Arson attack in Grimsby

KevinV

Visit site
It's one of the real joys of the internet that this sort of thing gets an audience, and with lots of small donations that nobody will miss he'll get back on the water to enjoy his retirement.

Mark-1

Visit site
He was insured, just for 3rd party risks as i understand it.

My mgc27 is only insured 3rd party. The value isnt that high and there are far less restrictions on use with 3rd party insurance. It covers you if you hit something expensive. Just off to chip into his gofundme.

I also insure my little Corribee 3rd party. If losing it meant "my whole future has gone" then I'd insure it fully comp.

(Although, unless I'm jumping to conclusions, which is likely, googling his name plus Selby suggests a reason insurance might have been expensive for him.)

steveeasy

Visit site
It's one of the real joys of the internet that this sort of thing gets an audience, and with lots of small donations that nobody will miss he'll get back on the water to enjoy his retirement.
Hope so, people chuck money to anyone nowadays, I recon it’s genuine and it will help him refit it with some professional help.

Steveeasy

Sandydog2

Visit site
I also insure my little Corribee 3rd party. If losing it meant "my whole future has gone" then I'd insure it fully comp.

(Although, unless I'm jumping to conclusions, which is likely, googling his name plus Selby suggests a reason insurance might have been expensive for him.)
£5k reached now. It's really taking off. People want to be part of the story. It seems it doesn't matter whether it's true or not as long as there is a 'happy ending'.

harvey38

Visit site
£5k reached now. It's really taking off. People want to be part of the story. It seems it doesn't matter whether it's true or not as long as there is a 'happy ending'.

Why do you say 'People want to be part of the story'?

I have no wish other than to help a fellow boaty who, after quiet extensive research, has genuinely suffered a horrible set back. I'd be devastated if it happened to me!

Stemar

Visit site
It matters to me whether it's true or not.

"I have no wish other than to help a fellow boaty who, after quiet extensive research, has genuinely suffered a horrible set back."

Exactly. I'm happy to help him, but the only way I'd want to help a scammer who's taking advantage of someone's distress is with the donation of an old anchor and a swim ashore.

Sandydog2

Visit site
Why do you say 'People want to be part of the story'?

I have no wish other than to help a fellow boaty who, after quiet extensive research, has genuinely suffered a horrible set back. I'd be devastated if it happened to me!
No-one knows what happened yet. The police are investigating arson. A story has evolved about a homeless person seeking shelter from the cold, with seemingly no evidence whatsoever for that.

People all round the world are now sending money to a gofundme which when it was started could have been anyone cashing in (the owner has since joined it).

I was reading the comments on social media. Anyone who expressed doubts was shot down immediately with comments such as "your privilege is showing". Hundreds of people have commented on the plight of the entirely hypothetical rough sleeper.

Once these fundraisers get going they seem to acquire a life of their own. It seems that if enough people have already donated people assume it must be legitimate.

I don't know how people decide which are real and which are scams. Personally I do a little googling at least before I donate. I hope this story turns out to be all that it seems but I will wait a while before I donate any money as I have some doubts.

prestomg27

Visit site
No-one knows what happened yet. The police are investigating arson. A story has evolved about a homeless person seeking shelter from the cold, with seemingly no evidence whatsoever for that.

People all round the world are now sending money to a gofundme which when it was started could have been anyone cashing in (the owner has since joined it).

I was reading the comments on social media. Anyone who expressed doubts was shot down immediately with comments such as "your privilege is showing". Hundreds of people have commented on the plight of the entirely hypothetical rough sleeper.

Once these fundraisers get going they seem to acquire a life of their own. It seems that if enough people have already donated people assume it must be legitimate.

I don't know how people decide which are real and which are scams. Personally I do a little googling at least before I donate. I hope this story turns out to be all that it seems but I will wait a while before I donate any money as I have some doubts.
The sailing brothers did a piece on this on their latest release. They say they have spoken to the poor person involved and put a link to his gofundme. That is enough for me to contribute to the poor persons fund.

The only known facts are that a fellow boaters boat burnt down and he was distraught when filming the damage.

graham

Visit site
At least he has friends at his club who are giving help and support.

For people with 3d party insurance I would recommend a policy that covers 3d party liability and wreck removal. If your boat caught fire / sank in a harbour or marina you will be liable for the eye watering cost of having it lifted and disposed of.

I had a policy from "Basic Boat Liability" their office is in Sidcup, they covered me for 3d party and wreck removal so these policies are available.

Last edited:

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Robert Stockwin seems to be genuine as does the boat fire.

He has been posting videos of his boating for a few years on YouTube (9 years ago being the oldest) so boat name, type, location and person match up. Looks like the boat existed and got burnt out.

https://www.youtube.com/@robertstockwin1708/videos

It's reported in the local press and the details match ...

Owner devastated after boat destroyed in 'arson attack'
Boat owner says 'I'm still grieving her' after suspected arson attack

Robert Stockwin is mentioned in the Grimsby and Cleethorpes Yacht Club AGM minutes from Jan 21 as sailing "Wee Dragon"

https://www.gcyc.co.uk/_documents/[590552]2021_AGM_Minutes.pdf

Wee Dragon (a Contessa 26) is featured on his YouTube channel before he got Nidar, his now burnt out Rival 34.

The GoFundMe is linked on Roberts YouTube channel and I doubt he would link to a GoFundMe where someone else was getting the money.

IMO its genuine and not a scam.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
The article says he did go only for third party but thought that included fire and theft. It‘s too late for him as he won’t be able to spend his life savings twice but a healthy reminder to the rest of us that third party is only any use if we can happily afford to start again. I’m alos not quite sure how he knows it’s arson, but I might have missed that bit.

Says the media have seen CCTV pictures of someone climbing in and out over the fence, shame it was not electrified. Unless the Police or Fire Service turn up other explanations seems pretty conclusive. Typical sort of malicious damage that happens every day.

I will chip in, don't suppose hospital porters are overpaid.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site

My take is that a Rival of that vintage and size will be around 20K to replace .... easily what your average retiree on an NHS pension might spend on a car or camper van, not IMO ostentatious. It was kept afaik in a yacht club in Grimsby, which is not the South Coast - and he was saving money on his insurance, so most likely making lifestyle choices which allowed him to keep the boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1979-rival-32-8864034/

My dad kept a Finnsailer 35 in Tarbert in Argyll, Scotland for a number of years and ran the boat on a shoestring budget doing all the maintenance himself, so I don't believe the poor chap was particularly well off.

Here's the data on hospital porters .... Hospital porters

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
At least he has friends at his club who are giving help and support.

For people with 3d party insurance I would recommend a policy that covers 3d party liability and wreck removal. If your boat caught fire / sank in a harbour or marina you will be liable for the eye watering cost of having it lifted and disposed of.

I had a policy from "Basic Boat Liability" their office is in Sidcup, they covered me for 3d party and wreck removal so these policies are available.

Some folks just insure fairly blindly without reading the small print. Our boat's on swing mooring in EU and when shopping around at renewal time, one quote would only cover us for third party, no fire, theft, wreck removal or pollution.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
IMO its genuine and not a scam.
I think the concern with crowdfunding pages is they don't have a firm way to prove where the ££ will go. In this case the benefactor does seem to be linked NOW.

I don't believe the poor chap was particularly well off.

Here's the data on hospital porters .... Hospital porters

I'm certain hospital porters are not well paid and even their NHS pension isn't going to be that amazing, IF they have 40 years of service.

Of course, if they were actually an entrepreneur and crossed some people they could also have been working as a porter to make ends meet for the last few months.

I'm not saying any of this is the case. Just saying it's not impossible he doesn't have friends everywhere... Even if he does in the boating world.

I may watch too much TV drama

prestomg27

Visit site
I think the concern with crowdfunding pages is they don't have a firm way to prove where the ££ will go. In this case the benefactor does seem to be linked NOW.

I'm certain hospital porters are not well paid and even their NHS pension isn't going to be that amazing, IF they have 40 years of service.

Of course, if they were actually an entrepreneur and crossed some people they could also have been working as a porter to make ends meet for the last few months.

I'm not saying any of this is the case. Just saying it's not impossible he doesn't have friends everywhere... Even if he does in the boating world.

I think you are throwing a large amount of implied mud there.

Let's start with "I think the concern..." . So instead of personalising it with "my concern" you are generalising it to make it an accepted given. Not wanting to look like throwing mud yourself whilst shovelling it on.

You have also googled the name added 2 apples to 3 oranges and come up with 6 bananas to throw some more mud.

Then you've done the same trick around transference of origin of thought by glibly mentioning TV dramas as the cause of your suspicions.

doug748

Visit site
I think the concern with crowdfunding pages is they don't have a firm way to prove where the ££ will go. In this case the benefactor does seem to be linked.

I have shortcut the system and sent a cheque via his yacht club which is more personal and satisfactory for me.

It must be said that his boat appeared to be in outstanding condition, not easy to find in that sort of nick:

1706439192794.png

B27

Visit site

It's almost as if you've looked up his history as a directory of a company which folded leaving debts behind....