Anyone Considered

ossiealf

Visit site
1. That engine manufacters have not done nearly enough to lower fuel consumption .
2. Magazine tests tend to always go for the larger engine option-and seem to be concerned about speed not fuel use .
3. Petrol Boats pay full price- and many O/B engines are made to use less fuel for more power and less emisiions too.
4.I Read one article where the person was complaining about the cost maybe oubling yet he used only 25 litres of diesel a season! Hardly a huge extra cost.
5. An advantage- perhpas w shall not have boats flying around the Solent making huge waves and burning huge amounts per hour. Slow down, take the world around you
in and enjoy the surrounding scenery for once-that is my advice for diesel powered boat owners.

Whitelighter

Visit site
I have considered it. And of course you make valid points.

What really urks me though is this is done in the name of fairness and levelling the price across europe. Except it doesn't. Because we maintain our roads (not mention chav single teenage mothers) from fuel duty, the UK government will ingnor the fact that all the EU demand is a minimum amount of duty (and additonal £0.20/litre).

Instead, we will have to pay at least £.54/litre more to maintain the roads (and chav single teenage mothers) that we don't use. And hey presto, rather than leveling the price with the rest of Europe we actually end up paying 30% more.

If the duty went up by the required £0.20/litre, I wouldn't have an issue with that.

DAKA

Visit site
Good points but in the real world

The extra cost of diesel is expected to cause some selfish stinkers the excuse not to slow down as they pass smaller boats as it will cost £10 to get back on the plane.

wash could get worse not better

More powerful engines are not always less economic as smaller ones have to work harder.

For offshore use spare power is essential

Havent you seen 'The Perfect storm' when the Shrimper cant make it to the top of the wave........now thats the real world /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Tax is money gievn to/taken by the State, in return for which you are sipposed to get a service. I don't see a sudden increase of service on the horizon, do you?

As for paying for global warming or what have you, please obtain some form of life, its a tax grab. Anyone who says otherwise is a prune of the highest order. Gordon could have done as the French would and ignored it or used the veto, or gone for a bare minimum while encouraging the use of biofuels by granting a very low tax regime.

Frontier

Visit site
The UK Government said they were minded to retain red diesel, so it obvious they will only apply the minimum tax wont they.

Wont they?? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sneds

Visit site
Bl00dy diabolical if you ask me. How the hell can Europe dictate what our elected government can do?
Seems to me that people think anyone with a boat is loaded, in my experience the opposite is true as all the cash gets spent on the thing!
Would never give it up though!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif