Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

macd

Visit site
Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

1. I am unaware of any 3rd world yottie being refused registration; especially as it is a legal requirement (often ignored by EU citizens).

2. Possible this could change if Trump decided to settle in Portugal!

1. I suspect you meant "third country"; "3rd world" is rather different.
Portugal does seem conspicuously accepting of third country nationals. Several other EU countries also are, but often on the basis of work or investment. (In some cases buying a property counts for the latter.)

2. Trump doesn't settle. He unsettles. Big time.

Visit site
Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

The terms may not change as far as the Portuguese are concerned but remember, you have been granted residence whilst a Citizen of the EU. Whether UK citizens will still be able to obtain residence as easily when no longer citizens, we will have to wait and see.

There are plenty who gained residence before Portugal entered the EU.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

There are plenty who gained residence before Portugal entered the EU.

Yes but most who applied in those days were people who had bought property there. Many of those who are applying for temporary residence now do not fit into that bracket and are fortunate the authorities are accepting marina or camper van parks as an address. The criteria for non EU citizens may be stricter in that the authorities may require a more permanent commitment. However, watching the Commons live at the moment, I suspect it will be a long time before any of us know where the goal post will be set:confused:

Visit site

Yes but most who applied in those days were people who had bought property there. Many of those who are applying for temporary residence now do not fit into that bracket and are fortunate the authorities are accepting marina or camper van parks as an address. The criteria for non EU citizens may be stricter in that the authorities may require a more permanent commitment. However, watching the Commons live at the moment, I suspect it will be a long time before any of us know where the goal post will be set:confused:

I have no way of knowing how many had property- I did not. The main difficulty was having to register at a Portuguese consulate (i.e. outside Portugal). I never understood why but I went to Huelva on the pillion of a friends motorbike ( I didn't own a car, only a motorcaravan.

nortada

Visit site

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...ormalities/registering-residence/index_en.htm

Having now read the above document, it doesn’t appear to have much in common with reality in Portugal.

Not really that surprising as registration is administered at local council level and even within The Algarve thare are marked differences in what is required.

The over riding sentiment that Portugal wishes to continue with the special relationship between the 2 countries, which has existed since the signing of The Treaty of Windsor (1386) - Grandfather rights and a bit!

Last edited:

Visit site

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...ormalities/registering-residence/index_en.htm

Having now read the above document, it doesn’t appear to have much in common with reality in Portugal.

Not really that surprising as registration is administered at local council level and even within The Algarve thare are marked differences in what is required.

The over riding sentiment that Portugal wishes to continue with the special relationship between the 2 countries, which has existed since the signing of The Treaty of Windsor (1386) - Grandfather rights and a bit!

Actually since the Anglo/ Portuguese treaty of 1373 which was reinforced by the Treraty of Windsor and numerous times since, perhaps most notably in 1943 when Churchill made an impassioned speach informing the Commons that Portugal had come down off the fence and granted the Allies the use of the Açores.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site

Actually since the Anglo/ Portuguese treaty of 1373 which was reinforced by the Treraty of Windsor and numerous times since, perhaps most notably in 1943 when Churchill made an impassioned speach informing the Commons that Portugal had come down off the fence and granted the Allies the use of the Açores.

In Lagos there is a WW1 memorial to the Portuguese who fell fighting in Flanders - not their war!

The Portuguese never forget that Wellington threw the French (and Spanish) out during the Penninsular Wars.

As an aside, Wellington left his largely Irish army in Portugal - wonder if that is one reason there are so many Portuguese red heads?:rolleyes:

As you say, numerous occasions, when the countries came to each others aid.:encouragement:

macd

Visit site

Has someone already posted about this interesting document?
https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/file_import/travelling_en.pdf

It's been linked to a few times on other threads (and maybe even this one) and caused a flurry of newspaper articles when released. But no harm mentioning it again. Some of will be a little out of date (it's the better part of six months old), particularly in respect of countries which have made special provisions for UK national residents in the case of no-deal.

BigJoe

Visit site

Just to be clear, regarding Spanish residency.

Prior to applying for residency, you need to register on the Padron, (voting register) for that that you need a Spanish address, and yes, our marina provided the correct paperwork.
Then you apply for residency with several thousand in a Spanish bank account along with Spanish health care.

Simples

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Then you apply for residency with several thousand in a Spanish bank account along with Spanish health care. Simples

As a matter of interest, do new residents pay into the State health care system or have to take out private cover? What kind of cost for a couple of pensioners? Fortunately, we get free health cover in Portugal.

nortada

Visit site

Just to be clear, regarding Spanish residency.

Prior to applying for residency, you need to register on the Padron, (voting register) for that that you need a Spanish address, and yes, our marina provided the correct paperwork.
Then you apply for residency with several thousand in a Spanish bank account along with Spanish health care.

Simples

Daughter and family, who own a holiday property in Ayamonte, intend to register for residency next week, I will report back on progress and problems (if any) encountered.

As an aside, I believe, as immediate family, should they wish it, they could register for temporary residency in Portugal.

However, as working folk, they can only dream of spending 90 days in Iberia so Schengen will not become an issue, therefore, I am not too sure why they would bother to register in either country.

Belt, braces and a bit of string and all of that?

Last edited:

BigJoe

Visit site

As a matter of interest, do new residents pay into the State health care system or have to take out private cover? What kind of cost for a couple of pensioners? Fortunately, we get free health cover in Portugal.

Spanish health care is now mandatory, (prior to the Brexit vote it wasn’t) and costs us 150 a month and were both 50 something.

nortada

Visit site

Spanish health care is now mandatory, (prior to the Brexit vote it wasn’t) and costs us 150 a month and were both 50 something.

So it is mandatory just for Brits or everybody and is a direct response to that referendum (to date Brexit has yet to happen and the future outcome is very still uncertain)?

If so, this is really going to piss off the other EU nationalities and make a strong case for preferring Portugal.

BigJoe

Visit site

So it is mandatory just for Brits or everybody and is a direct response to that referendum (to date Brexit has yet to happen and the future outcome is very still uncertain)?

If so, this is really going to piss off the other EU nationalities and make a strong case for preferring Portugal.

Probably not just for brits, however, it came about at the same time.

nortada

Visit site

Probably not just for Brits, however, it came about at the same time.

Fortunately, courtesy of work, my folk all have world-wide private health insurance so should be able to avoid this new tax.

As in most other EU countries, I expect pensioners get free health cover.

One A.

Visit site

After a year as a resident on the padron you can pay into and use Spanish helth service, depending on age this may work out cheaper than private.

BigJoe

Visit site

After a year as a resident on the padron you can pay into and use Spanish helth service, depending on age this may work out cheaper than private.

We have had a look at that and as far as I can see, is its more or less the same price, and not as good as the private we have, however it might need further scrutiny.

jordanbasset

Visit site

As in most other EU countries, I expect pensioners get free health cover.

Do they give free health cover to all pensioners, including those who have recently moved to a EU country from countries not in the EU, seems unlikely to me but very generous if they do

Last edited: