Bad design - spring hatch loop ...

Refueler

Visit site
Bought a box of these :

hatch openers.jpg

For fitting to my MoBo's cockpit floor sections ... at present I need a flat blade inserted in joint between them to lift ..

They are good ... stainless 316 etc. BUT why do so many items like this have the screws so close to the edge of cutout to fit ?? The hole to fix these into - not round but odd shape .... so extreme care needed to leave just that very narrow sliver for screw to go into !!

Refueler

Visit site
Problem is I need to get under the floor quite often and its a pain keep jabbing a screwdriver into the joint ... maybe I'll get some canvas tape and staple under and have a flap coming up to pull on.

I need to lift port side floor to switch on battery banks and open / close port fuel tank. To lift stbd floor to operate bilge pump valve and to open / close stbd fuel tank.

cockpit floor.jpg

I intend to re-route battery breaker switches to a position more accessible. The fuel tanks would be hard to change - but I may look at remote operated valves.

Refueler

Visit site
I think many of these are designed to fit in a rebate not a full cut out, not that practical to do on floor panels though

That's my thought as well ... I have considered Dremel'ing out a rebate ... even scanned one to create a paper template.

If I was to make a cut-out to fit it ... I would Screw and Glue ....

Refueler

Visit site
Change them for heavy duty locking lifters that keep the hatches firmly down. ASAP do them.

No need to lock them down ... these are serious lumps of ply !! The smallest section being about 1m long and 20cms wide. The engine cover is covering a 3 litre Volvo 6cyl engine .... sized like a cars bonnet !

Martin_J

Visit site
My Moody has these type of lifting handles on all the floor panels. I've not really looked at how they were rebated.

They do take quite some lifting pull sometimes though because I added sprung roller catches under the edges of all the boards to stop the floor boards from dropping in case of inversion..

penberth3

Visit site
Bought a box of these :

View attachment 178235

For fitting to my MoBo's cockpit floor sections ... at present I need a flat blade inserted in joint between them to lift ..

They are good ... stainless 316 etc. BUT why do so many items like this have the screws so close to the edge of cutout to fit ?? The hole to fix these into - not round but odd shape .... so extreme care needed to leave just that very narrow sliver for screw to go into !!

It's not bad design, it's deliberate. Save material, more pieces per square metre of steel.

William_H

Visit site
Once your out in serous enough weather you will find they need locking down. However, my point was about using sturdier fittings than lightweight cupboard catches.
If Nigel ever finds his mobo so far inverted that floor boards fall out he has more worries than floor boards. Which reminds me if you do go out in big seas make sure EPIRB is accessible from (you in) the water with boat upside down. A few examples around here of recent times.
Incidentally boat made of aluminium. Unusual? I reckon there are as many ali mobo /dighies around here as GRP in you size class. Stessl Boats For Sale - Dinghy World ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
If Nigel ever finds his mobo so far inverted that floor boards fall out he has more worries than floor boards. Which reminds me if you do go out in big seas make sure EPIRB is accessible from (you in) the water with boat upside down. A few examples around here of recent times.
Incidentally boat made of aluminium. Unusual? I reckon there are as many ali mobo /dighies around here as GRP in you size class. Stessl Boats For Sale - Dinghy World ol'will

You echo my thoughts !!

The main floor is screwed down where helm and 'guest' sit ... the removable sections are the aft half and under the rear bench seat. If they do come free and become a liability - then the boat is in extreme trouble and so am I !

My Sunrider 25 motor sailer has broached and despite tales of woe from some years ago about my cabin sole not being fixed down - it never moved ...

Refueler

Visit site
As you're going to work on the fitment anyway, why not pick one that meet your requirements, from the huge selection available?
View attachment 178275

I am looking and agree - that a better fitting needs to be found. I shall keep existing for lesser jobs .... maybe even fit to the 38's small keel teak access sections.

Found these but only plated iron .... will be checking shops locally to see if any .... why buy plated online - if I can get same locally over counter !!

hatch handles.jpg

The only downside apart from the corrosive aspect ... is they are not flush .... you know what women are like about no shoes !!

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest