Arson attack in Grimsby

fredrussell

Visit site
It’s heart breaking really and I think perhaps only a boat owner could understand the vast amount of hours and effort put into making a boat ‘yours’. I put some money in the pot, poor sod.

Mark-1

Visit site
Roberts insurance isn't covering this.

I wonder why the insurance won't cover it? Seems to be to be exactly what insurance is for.

Doesn't look the sort of boat you'd go third party only on.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Was going to say that looks like a Rival looking at the bulkhead shape then saw the picture below!

Horrible situation.

Indeed a horrible situation. Yes, it is Rival 34, might be a 32, I can't tell the difference between them. The boat could easily have burned to the ground as likely the GRP resins are flammable. It might be salvageable if the GRP has not been damaged by heat and flames, but at what cost? Materials alone would be high cost, never mind any associated labour.

It looks like a write off to me, cut ones losses, salvage any recoverable item and sell on, but even then there is limited market for old designs and equipment. Perhaps one of the boat breaking companies would take it as is.

A lot of emotion tied up in such a decision to scrap. Very sad.

RupertW

Visit site
Roberts insurance isn't covering this.

I wonder why the insurance won't cover it? Seems to be to be exactly what insurance is for.

Doesn't look the sort of boat you'd go third party only on.
The article says he did go only for third party but thought that included fire and theft. It‘s too late for him as he won’t be able to spend his life savings twice but a healthy reminder to the rest of us that third party is only any use if we can happily afford to start again. I’m alos not quite sure how he knows it’s arson, but I might have missed that bit.

johnalison

Visit site
The article says he did go only for third party but thought that included fire and theft. It‘s too late for him as he won’t be able to spend his life savings twice but a healthy reminder to the rest of us that third party is only any use if we can happily afford to start again. I’m alos not quite sure how he knows it’s arson, but I might have missed that bit.
'Third party, fire and theft' is/was a common mode of car insurance, so I can see how he might have got the idea from that he was covered, but I'm afraid it was a bit naive to assume so. However, I hope that he and his mates can get him on the water again.

mainsail1

Visit site
Looking at the seat of the fire I am not so sure this is arson but I don't have all the facts. I wonder if he had any Acetone onboard? Rags contaminated with Acetone can easily self ignite and have caused fires on boats in the past.

Mark-1

Visit site
Looking at the seat of the fire I am not so sure this is arson but I don't have all the facts. I wonder if he had any Acetone onboard? Rags contaminated with Acetone can easily self ignite and have caused fires on boats in the past.

Arson is a stretch. According to the gofundme explanation most likely a homeless person broke in to sleep on board and accidentally caused the fire. Still completely unacceptable, but not arson.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Indeed a horrible situation. Yes, it is Rival 34, might be a 32, I can't tell the difference between them. The boat could easily have burned to the ground as likely the GRP resins are flammable. It might be salvageable if the GRP has not been damaged by heat and flames, but at what cost? Materials alone would be high cost, never mind any associated labour.

It looks like a write off to me, cut ones losses, salvage any recoverable item and sell on, but even then there is limited market for old designs and equipment. Perhaps one of the boat breaking companies would take it as is.

A lot of emotion tied up in such a decision to scrap. Very sad.
R34

kacecar

Visit site
The owner has posted about this on YouTube (sorry, don't know how to include a useful link). Apparently the boat was broken into through the front hatch, and subsequently was discovered on fire but the reason for the fire is not known, deliberate or accidental, is not clear - it seems images of the intruder were recorded by a security camera somewhere.

Mark-1

Visit site
Some pretty good videos of the boat underway as well. Clearly not just a dreamer using it as a houseboat.

Sandydog2

Visit site
There is CCTV of someone climbing the marina fence 30 minutes before the fire then leaving shortly after.

That seems a very short time for a rough sleeper seeking shelter to accidentally start a fire.

The gofundme doesn't say its being run by his yacht club. How do you check that any particular GofundMe is legitimate ? I am always rather cautious. I tried Google but that raised more questions than it answered.

Mark-1

Visit site
There is CCTV of someone climbing the marina fence 30 minutes before the fire then leaving shortly after.

That seems a very short time for a rough sleeper seeking shelter to accidentally start a fire.

The gofundme doesn't say its being run by his yacht club. How do you check that any particular GofundMe is legitimate ? I am always rather cautious. I tried Google but that raised more questions than it answered.

I have no idea how to check the gofundme but the incident itself seems beyond doubt. His boat *has* been burned somehow. Rough sleeper is just a theory.

If I was looking for a scam I'd say it was the "lack of insurance" aspect which seems slightly implausible for a tidy 34ft boat in regular use. (Unless he couldn't get a satisfactory survey?)

Personally I think all is exactly as it seems. Somehow he's had a fire on his boat and for some reason he's not insured.

Sandydog2

Visit site
I have no idea how to check the gofundme but the incident itself seems beyond doubt. His boat *has* been burned somehow. Rough sleeper is just a theory.

If I was looking for a scam I'd say it was the "lack of insurance" aspect which seems slightly implausible for a tidy 34ft boat in regular use. (Unless he couldn't get a satisfactory survey?)

Personally I think all is exactly as it seems. Somehow he's had a fire on his boat and for some reason he's not insured.
I didn't doubt the yacht was burned. It's a great shame. I don't know what insurance companies do for suspected arson cases but would have thought that even with full insurance they wouldn't pay out until the investigation was completed. I thought it was the fire brigade who suspected arson due to the CCTV and the forced forepeak hatch.

penberth3

Visit site

That's good advice, scammers can jump in with fake accounts. It's best to wait a bit before you contribute.

prestomg27

Visit site

He was insured, just for 3rd party risks as i understand it.

My mgc27 is only insured 3rd party. The value isnt that high and there are far less restrictions on use with 3rd party insurance. It covers you if you hit something expensive. Just off to chip into his gofundme.