Bad weather

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Very bad weather forecast on Thursday this week Lavrio area .
Locals are saying it could be 10 bf +
Anyone know more.

No special inside knowledge I'm afraid. I've been watching forecasts on this for a few days. It is now showing on Skiron downloads for 5 days ahead and that's been pretty accurate all summer, especially when strong wind forecast well in advance.

Lavrio area:
06:00 local 25th approx. 26-30kts building to 31-38kts by 18:00 and 36-42kts overnight. Up & down a little but still 43kts by 03:00 on 27th. Rising to 57kts by mid-day on 27th based on another GRIB for 7 day forecast. If anything, the forecasts tend to underestimate a bit and I can see why locals might be expecting F10+.

I need to be in Ermioni to get one of my regular injections but intend to head to Porto Heli for 24th. That should give us a day of F5-6 before the slightly stronger wind kicks in early on 25th. I'm hoping that will get us ready for 26th/27th with anchor well dug in (& hopefully no charter boats directly upwind :D).

It looks as if it will be worst around Lavrion & W. Cyclades and generally from around 20-30 degrees. I think you have a mooring in Poros, doesn't look a lot better there either. Still windy in Porto Heli though, approx. 48kts max. last time I checked a forecast.

Best to plan for the worst case anyway, good luck.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Looks like tues to Friday's is going to be the worst , we heading for the canal as we have friends to drop off then need to be in Zakinthos for co skipper flight , I rackon the way it looking now Poros Isnt going to be that bad maybe F5 .
Good luck Mike and Bob stay safe guys

AndrewB

Visit site
The meltemi has seemed stronger and more persistent than usual this year. We are thankfully now in the Corinth Gulf having thrashed our way back from Kos against headwinds of up to 30kts. At least it rarely brings big seas in the Aegean.

Lavrion is a particularly bad spot as the wind is accelerated between the mainland and Macronisos. We sat out a gale there nine days ago. The forecast I use gives a 'severe gale' warning on Wednesday and Thursday with a maximum of 45 kts mid-morning on Thursday.

Even here we are threatened with easterlies up to gale force on Tuesday and Wednesday where the Gulf narrows around the Rion bridge.

One consolation, its nothing compared with what they've been getting in the UK.

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Looks like tues to Friday's is going to be the worst , we heading for the canal as we have friends to drop off then need to be in Zakinthos for co skipper flight , I rackon the way it looking now Poros Isnt going to be that bad maybe F5 .
Good luck Mike and Bob stay safe guys

Thanks for that Vic, sounds as if you are going in the right direction anyway. Hope the canal trip is uneventful.

Today's forecasts do show wind a lot less, probably only 40kts max. at Lavrio, 37kts at Poros and 33kts at Porto Heli on 27th. Still early days so forecasts still not likely to be terribly accurate but strong wind pretty certain. Glad I'm not going to be near Lavrio though. Planning to be ready in case it does pipe up more than forecast when it arrives.

We were in Paros a few weeks ago when strong wind had been forecast for a week. We were anchored on the other side of the bay and had said we couldn't understand why anyone would anchor on the outside wall with the forecast wind.

It was interesting to watch the boats outside the harbour topple like dominoes when the strong onshore wind arrived. Most had the sense to leave before it got too bad, but charter boats stayed put. I think that the harbour police RIB got them out of trouble by taking some strain while they untangled.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I am moving to Karistos from Porto Rafti.
Flat calm it's difficult to believe that the worst weather for the season is forecast to arrive in 48 hours

Yes Bob it's is hard to think within a few days it going to hit , but there no doubt its on the way , tell tails have been in the sky's for a day or so now .
We was hoping to miss most of it by going through the canal but it doesn't look so good now although it's no where near as bad as some places .

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Yes Bob it's is hard to think within a few days it going to hit , but there no doubt its on the way , tell tails have been in the sky's for a day or so now .
We was hoping to miss most of it by going through the canal but it doesn't look so good now although it's no where near as bad as some places .
Yep, Windfinder is still giving in excess of 50 it's

AndrewB

Visit site
Thought we'd get out of the way of the forecast easterly gale later this week by making as much westward as possible today through the Gulf of Corinth. A pleasant NE3 set us on our way, though we did wonder about the sizeable swells. Five miles from Trizonia suddenly we saw the water ahead a mass of white. The wind flipped round to F6 west with gusts to 30kts, and really steep seas. Completely unforecast.

We tried for a while but could make little progress against it, so we went back to Galaxidi (great downwind ride surfing btw :)), where the wind was still light.

I guess all that wind must be all going somewhere to gather for an east gale tomorrow. Looks like we'll be having a few extra days vacation in Galaxidi - there are worse places. :cool:

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Thought we'd get out of the way of the forecast easterly gale later this week by making as much westward as possible today through the Gulf of Corinth. A pleasant NE3 set us on our way, though we did wonder about the sizeable swells. Five miles from Trizonia suddenly we saw the water ahead a mass of white. The wind flipped round to F6 west with gusts to 30kts, and really steep seas. Completely unforecast.

We tried for a while but could make little progress against it, so we went back to Galaxidi (great downwind ride surfing btw :)), where the wind was still light.

I guess all that wind must be all going somewhere to gather for an east gale tomorrow. Looks like we'll be having a few extra days vacation in Galaxidi - there are worse places. :cool:

We have seen this but the opposite way around. Flew the spinnaker from Messalonghi in a gentle force 2-3. We debated whether to fly it under the bridge, but drawing on previous experience we decided to drop it. Almost immediately after passing beneath it the wind was on the nose from the east and as we passed the point only a short distance beyond there were several windsurfers crossing our path in a good force 4-5.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I am moving to Karistos from Porto Rafti.
Flat calm it's difficult to believe that the worst weather for the season is forecast to arrive in 48 hours

Best place for you Bob , keep your head down , there another one coming in by the week end and although,
at the moment it should pass well to the south of you , never know these cyclone can tend to move North a bit then forecaster .
Really nasty stuff moving around .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
after some telephone call we mange to get through the canal this morning , plain was to go into port Corinth , but once out the other side with 2.5 mts waves and winds touching 30 kts we decide there was only one option , itea .
Forecaster no more then a 5 from the NE , what we got was 30/35 most of the way with a max of 45kts .
Not much fun doing 40 miles in them seas and wind ,
Forecaster for tomorrow again no more then a F5 here but by the way it's blowing to night ,
I not holding out much hope that's they got it right .

Yngmar

Visit site
A Medicane! Learnt another new word there. Although the predictions are still changing a lot in strength and exact location.

We're stuck in Ragusa and watching it with interest. Had some minor engine troubles to sort and it's been a bit blowy the last two days and the swell is up. The entrance is pretty silted up here and we only had 1.2m under keel coming in (there is a sandbank, but it seems to move around and isn't marked), so don't want to risk leaving with >1m swell coming into the entrance. Actually Friday looks best (well, least bad) for the 35 mile hop to Licata, unless the prediction moves that depression further west again.

On the upside, the Addio all'Estate fireworks here were spectacular, and we managed to have delicious pizza from the corner place by the marina before they closed for a three week holiday. Will use the time for a trip to Ragusa city.

Caladh

Visit site
after some telephone call we mange to get through the canal this morning , plain was to go into port Corinth , but once out the other side with 2.5 mts waves and winds touching 30 kts we decide there was only one option , itea .
Forecaster no more then a 5 from the NE , what we got was 30/35 most of the way with a max of 45kts .
Not much fun doing 40 miles in them seas and wind ,
Forecaster for tomorrow again no more then a F5 here but by the way it's blowing to night ,
I not holding out much hope that's they got it right .

One of the nicest east places in the Gulf of Corinth. It's a shame they don't do more to encourage the boats ie. No loos or easy fresh water but enjoy anyway and at least it's pretty well sheltered. Right down the end in the corner is best but probably already taken.