Any info on tuna fishing in the med

foxgoose

Visit site
I took some local blokes out around Malta for tuna im May.

They used long lines with different lengths from each quarter and about 3 - 4 inch artificial squid type lures.

We trolled at 5 or 6 knots and caught sweet FA all day so I guess this input may be of limited validity.

Somebody suggested later that 5/6 knots may be OK for shaft drives but too fast for outdrives and duoprops which create a lot more turbulence.

I pass it on for what it's worth and would be interested in anybody else's ideas 'cos we're going back next week and I might have another go.

tcm

Visit site
some people in barcelona went out and caught some massive ones, only went out for three hours so spose it ust be 20 miles out from barca. I can tell you that the ideal speed isn't 25 knots.

Nat

Visit site
Hi Sami.
Best time for Tuna is Sep - Oct you need to be in deep water trail the lures about 100 metres behind you at no more than 5nts. there is a deep trench runs along the south coast of Spain this is where the big boys lurk. Just as dawn is breaking is the best time. Unfortunatly where you are the trench is about 40nm off shore. as for me its only about 10nm just off Cabo de Palos. You will start to catch decent Dorado about now. Get into about 80 metres of water let your tender out on a long painter 30mtrs or so & just drift. before long the Dorado will be underneath the tender & the boat if you are quiet. You can catch them using lures. freelining. or on the drop. but they soon get wise. so you have to vary tecniques. Im motoring to Ibiza Monday so will be checking out the fishing in the Balearics.....Nat

EME

www.lumishore.com
Loads of tuna fishing throughout The Med. There is quite a lot of private stuff done out of the Cd'Azur ports - with La Napoule being the centre and has its own annual competition. Always go out with a pro charter who knows the area first ( and use your own handheld to record his preferred positions). The best fishing grounds however are off the west coast of Corsica ( and Sardinia) I understand - not the most hospitable waters in the Med. Best times are July - September with the schools getting closer inshore in September - October ( but that is relative)

Trolling ( the only viable method ) is best performed around 6 ish knots in the Med , which makes it a major pain for most modern cruisers ( so others have told me) and most boats are Us style sport fishers . Lures are standard fare so what you have used in Indian Ocean/Carib etc...

Method ? - Chase the birds , who are chasing the small bait fish who are being chased by the tuna - which probably make us humans the dumbest in the food chain given the amount of money we throw at it