Bad weather

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Just found out it looks like the boat being bashed against the harbour wall has indeed been sunk

Just been sent a picture of the boat sunk in the entrance to the canal. Doesn’t look as if it will prevent the canal operating but if anyone has any information about the bridge opening it would be useful. The videos on the FB page show the sunken yacht in the process of sinking: she has an anchor out to the stern to hold her off the wall but has clearly been holed and is lying low in the water.

As to where to go in this part of the world, the best place is probably Vliho Bay. Although there was a nasty storm cell through here a few years back, the wind is generally lower inside the bay than out and the holding is excellent.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Just come from there and there was no 3pm opening but the bridge operator was telling them it would be open at 4pm. The sunken boat is off to the port side as you leave and will not cause a problem for boats

That’s good to know. The 1300 and 1500 openings don’t happen through the high season because of the traffic chaos it causes in town. But that finishes tomorrow iirc.....
Pretty calm here in Vliho now, might get to meet up with friends at the Yacht Club after postponing drinks for the past few evenings.

SOT

Visit site
That’s good to know. The 1300 and 1500 openings don’t happen through the high season because of the traffic chaos it causes in town. But that finishes tomorrow iirc.....
Pretty calm here in Vliho now, might get to meet up with friends at the Yacht Club after postponing drinks for the past few evenings.

Pretty sure thats correct in that it was until the end of sept. We were just contemplating a drink in the yacht club but I'm not sure I can be bothered to pump the dinghy back up !!

jordanbasset

Visit site

Very little wind now here either, in fact less than normal for this time of night, but I'm not complaining

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We managed to find a window to get out of Itea Left AndrewB and Rib behind I sure they be fine now .
Sailed to Trizonia in gusting condition and Mod seas , fast sail but once again they got it wrong , given NE and we got a SSE .
Yery quiet in Trizonia tho there a lot of boat hold up .
Harbour looking better from the last time we was here .

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Zygrib shows it diminishing to 20 knots by the time the centre leaves the Peloponnese.

The one to watch now is the new Cold patch which will cause a similar event to last weeks NE in the Aegean.
http://www.severe-weather.eu/

That site shows the Medicane following a track right over us instead of slightly to the East. Not a huge surprise. Wind finally arrived this morning, not a lot, but followed by lots of rain. We've been getting torrential rain and gusts up to about 30+kts. Unfortunately, it swung much further around than expected and put us close to shore. No real problem as the anchor had not budged but we were fortunate to get a lull without rain. Now anchored again slightly further offshore.

It would be nice to just pick the ideal spot first time but the bay at Porto Heli is pretty full now. One of the larger tripper boats left the quay and anchored close inshore on East side.

I expect that there are lots of problems ashore as we've been surrounded by mud & sand washed off the shore. Internet keeps going, both shore Wifi and 3G affected. Back working now (obviously) for a while.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That site shows the Medicane following a track right over us instead of slightly to the East. Not a huge surprise. Wind finally arrived this morning, not a lot, but followed by lots of rain. We've been getting torrential rain and gusts up to about 30+kts. Unfortunately, it swung much further around than expected and put us close to shore. No real problem as the anchor had not budged but we were fortunate to get a lull without rain. Now anchored again slightly further offshore.

It would be nice to just pick the ideal spot first time but the bay at Porto Heli is pretty full now. One of the larger tripper boats left the quay and anchored close inshore on East side.

I expect that there are lots of problems ashore as we've been surrounded by mud & sand washed off the shore. Internet keeps going, both shore Wifi and 3G affected. Back working now (obviously) for a while.
Mike , you can almost forget what ever they forecastering , every mod show a NE backing N over night where we are , we got SE sailing down this morning , and now moored onto a SW quay and a while back we was pinning hard as a South blow came in , it now gone back SE , hoping it going to do As it says and go the North but I not betting any money on it .

One A.

Visit site

How did that green abandoned hulk nr Niki Beach fair?

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
How did that green abandoned hulk nr Niki Beach fair?

It had already sunk last time we looked on 17th Sept. Still looking pretty much the same after 40+kts today. Trying to work out what to do next as nothing following any forecast or GRIBs. Wind now coming right into the bay and looks likely to continue round to 280-310 overnight. Strength could be anything from 16 - 45kts. Spare anchor on deck ready to go if needed but loath to use it tonight with unknown wind shifts. I'll probably stay put and only move to West of bay if 45kts looks likely from NW.

PortoHeliWreck.jpg

Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Mike , you can almost forget what ever they forecastering , every mod show a NE backing N over night where we are , we got SE sailing down this morning , and now moored onto a SW quay and a while back we was pinning hard as a South blow came in , it now gone back SE , hoping it going to do As it says and go the North but I not betting any money on it .

Spot on Vic, we tried dice for wind direction and cards for strength. I got SE and F9 this morning, probably closer than the forecasts. Might give it another go tonight. :D:D

One A.

Visit site
It had already sunk last time we looked on 17th Sept. Still looking pretty much the same after 40+kts today. Trying to work out what to do next as nothing following any forecast or GRIBs. Wind now coming right into the bay and looks likely to continue round to 280-310 overnight. Strength could be anything from 16 - 45kts. Spare anchor on deck ready to go if needed but loath to use it tonight with unknown wind shifts. I'll probably stay put and only move to West of bay if 45kts looks likely from NW.

PortoHeliWreck.jpg

Maybe tuck up under the nice villa on the hill opposite the sunken hulk, shallow but good holding.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Maybe tuck up under the nice villa on the hill opposite the sunken hulk, shallow but good holding.

Thanks, there were a lot of boats there earlier but some moved before dark. I thought about it but decided it might still be too busy. Also a chance that wind might end up 45kts directly onshore. Wind has swung around to about 300 deg. now and gusting to 42kts. I think it's likely to slowly move round a bit further and drop in next 5-6 hours.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Does anybody know where this is please? My son is a Flott engineer with SH and not heard from him for a while, hope he’s not too busy!

View attachment 73362
Can't help you with the photo Chris but there a group of sailing holiday boats going our way , there on the way to Corfu ,
Mikemanor from here is with them , maybe worth PM him and see what he knows .
There could be a good reason you not heard from him , there probably all very busy dealing with boats and weather .

Last edited: