BBC ‘Inside Out’ (South West) Mon 16 Jan asks: Did a yacht delivery company pressuris

islandsailor

Visit site
Apologies if this is already being discussed, thought it would have been - have had a search and couldn't find a thread covering it

This from a friends blog

BBC ‘Inside Out’ (South West) Mon 16 Jan asks: Did a yacht delivery company pressurise Devon men into sailing in dangerous conditions?

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

I’ve been contacted by this lady Wendy Wood with the following information which seems to me to be worth highlighting on my personal blog.

These are entirely her words:

In December 2006 my brother, a yacht delivery skipper, and his two crew were lost at sea during a hurricane off the coast of Oregon, USA. I believed that these three men died because they were forced to proceed up the Oregon coast against their better judgement and experience. Threats of non-payment and purposely being fed misinformation concerning the weather ahead by the company forced them to continue.

In my possession I had a trail of emails that were sent between my brother and his employer, Reliance Yacht Management/Deliveries, based locally to Southampton supporting this. The emails showed a total disregard on the part of Reliance Yacht Management for the care and safety of my brother and his crew.

In September 2010, I was successful in a civil action against the company before Master Kay, Admiralty Court, Royal Courts of Justice. Master Kay slated the practice and negligence of Reliance Yachts and in particular the Director, Nick Irving.

It was only after this court action that it came to light that two other skippers, recruited by this company, had also died in similar circumstances after being forced to proceed on a trip that was deemed dangerous. Thankfully the crews on these two boats were rescued at the last moment but not the skippers.

It also came to light that Nick Irving had 4 other court judgements against him which have never been settled as mine never has. To avoid paying these judgements, the company is closed and restarted in other similar names. In fact, the Director has recently attempted to close Reliance Yacht Deliveries, the company we successfully took to court, without any attempt at settling the judgement. The closure has been suspended due to an appeal lodged by my lawyer who is still attempting to get settlement.

The BBC has taken up this story and on Monday 16 January, the full 30 minutes of the regional programme Inside Out is being dedicated to these tragedies and the disgraceful and despicable practices of Reliance Yachts and the Director, Nick Irving. The programme will be shown at 7.30 p.m. on BBC1 South, BBC South West regionally or SKY Channel 984.

I am writing in the hope that you can bring this programme to the attention of your readers/members in the hope that word will spread of the dangers of working for unscrupulous companies such as this and the tragic outcomes that can happen for unprotected and unsuspecting skippers and crew. My family and I have suffered 5 traumatic years trying to highlight these practices and our wish is to avoid another family the pain and suffering that we have had.

Kind regards, Wendy Wood

Seajet

Visit site
I don't know if it is in relation to the case/s mentioned, but that company name seems somehow familiar, not in a good way...

Clarky,

can you get a friend with Sky to record it for you ?

Last edited:

Submariner!

Visit site
Apologies if this is already being discussed, thought it would have been - have had a search and couldn't find a thread covering it

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

It also came to light that Nick Irving had 4 other court judgements against him which have never been settled as mine never has. To avoid paying these judgements, the company is closed and restarted in other similar names. In fact, the Director has recently attempted to close Reliance Yacht Deliveries, the company we successfully took to court, without any attempt at settling the judgement. The closure has been suspended due to an appeal lodged by my lawyer who is still attempting to get settlement.

Kind regards, Wendy Wood

I will be watching this one with great interest. I have worked for Compass Yacht Services back in 1990. Sadly the company is no more, but the boats were handed to me to take places and it was entirely down to me to decide when to go.

If I were still in the delivery game, I would certainly would not tolerate some desk jockey telling me to put out to sea before I had my crew ready and its was safe to do so!

skipperRO

www.eurosail.ro
Having worked for RYM I am very interested in this BBC program. Unfortunately I can not watch BBC fro where I am now.
Do you have any knowledge on the possibilities to watch it on line or maybe a good Samaritan could record it and post it later for anyone interested could see it?

PS I noticed RYM already took counteraction by posting this on their FB page (in fact searching for "RYM BBC" is how I discovered this thread!):
The views expressed recently in the media are deeply flawed with numerous factual errors. They refer to events over 6 years ago with the tragic loss of life. It is expressed that no profesional captain will compromise the safety of the boat and crew to commercial pressures. They are requested to undertake risk assessments and generate their own passage plans. All Captains are qualified and experienced. They decide departure dates and the route taken. It is an insult to professional, experienced and qualified captains to suggest that for commercial reasons they would compromise their own safety, and that of the crew. The company cannot insisted that a yacht must depart on a certain day on a certain course. There are no time or navigation restrictions within the Captains’ contract.

It is also made clear that no legal claim has been made against Reliance Yacht Management by any yacht owner, or corporate entity in relation to these events.

Contributors to the programme include competitors. A director of one has worked or works within the television industry. There has been no response from the BBC to the suggestion that there is a clear conflict of interest and their intent to profit from the suffering of others.

Reliance Yacht Management refutes the claims made and is seeking an apology from the producers.

RupertW

Visit site
I will be watching this one with great interest. I have worked for Compass Yacht Services back in 1990. Sadly the company is no more, but the boats were handed to me to take places and it was entirely down to me to decide when to go.

If I were still in the delivery game, I would certainly would not tolerate some desk jockey telling me to put out to sea before I had my crew ready and its was safe to do so!

In 2002 I did a few deliveries for Reliance, and can understand their concern as a business for promising that a particular job be done by and approximate time. That will be known at the time that a skipper takes the job, or turns it down. But the responsibility for the safety of boat and crew lies with the skipper who has to be able to take the judgement that the boat, or weather, makes a plan unsafe. If that disappoints the client the worst that can happen is that the skipper is no longer first choice for the next job. In any walk of life the people who get over problems and please clients get more work than others.

I don't know any details of the case on the TV this week, but the Biscay case was an example of going out of a harbour into bad onshore weather then choosing to close the coast again when the weather got even rougher. That implies poor choices made on the boat rather than an office error, or perhaps not being nearly careful enough when vetting the experience of the skipper - and I sailed with at least one who should never have got the job although he did skipper us across the Atlantic without much damage done.

I have a massive problem, though, with businesses who go under and resurface continually with unpaid debts - that says volumes about shirking responsibility.

Where I have a real

Sandyman

Visit site
Whilst I can understand the commercial pressures on such company's, any skipper worth his salt would surely tell them to go fly a kite even under threats of lost work.