Batteries failed

GHA

Visit site
Best off the shelf option might be Ayamar in Ayamonte. Sopromar will have something in Lagos or Portimao. but they can be a bit pricey -a plus would be you could dinghy up to the boatyard in Portimao from the anchorage to collect some.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Boat equipment + economic + Portugal don't go together so many have them shipped from UK by Algarve Freight. Ayamar in Ayamonte, as GHA says is best bet around here. You could leave boat on anchor, get the ferry to Olhao and train to/from Vila Real and then ferry across to Ayamonte. There and back in the afternoon.

Heckler

Visit site
Boat equipment + economic + Portugal don't go together so many have them shipped from UK by Algarve Freight. Ayamar in Ayamonte, as GHA says is best bet around here. You could leave boat on anchor, get the ferry to Olhao and train to/from Vila Real and then ferry across to Ayamonte. There and back in the afternoon.

Plus one, my mate who keeps his Moody in Port Aindratx in the summer and Sant Carlos de Repeta in the winter needed some desparately before this years trek to Andraitx phoned me to ask the same question. I told him to phone John at Ayamar because he had to.d me he would ship to anywhere in Spain. He did and he did, my mate said he did a superb deal!
Stu

Cariadco

Visit site
Although my reply doesn't involve purchasing in the Algarve, but for information, yesterday I've just bought a pair of Varta 12v lead Acid Batteries, 110 ah and 900a cranking current, for 170e each. (in Corfu)
I think that was a bit of a bargain, compared to web prices in the UK.

Last edited:

emandvee44

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I have what I think is a good deal here in Albufeira (Nautiworks). They will supply and install 3 batteries this morning and take away the old ones.Price was not the cheapest, but -20% from list. Overall the deal was ok.
I wanted to buy Varta 140Ah, (@ €250 ea. thus replacing like with like, but the local agents in Faro are supplied from Spain and only receive a full pallet load at a time, so the wait could have been a long one.(I know I could have sailed to Ayamonte.....).
Now the fridge has packed up ! Running all the time so might need gas.

Michael,

Heckler

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I have what I think is a good deal here in Albufeira (Nautiworks). They will supply and install 3 batteries this morning and take away the old ones.Price was not the cheapest, but -20% from list. Overall the deal was ok.
I wanted to buy Varta 140Ah, (@ €250 ea. thus replacing like with like, but the local agents in Faro are supplied from Spain and only receive a full pallet load at a time, so the wait could have been a long one.(I know I could have sailed to Ayamonte.....).
Now the fridge has packed up ! Running all the time so might need gas.

Michael,
Only time you need gas is if it has leaked, usually caused by someone defrosting with a sharp knife!
If it is running all the time and not cycling then you need to get some more cooling to the condensor perhaps? Does it need cleaning of the fins? Check the temp inside, if it is down to about 6-8 degc then adjust the thermostat to make it cycle. If nit then check why, is the evaporator iced up?
Stu