Apologies for yet another anchor one.

prestomg27

Visit site
I am looking to replace my grotto old unbranded plough anchor and chain on my fairly light mg 27.

Mostly anchor on the east coast in mud and often on my own with no windlass. So lightness would be jolly helpful. Given the advances in technology and holding, would a 6kg rocna be too small or ok for mainly mud use. Looking at the rocna chart on jimmygreeen's site it looks marginal but i wanted views from people who have changed from old to modern anchors.

Thanks and sorry to post another anchor question.

Neeves

Visit site
Never apologise for starting any thread on YBW - the forum is here to ask questions and have sensible answers.

Maybe give us, or me at least, a little bit more information

Why do you anchor?, have lunch or stop overnight.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Lots of used Deltas for sale at good prices.
You will get a lot of replies and recommendations.

Delta is a good option as if you can find one, eBay, of 6kg it should be cheap and your investment will not challenge your wallet. Once you have tried the Delta you can then return to the forum with your experiences and enjoy updated suggestions. You could buy a new Delta, but it will cost much more than one off eBay, and it will perform similarly to a second hand one

An advantage of Delta (a convex anchor), and anchors of similar design - they do not collect mud so enthusiastically (so they are lighter to retrieve and don't need so much time to be cleaned (and neither will you or the deck). :)

No need for 7mm chain, 6mm will be perfectly adequate.

Jonathan

simonfraser

Visit site
Thanks.

On the delta chart it sughests 6kg delta would be ok. I think i will get new 7mm chain as well.
i have a knox - excellent - on the muddy east coast
holds v well, messy at times
7m chain, rest nylon
size, depends on when you anchor, if weather / wind light all no problem
but what if you are caught in a blow, my knox is one size too big, i sleep soundly at night at anchor

Boathook

Visit site
Many years ago I had to buy a delta quickly as I bent my danforth whilst on holiday. I followed the sizing guides and the thing was useless in mud. Now have a rocna and followed the sizing guide for it. No problems so far in mud, sand, etc
The delta is retained as a kedge.

dunedin

Visit site
Many years ago I had to buy a delta quickly as I bent my danforth whilst on holiday. I followed the sizing guides and the thing was useless in mud. Now have a rocna and followed the sizing guide for it. No problems so far in mud, sand, etc
The delta is retained as a kedge.
Ditto. We changed boat and the new boat came with a Delta, but it often took a long time to get it set. Binned it and swapped to Rocna and noticed immediate improvement in setting. Used a few hundred times since replacement.

morgandlm

Visit site
For what it's worth, I sail on the East coast in a Sadler 26, do a lot of overnight anchoring in mud and have a 7kg CQR with 15m of 6mm chain and 20 m of octoplait. I am generally anchoring in 7 or 8m max at HW and so far have never had a problem. That's really tempting fate! I also have a Fortress that lives in the cockpit locker which I occasionally use for short stops and that is astonishingly easy to handle and also has worked well.
David Morgan

simonfraser

Visit site
may not be practical, but a 100m going backwards with a few meters of rode still in the water gets nearly all of the mud off
and sets the anchor the correct way round to get back onto the rollers

Bobc

Visit site
I know someone with an un-used Fortress with 10m chain and 50m rope if you're interested.

Neeves

Visit site
An FX16 is a bit big but not unmamageable. You need 2 anchors - if its cheap go for it, or be patient as they, apparently come up for sale second hand quite frequently (and commonly little used). As mentioned they cannot be beaten in mud. If the mud is soupy - Fortress is the only one you can rely on.

The comments slowly filtering through that Rocna, Manson Supreme and to a lessor extent Spade and Vulcan carry mud is honesty rising, like cream, to the top. Ignore the comments at your cost, time spent cleaning chain and anchor. You can leave the anchor hanging off the bow roller to clean as you motor away slowly but its better to have a clean anchor from the outset.

Consider a Anchor Right Excel. Sold by Jimmy Green It comes as a steel or aluminium version (and aluminium is as good as the steel) but the price of the aluminium version might scare you.

Jonathan