Ball Valve For Fuel?

Tim Good

Visit site
Is there a specific material of a ball valve best for diesel? I assume that anything would do but what is the best? I only have to replace a few 1/4" valves so cost is not an issue I just want to ensure I get the best I can.

Secondly; is PTFE tape a no no for fuel valves? If so what is the best thing to use to make a decent seal?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I suggest you look at ASAP's site under 'fuel valve'. Huge choice, not sure there is a 'best'.

Diesel injector pumps and injectors rely on very small clearances to function correctly. These can easily be blocked by strings of PTFE tape, or many other solids. The best seal is a copper olive, no sealant should be necessary if done properly. There have been several threads recently on the subject about gas (with you the OP?), the same applies to fuel.

Tim Good

Visit site
I suggest you look at ASAP's site under 'fuel valve'. Huge choice, not sure there is a 'best'.

Diesel injector pumps and injectors rely on very small clearances to function correctly. These can easily be blocked by strings of PTFE tape, or many other solids. The best seal is a copper olive, no sealant should be necessary if done properly. There have been several threads recently on the subject about gas (with you the OP?), the same applies to fuel.

I don't recall asking about gas recently but thanks for the advice as always Vyv.

prv

Visit site
I've always just used bog standard brass ones from ASAP. Certainly shouldn't be any risk of corrosion in diesel, and I can't forsee any other problems.

Pete

Tim Good

Visit site
I think I'm going to opt for these which I recently bought for my water inlet manifold. They have a sliding latch which allows you to padlock the valve shut. A bit OTT but something extra to do when leaving the boat in an unfamiliar marina or anchorage.

http://www.valves-online.co.uk/acat...-Bore-Stainless-steel-Ball-Valve-2001_02.html

10987692_10153052132783162_7389287193182844310_n.jpg

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
PTFE is almost totally inert, and is not attacked by diesel fuel, or any other kind that I know of. It's the tape that's the problem, small fibres of it will inevitably break off when making joints up and some may well find their way downstream. I have some dramatic photos of a gas turbine that burnt and destroyed itself when a piece of PTFE tape became trapped across one of the combustor nozzles, diverting the flame path.

Tim Good

Visit site
Heh. I was thinking epoxy, or a file to round off the flats, but that's a more elegant solution. Shame it didn't occur to the valve manufacturer to use them as-supplied.

I actually work in the padlock industry and the lockoff holes are just for safety internally to prevent someone turning something on whilst someone is working in or near a machine. In this case we need protection from thieves but who'd go for unlocking the nuts as you suggested. Conveniently I have access to these little beauties which I get sent in specifically for yachties in a special small version.

http://www.nothingbutpadlocks.com/advice/boat-locker/

I'll take some photos of valves and locks installed when I'm done.

Tranona

Visit site
That type of lockable valve is popular in the US because it allows you to disable your seatoilet when going into the inland waterways.

Kelpie

Visit site
PTFE is almost totally inert, and is not attacked by diesel fuel, or any other kind that I know of. It's the tape that's the problem, small fibres of it will inevitably break off when making joints up and some may well find their way downstream. I have some dramatic photos of a gas turbine that burnt and destroyed itself when a piece of PTFE tape became trapped across one of the combustor nozzles, diverting the flame path.

A fuel cock will usually be before the engine's fine filter, is there much realistic chance of strands of PTFE getting past that?

lw395

Visit site
You have more need of something to stop the fuel being accidentally turned off.
I've heard more than one tale where a lever ball valve has got knocked into the off position by people rummaging in the locker or whatever, resulting in the engine stopping at an embarrassing moment.

Tim Good

Visit site
You have more need of something to stop the fuel being accidentally turned off.
I've heard more than one tale where a lever ball valve has got knocked into the off position by people rummaging in the locker or whatever, resulting in the engine stopping at an embarrassing moment.

Well that's a good point actually that I didn't consider. I have done that myself but realised in time. Those ones from Valves Online would serve that purpose also.

prv

Visit site
Well that's a good point actually that I didn't consider. I have done that myself but realised in time. Those ones from Valves Online would serve that purpose also.

I tend to use the T-handled ball valves for the same reason - less likely to get turned accidentally.

405201.jpg

Pete

haydude

Visit site
Marine ball valves for water are good also for fuel. Do not use PTFE because diesel melts it. I used sikaflex successfully. Sikaflex is not affected by diesel or solvents once cured.