Antsiranana Bay - Madagascar

LePacha

Visit site
Hi folks,

Long shot here, but I have been writing a fiction (no, not my posts in the Brexit section of the forum :) ) for quite some time now, and I am reaching the end of my story. This is loosely based on Libertalia, and I wanted to get some extra information on the bay of Diego Suarez. I am not going to buy an admirality map for this, but if any of you have one, a pilot guide, or some experience of the bay, I could be interested in basic informations like main depths, any sand banks or natural hazards, main winds dominating the area as well as force... Anything really that could help me brushing something as close as possible to the reality.

Thanking you all in advance!

LePacha

Visit site
B.... H.... !

I have been trying to find such a map for weeks now, and couldn't find anything that detailed! Thank you so much, that is very helpful, and what I had in mind. I owe you one!

RobbieW

Visit site
To supplement the chart above, heres the area from OpenCPN. The climatology plugin suggests predominantly SE except in January/February when there's a bit of everything. Strength averages at 20kts in the SE'lys, 10-15 in Jan/Feb.
1613126683652.png

LePacha

Visit site
This is just great. I didn't expect that level of information and almost immediately. Thank you very much guys; Really appreciated.

LePacha

Visit site
Yep saw that, and there is a conversion scale on the bottom left. The notes on the right seem to indicate that all heights are in feet, and they provide also the tides... So I think I am all good to provide a description with some google satellite images and normal pictures from tourists. I still don't get how I missed it despite hours searching for such a doc. You guys rock.

Gwylan

Visit site
Hi folks,

Long shot here, but I have been writing a fiction (no, not my posts in the Brexit section of the forum :) ) for quite some time now, and I am reaching the end of my story. This is loosely based on Libertalia, and I wanted to get some extra information on the bay of Diego Suarez. I am not going to buy an admirality map for this, but if any of you have one, a pilot guide, or some experience of the bay, I could be interested in basic informations like main depths, any sand banks or natural hazards, main winds dominating the area as well as force... Anything really that could help me brushing something as close as possible to the reality.

Thanking you all in advance!

Been there, done that, got the tan.

Bloody wild west was peaceful in comparison. No Internet because somebody nicked the copper wire. That was the gentler side of my stay.
The poverty defies anything I have ever seen. Includes very old ladies in the Moscow Metro selling individual lemons. Suppose it went with the bottles of mysterious liquid shifty red eyed chaps were also offering.

Anyway the water taxi is amusing. The toilet habits of the locals not so nice.
Trouble is you run out of superlatives.
The corruption beats the Latin Americans and is beyond my comprehension..

Stayed at Cinque Trop Pres. That was, by local standards, very good.

Mer Emmeraude is an unheard of blue and idyllic on a good day. Let's says the boats are not coded, as we might recognise the word. Even worse than the fishermen off Cape Coast in Ghana. On a par with the crabbing boats out of Karachi.

Good luck