Berthing under sail.

Krusty

Visit site
Skimming through old log-books, as old sailors do from time to time, I wondered how many present-day sailors of boats of 30ft or more berth under sail?
Or have never berthed under sail?

If the topic has been discussed in recent times, I would be grateful for a pointer.

sailorman

Visit site
Skimming through old log-books, as old sailors do from time to time, I wondered how many present-day sailors of boats of 30ft or more berth under sail?

If the topic has been discussed in recent times, I would be grateful for a pointer.
are you talking marina or a swinger

halyardmonkey.

Visit site
Only two year ago, on our way to RTI,we decided that after anchoring for 6 hours off dungeness with worsening conditions we would turn back to Ramsgate. Its was already very dark and we had all lights and equipment blazing. We heard a buzzer that none of us recognised. We were somewhat relieved when that same buzzer decided all by itself to stop buzzing.... What ever it was had mysteriously cured itself. Alas, no such luck, when we arrived at Ramsgate we thought we might pop the motor on as you do, only to find that was the alarm to tell us that the batteries were dead. This quickened the pulse a little. Ramsgate port control informed to us the RNLI was the only assistance available. So we sailed the 35ft race boat in coming alongside the pontoon in perfect synchronisation- Lines went straight on sails dropped and no damage done.... Beer open followed by very long sleep..... We do it now all the time just for fun and keeping our skills up.

Last edited:

Krusty

Visit site
Marina, mooring and harbour (that old-fashioned stone-built thing with a hole on the seaward side).

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
I don't think I've ever arrived alongside under sail in anything bigger than a Wayfarer. I used to sail Kindred Spirit right up the river to within a biscuit toss of her berth, but the tight turn between the pontoons was a step too far and I used to start the engine for about a minute while I got the mainsail down and manoeuvred in. If I'd needed to, I probably could have berthed her ok on the outside of the pontoons - although the one time I tried it I got an unlucky fluke of wind at the last second and decided to hit the starter and bail out rather than risk hitting a moored boat behind me.

I'm definitely not going to try any such stunts in Ariam until I'm a lot more experienced and comfortable with her.

Picking up moorings or anchoring under sail is more routine - again I need to get more used to the new boat first, but in Kindred Spirit I usually sailed onto moorings unless the space was very tight, and anchored under sail regularly in places I knew (if I didn't know the place I preferred to chug around under power doing a mini survey of depths first - felt like a labrador turning round and round before lying down :) ).

Pete

oldbilbo

Visit site
I've had more 'engine off arrivals' in a friend's Rival 34 than ever I had with dinghys....

Taking it to Oban from Cardiff, the Vetus bottle burned through 10 minutes past Lavernock Spit. That meant sailing onto anchor outside Watchet and off Caldey Island, and a 'traditional' approach up the river and onto the Royal Cork's pontoon. That problem was fixed, and lasted until Donegal, when the gearbox hydraulics broke, so there was a 'flying moor' at Port Ellen in a rising gale and again at Crinan, then sail onto a mooring off Oban's sailing club. That arm-thick mooring warp fell apart in a gale next morning, so we sailed onto another. On later ventures, the same old girl needed sailing into Newlyn Harbour, onto a ferry mooring off Ferry Steps at Herm ( fuel pipe ) and into the Marina du Chateau at Brest.

I've got the T-shirt.... :rolleyes:

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I have done it a couple of times in marinas and also alongside in a port. 67ft with the bowsprit.

Because of having set fire to the engine starter motor - twice.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I've done it a few times on pontoons, in docks & on swinging moorings. Sometimes because of engine failures, sometimes just because the conditions are favourable & it is very satisfying.

Boat is 32' Westerly Pentland Ketch - a rig that is superb for speed control, dropping the main kills much of the power & progressively reducing (or increasing) the R/R genny on approach for fine speed control. We also sail in a stong tide area which helps when picking up swinging moorings.

maxi77

Visit site
When I was at BRNC it was a standard part of the boat-work exam for each boat to bring it alongside whether it was a power boat or sailing boat so I had to demonstrate this ability with the RNSA 14, montagu whaler, 3 in 1 whaler and the 32 ft cutter. I still have the book with the record of me having passed them all.

[3889]

Visit site
Nearly always leave and pick up my mooring under sail. Sailed onto a berth in Troon marina singlehanded in a 32' awb after fracturing my P bracket on a pot marker .

Cloona

Visit site
when the wind is right and suitably it is great fun - and a lot easier than messing around with an engine

I did come out of a marina once by backing the head sail ,,, a shame it was early and no-one was watching

when the wind is heavy or wrong direction its just horrible and better with an engine that works

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
I have done it a three times as a consequence of engine failure but selected the easier to access visitor or courtesy berths which are more easily accessed.

I have noticed that those that have learned to sail in engineless dinghies are less perturbed at the thought than those that have learned to sail on a boat with an engine.

Just as a bit of light relief here is a video of someone ....lets say at the beginning of their sailing experience coming in to anchor under sail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAyDS1NuK_A

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Maybe I don't qualify as boat is only 27 feet! Frequently sail on to and off moorings and had to sail into Burnham Yacht Harbour due to lack of engine one year - just stuck her on the nearest hammerhead!

Long pontoons are OK as I sail single handed - don't think I would try a finger pontoon.

Used to do it in an engineless Solent in a sonata in early 80's (RYA Young Skippers Scheme)

Visit site

I did it for my YM ticket, both to a mooring buoy and to a pontoon including between two boats on a pontoon. But I never do it unless forced - not having a reverse under sail clearly increases the risk of a crunch so why take the extra risk when you dont have to do?

Incidentally in the YM prep course at Fowey, we picked up mooring buoys in the middle of the visitors area time after time. You should have seen the heads pop out of companionways and the number of boats that cleared off! :D

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I've sailed onto moorings and to anchor many times and will often do so from choice as it saves starting the donk and its very satisfying. I will admit to sailing onto and off pontoons a few times as well, but it goes with the territory/job so I don't claim any special virtue. When the wind is right it's a doddle. When the wind is wrong think of going somewhere else or anchoring (or using the anchor to aid your move!)

onesea

Visit site
I did it for my YM ticket, both to a mooring buoy and to a pontoon including between two boats on a pontoon. But I never do it unless forced - not having a reverse under sail clearly increases the risk of a crunch so why take the extra risk when you dont have to do?

Incidentally in the YM prep course at Fowey, we picked up mooring buoys in the middle of the visitors area time after time. You should have seen the heads pop out of companionways and the number of boats that cleared off! :D

Last boat at 24' regularly, it was easier than starting the engine. Present boat 30m2 main running backstays no, have not even sailed up the river yet...

Still getting up to speed with stowing the main (no stack pack just manual stowing) and headsail (tough luff, no roller reefing) in short order (normally only 2 up)...

Given time I am sure one will follow the other, although our home berth is fenders out both sides (to open gaps if required) and 2-5 point turn under engine to get into open waters so just not possible under sail...

lustyd

Visit site
I've done moorings and pontoons under sail, both when the engine was dead and all times the manoevre went perfectly. I would never sail into a modern marina unless the wind was perfect, and if I ever see anyone trying near my boat I'll likely report them and have some words. Modern marinas all have working boats to help you and insufficient space to be certain you won't hit anything. As others have said if you have an option then it's not worth the risk, and even in an emergency there's still the option to anchor outside, pick up a buoy, sail to a harbour wall or call for help.

My berthing under sail has been split between my little Vivacity and 36'-38' AWBs and in all instances I picked a spot according to wind and tide and had no worries carrying out the manouvre. Also, I've only been sailing for a few years so certainly no "old salt".