Baltic or the Spanish Rias? More detail required?

Fascadale

Visit site
This is a question very similar to one asked a while ago

Baltic or the Spanish Rias?

Mrs Fascadale will be able to cruise with me for three months next summer. We are thinking of the Stockholm/Aaland archipelagos or the Spanish Rias.

The Baltic is a very attractive proposition, great scenery, interesting sailing, friendly people, plenty of anchoring opportunities, very good showers and toilet facilities (important to Mrs F) On the other hand beer is very very expensive, and the sunshine is not guaranteed.

Spain has the heat, plentiful cheap beer and wine but what about the showers and loos? Eating out there is reasonably priced.

The boat is small, 26ft, no refrigeration, no air conditioning and no fans.

The Baltic is easier to get to from Edinburgh but Biscay would be an attractive challenge.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Never done the Baltic, so can't comment on that.

With 3 months, you would have plenty of time to see much of the French west coast, then hop down to northern Spain and along to the rias. We've done them 3 times and still not seen everywhere. Cheap food and wine, plenty of anchorages. Not too hot, similar weather to UK in some ways but a tad warmer.

Kimmo

Visit site
I'm of course biased, but I vote for Baltic sea, especially with the boat size you have. Even with strongish winds, the archipelago offers shelter from waves, meaning you can almost always sail. With Biscay (we rounded that pond in March/April) no shelter anywhere. Also Baltic sea has so many places to visit that you cannot visit them all during your life time.

The only drawback which I think is a major drawback with the Baltic sea is that the most common wind direction during summer months is SW. Meaning you will get to Stockholm and Aland just fine, but getting back to home will be a frustrating experience.