ??

Last edited: