Becoming a delivery skipper

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
More like the OP who is willing to do it for "nothing/not a lot" keeping the professional skippers fees low!

Fair enough, and thanks for those interesting points. I was happy to pay £500 + expenses (around £100 for one-way car hire back plus food which I'd already loaded up for my weather-aborted delivery). That the delivery skipper had a spare mooring in Milford Haven and saved me a month in the marina at peak rates helped too!

The aborted delivery, by the way, cost me about £300 in two way travel for me and the pal who was going to help.

theforeman

Visit site
......The legal system in Italy is definately more complex and complete than the British one, because it is based on two millennia of experience in Law and Rights, one Constitution, ...... and precise legislation, something that Britain lacks of ......

surprised the southern contingent have let you away with this one :), especially as the first systemic national system of law in england was .... roman law. ;)

...... Britain does not even make a distiction between Civil and Criminal offences, where a road speeding violation gets prosecuted as a Criminal Offence, or allows for private financial funding of political parties and politicians, which is elsewhere considered a Criminal Offence.

afraid you have become seriously confused here. i would go back to your sources and have another read.

you will be aware, of course, that there are 2 distinct legal systems in britain - ( firstly ) the scottish legal system and ( secondly ) the legal system of england, wales and n. ireland. :D

here endeth the first lesson

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Possibly off topic, but amateur skippers aren't the only competition yacht delivery skippers face. I've just costed up having Capricious moved from the West of Scotland to Essex, and frankly the road freight charges would make it impossible for a delivery by sea to be competitive at £200 a day. The road distance is about 450 statute miles - say, 9 hours on the road at legal speeds for an HGV. It costs somewhat less than £1000; it is still going down on shiply.com! The sea distance is a bit over 700 nm - surprisingly, it doesn't make a lot of difference going through the Caledonian Canal or down the Irish Sea (the Forth-Clyde isn't really an option because it is barely deep enough for Capricious, and requires the mast to be down; Capricious' mast needs a crane for stepping and unstepping). For planning purposes, Capricious does 5 knots - that's 140 hours, or 6 days even if you can keep going non-stop for that long! Given weather and exhaustion, it will take 2-3 weeks by sea; when thinking of doing it myself I reckoned 4 weeks would be a reasonable estimate. And, of course, I've measured the distance from cape to cape - in practise you'd have to detour to harbours. So, even under the most optimistic possible reckoning, it would cost £1200 to move Capricious by sea - and I'd pay more, no doubt, for fuel and harbour dues (to keep up 5 knots requires that you turn on the engine when the wind gets light!). Actually, it would take far longer, costing more. So, between a rapid delivery that will take no more than a couple of days at relatively low cost and a protracted delivery that will take several weeks at much higher cost, which looks more reasonable?

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Possibly off topic, but amateur skippers aren't the only competition yacht delivery skippers face. I've just costed up having Capricious moved from the West of Scotland to Essex, and frankly the road freight charges would make it impossible for a delivery by sea to be competitive at £200 a day. The road distance is about 450 statute miles - say, 9 hours on the road at legal speeds for an HGV. It costs somewhat less than £1000; it is still going down on shiply.com!

Don't forget craneage ... it would have cost me about £200 to get Jumblie demasted and loaded at Milford Haven and another £250 to get her in the water at Kirkcudbright.

But yes, I agree with what you say. Although there is presumably a breakeven point, I suspect that for anything involving swapping sides of the UK the lorry will win easily every time.