Banking

AndrewB

Visit site
After I returned from a long cruise, having sold my house before leaving, I was able to get a PO Box number on the basis of my employment, the Tax Office accepted this as an address, and my bank, NatWest accepted it since the Tax Office did.

But my building society was not so helpful. They turned down my request for a mortgage, and demanded I close my not inconsiderable savings account with them since I had no permanent address. It seemed ironic that I could not get a home on the grounds I didn't already have one. Fortunately for me, Nationwide BS were more accommodating (if that is not a bad pun).

Getting car insurance - essential for the commute from the marina to work - was also 'interesting'. Every PO Box comes with a unique postcode. Of course these do not compute when assessing insurance premiums. I had to trawl through several companies before finding one that would accept the marina postcode as my address.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Although we n longer live aboard full time, we still use my daughter’s address for all “official” paperwork (bank, tax, pensions, phones etc etc). Been using the address for about 6 years now with no problems at all. We’re on the electoral register and our holiday cottage electricity bill and business rates paperwork all route to that address. I suppose we could shift our address to our holiday cottage but that would mean depending on our housekeeper keeping an eye on arriving post, deciding what we need to see and emailing us about it.... not going to happen.
The reason we established this is because one of the th8ngs we picked up on early in our planning was the need to maintain a UK address, mainly for keeping us “live” on a doctors list, but it later emerged that it made life much simpler for so many things.
I haven’t managed to find a work round in terms of a bank that doesn’t demand a UK address. I can only suggest visiting a UK bank and get to talk to a manager (someone with some level of decision taking ability) about th problem. There must be a work round somewhere in the rules.

rustybarge

Visit site
Just heard an interview with this bank on the radio: no ultility bills or proof of address needed, just send a photo of your driving licence or passport by email.....seconds later you can transfer funds into your new account. They will send electronic credit/debit card to your phone or an actual card by post.

Although it's located in Ireland it's not a problem from any country in Europe.

https://www.kbc.ie

macd

Visit site
Just heard an interview with this bank on the radio: no ultility bills or proof of address needed, just send a photo of your driving licence or passport by email.....seconds later you can transfer funds into your new account. They will send electronic credit/debit card to your phone or an actual card by post.

Although it's located in Ireland it's not a problem from any country in Europe.

https://www.kbc.ie

The web site stipulates slightly more onerous requirements than the interview suggested, at least for some types of account:

"If you are applying for a current account in one of our Hubs you will need to provide one original proof of photo ID and one original proof of address verification (issued in the last 6 months).

If you are applying online or over the phone you will need to provide two proofs of photo ID and two proofs of address verification (issued within the last 6 months)."

Accounts seem also to be in euros, which won't suit everyone.