As a newbe to boating

andykayll

Visit site
As a newbe to boating (I am looking to buy my first boat as a live aboard) I have found this topic both depressing and informative. It has certainly made me consider my choice of boat and what I will use it for more carfully.
I haven't the time to go through every post so excuse me if I raise points already covered but I would make the following points.

Outside of the boat owning fraternity I suspect that few people even know about these proposed changes but I would agree that the vast majority of non boat owners will not give a damn about price rises for boat fuel as long as it does not effect the cost of going on a ferry (which it would appear not to).
They are in fact likely to welcome the EU bill regarding changes to Road diesel if it will reduce the price (which it appears it will do).
Unless all boat owners stick together on this, and preasent a united front with good solid practical reasons then enforcement is inevitable.

Even with full support some ground may have to be given however damage limitation is possible.
Given that the tax on road Diesel is "supposed" to contribute to road maintenance, (if it does or not is not the issue, that is the claim made by govenment) there is a good argument for "Leisure Fuel" not to track "Road Fuel" and if EU unification is the ultimate goal then it could be proposed to the EU that they set a unified price that all countrys would have to charge, whilst this would mean a price hike it might come to this.
It would be stupid and even more costly to have "Red" "White" and another type of Diesel fuel system but since most large users will have their own supply set-up, and given the problems of checking what is in your tank, it would probably be cheaper to process a "Duty Rebate" scheme for valid users. This would eliminate the added increase due to low demand or the risk of lack of supply.
If the Govenment insisted on tracking "Road Diesel" then we could insist that the duty paid over that being charged in the rest of the EU be spent on waterways maintenance and the saving be passed on in reduced Waterways licence fees. This would be of most benefit to inland users who do not have the option to fuel up in cheaper countrys.

Either way, with the proper approch, and the speed that things tend to happen in EU law, we should hopefully be able to stall any changes for a while yet.

As a final thought, given the proposed changes relating to Diesel for electricity generation, what would be the situation for a vessel using a Diesel engine to drive a Generator and then an Electric motor for Drive...
Tricky I think
Andy

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
"They are in fact likely to welcome the EU bill regarding changes to Road diesel if it will reduce the price (which it appears it will do)."

No it will not. The harmonisation rule has been in force for years and ignored for years by the UK government.

You are trying to be too logical - governements do not follow logic. Nor do they follow their own rules if they can get away with it.

Col

Visit site
"and given the problems of checking what is in your tank, it would probably be cheaper to process a "Duty Rebate" scheme for valid users. This would eliminate the added increase due to low demand or the risk of lack of supply."

I assume you mean ; do away with red diesel?
Don't you think that would increase the oppertunity for fraud? ie Put white diesel in your road car, but claim it was for your trawler / Ferry / Workboat.
Goverment won't wear that one!

TrueBlue

Visit site
No, missed a trick me old cocker, (or whatever the expression might be):-

Keep Red Diesel, but charge "full price" for it - that could be with the minimum duty required by the EU; that is at a lesser price than DERV, BUT rebate the duty for qualifying users like agricultural, generators, and heating.

If you bung the Red in your motor, then you run the risk of having your cahones and the car seized - exactly as before.

This fiendish scheme satisfies the French, yes I mean the French who put boating use into the duty scheme and the EU duty requirements, we pay a bit more for our fuel, but not enough to bite too hard. Problem solved, all that's needed is a few thousand more staff - sourced from the redundancies due to the C&E / IR merger.

Sorted. In your dreams!