Best boat to cross the Atlantic on

MisterBaxter

Visit site
I once had a day sail in a Wharram catamaran the the motion off the wind was delightful compared to any monohull I've ever been aboard - on a broad reach with a big, uneven swell and the high end of a force six, she was relaxed, stable and easy to steer with one hand on the tiller. The experience made me think that if I ever found myself in a position to do a trade wind passage, the right cat might be the way to go - a Woods, maybe.

GHA

Visit site
"Best boat to cross the Atlantic on" - does it really matter in the slightest as long as it's fun?

Such a rare opportunity to run away for a few weeks from western "mine's better, must go faster, need more toys.." points scoring constant competition culture & live in the present moment in the natural world for a little while.

Who cares what the boat is or how long it takes if it feels right. 😎

edit> Just about to up anchor & head out solo again for another weekish 😎😎😎🌬🌊⛵

Last edited:

Concerto

Visit site
Only crossed the Atlantic once each way. Have to admit the old QEII was a fine ship. Not sure if I would like to it in anything smaller as several force 9 gales meant the bow went under regularly. Very few passengers left their cabins, let alone eat, the dance show got cancelled as the grand piano started sliding across the ship. Hate to be on anything smaller in those conditions. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Only crossed the Atlantic once each way. Have to admit the old QEII was a fine ship. Not sure if I would like to it in anything smaller as several force 9 gales meant the bow went under regularly. Very few passengers left their cabins, let alone eat, the dance show got cancelled as the grand piano started sliding across the ship. Hate to be on anything smaller in those conditions. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
We’re doing it on Queen Victoria in January🤣

capnsensible

Visit site
Most luxury.....this one.

Got fed up with watching films, showering twice a day and ice creams. :)

I enjoyed the 4 times with Mrs S on our Moody 33 more though.

Fastest.. couple of times on a Jenneau 45.

Bumpiest Lavezzi catamaran interesting in 60 knots of wind.

Most things that broke trip....twice on a Voyager 40.

Surprisingly comfortable, Bavaria 44 with two aft cabins. Keel stayed on.

Nothing goes to windward like an Airbus though.

Wansworth

Visit site
I once had a day sail in a Wharram catamaran the the motion off the wind was delightful compared to any monohull I've ever been aboard - on a broad reach with a big, uneven swell and the high end of a force six, she was relaxed, stable and easy to steer with one hand on the tiller. The experience made me think that if I ever found myself in a position to do a trade wind passage, the right cat might be the way to go - a Woods, maybe.
Offwind on a Small Wharram cat off the Portugese coast …..sleeping in a spacious bed was like being in the Hilton😂

GHA

Visit site
Just now gently gliding out of the lee of Madeira, Funchal getting smaller astern, thinking what to put in the pressure cooker ready for later before getting back into the atlantic wind & swell proper out of the lee of the island. A few miles down, 500 to go, lots fruit, veg, podcasts & kindle onboard. Interested in what the immediate future will bring, this never ever ever ever gets old!!

THIS is the best boat to go out into the ocean in 😎😎😎

Love the one yourè with 😁

noelex

Visit site
It is not a difficult voyage, so most cruising boats can complete the passage safely and comfortably. Larger yachts will have quicker passage, but too large starts to require crew which is rarely ideal.

For a couple a strong monohull around 45-55 feet is perhaps the ideal weapon of choice.

Daydream believer

Visit site