anyone got a small lathe?

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk
anyone fancy making me up a small ish part for some beer tokens?
havent measured it up but would be a 40mm diameter ish boss with a 10mm hole through, 40mm long, and turned down to a "pipe" fitting size on one end....in mild steel would be fine...

would be most appreciated and happy to paypal some cash over to a helpful PBO person...

Last edited:

fergie_mac66

Visit site
anyone fancy making me up a small ish part for some beer tokens?
havent measured it up but would be a 40mm diameter ish boss with a 10mm hole through, 40mm long, and turned down to a "pipe" fitting size on one end....in mild steel would be fine...

would be most appreciated and happy to paypal some cash over to a helpful PBO person...

is that wood or metal lathe

penfold

Visit site
How thick is the flange? Does it have to be out of solid; I have scrap to fabricate/weld that, but not turn from solid(plus it would be a ballache making all that into swarf).

Avocet

Visit site
I agree - lot of waste on that if machined from solid. It's not that mild steel is expensive, it's just the machining time to (in esscence) make a fair bit of scrap!

Anyway, I have a lathe, so PM me if you're not already sorted.

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk
guys come along....hardly a lot of turning now is it (unless on a watch makers lathe!)

seriously thanks for the offers, the fabricated item would be bent, needs machining really as all needs to be true....(well the back flange does need to be)

I have come up with a plan to make up something out of copper plumbing fittings (and come copper plate) and solder it together, will come back an PM you if i get stuck, cheers!

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Just looking at it the fittings used in kitchens to hold the ends of support legs for eg a breakfast bar would make a basis for the flange section. What is it for? With my used to be model engineer's hat on its the sort of part I'd expect to machine from a casting or fabricate from a sawn blank for the large diameter flange part and turn up the spigot part as a seperate job fisxed to the flange in whatever manner seemed suitable.

Mild steel does not sound expecially boaty as a material:)

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk
Just looking at it the fittings used in kitchens to hold the ends of support legs for eg a breakfast bar would make a basis for the flange section. What is it for? With my used to be model engineer's hat on its the sort of part I'd expect to machine from a casting or fabricate from a sawn blank for the large diameter flange part and turn up the spigot part as a seperate job fisxed to the flange in whatever manner seemed suitable.

Mild steel does not sound expecially boaty as a material:)

eh? a casting for 1 piece? dont think so....all this talk of fabricating, then machining, i use to run a machine shop with my dad, trust me for a 1off, for what i want turning that out of a blank would the the easiest (assuming you had a decent lathe) would only take 10mins...no way you could get a casting or fabricate 2 bits, weld and machine after in that time....did it for a living for 10years....

Anyway, thanks for the interest, the project it a 12v micro generator based on a Honda GX25, 25cc 4 stroke (1hp) running a lightweight (motorsport) alternator (40amps)
Whole thing is about 7kg....will post up the details when its running, almost done!

It is currently air cooled and noisy ish....all down to the exhaust...

I am experimenting with a water cooled system with an exhaust elbow so i can put it in a box and make it super silent...but as i said in earlier post, first efforts will come from some copper plumbing kit...

penfold

Visit site
guys come along....hardly a lot of turning now is it (unless on a watch makers lathe!)

seriously thanks for the offers, the fabricated item would be bent, needs machining really as all needs to be true....(well the back flange does need to be)

I wasn't proposing that, I simply don't have any steel 40mm in diameter. I would turn up the 14mm bar, then weld on a roughly circular piece of 1/2" plate and turn it square. Final op would be boring the hole.

Editted to added; seeing the above it sounds interesting. Do keep us informed! My lathe is a Viceroy 5x24; not a watchmakers' but not really the tool for making blue swarf with either.

Last edited:

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
I appreciate that a casting for a one off is hardly viable:) Having said that, I had in mind adapting something from another purpose, the drawing is very reminiscent of boiler flange fittings used by big steam trains and there is a thriving cottage industry in those, indeed some of the bigger railways have limited casting facilities.

I appreciate your experience, but tha 10 mins is on a big lathe with plenty of stock to hand and hang the value of the swarf! I was under the impression you were looking for what could be knocked up from stuff found about the home workshop/garage and bunged in the ML7, indeed I expect even a little Unimat would make the thing with a little time to think it through and wise choice of stock sizes.

Interested in the project, do keep us posted n it.