Anyone with a Colvic UFO 31?

phil28

Visit site
Hey!
We are taking our UFO 31 through the french canals later this year and I'm looking to see if anyone could help me out. Our boat is located quite a distance from us and I'm not going to get up to visit her for a few months. We are going to be de masting and carrying it with us along the canals. Does anyone have a UFO 31 and could potentially have these measurements for me to make a cradle for the Mast?

Number 1: right on the bow
Number 2: Top of the coach roof inline with the mast
Number 3: On top of the seats inline with the Tiller Pivot Point.

Colvic UFO 31 Dimensions.jpg

I'm trying to get to a height just above the level of the boom.

If anyone could help it would be the best :D

DanTribe

Visit site
Not sure what measurements you need.
Lengths, heights or beam x height to form triangular cradles.
I have 1/2" to foot drawing and will be going to the boat later today, so could take some measurements.
Scaling from the drawing, the heights to gooseneck are [Approx] station 1 = 3 feet, station 2 =2feet, Station 3 is a bit of a guess as the drawing not clear, but approx 4 feet.
How accurate do you need these dims?
You will have to do your own metric conversions.
Dan

DanTribe

Visit site
Excellent choice of boat, of course, but how certain are you that the she will float in the French canals?
I have considered taking my UFO 31, but thought that the draught needed is marginal.

phil28

Visit site
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm after the heights, I can work out the triangular cradles afterwards.
Number one (From the bow to inline wiht the Gooseneck)
Number two (from the coachroof to the goosneck)
Number three (I will sit the cradle either side of the tiller) (from the seat where the tiller pivots to inline with the gooseneck)

Well I have looked very thoroughly and it is going to be pretty close in some parts. But if you arent ploughing are you really trying hard enough??

I'll keep you posted on how It go ;)

DanTribe

Visit site
My mast is down, but as near as I can measure, the dims are:
1/ 900mm
2/ 600mm
3/ 1300mm
Nr 2 is pretty accurate, measured on the mast from deck collar to centreline of gooseneck pin. The others I've measured from a strongback, but seem to tie in with the scale drawing.
Good luck with your adventure. I shall be following with interest.

Seajet

Visit site
As mentioned the water depth is a bit marginal, but I think you should be OK - maybe with the odd enforced wait for canal works.

Do keep the mast on deck as low as you possibly can, I worked on a hotel barge in Burgundy which had been specifically designed with a low superstructure for going through tunnels, but the flexible VHF aerial regularly bent and scraped under some bridges, as would I if I'd been standing up ! :)

Last edited:

Quandary

Visit site
In the well established forum tradition of answering a different question from that asked, would it not be as handy to buy a handsaw for a couple of Euros and knock it up when you get there?

lpdsn

Visit site
In the well established forum tradition of answering a different question from that asked, would it not be as handy to buy a handsaw for a couple of Euros and knock it up when you get there?

That's also in the well-established tradition of posting on a revived thread without checking the original date. Two for the price of one. :)