Antares 760 Electrics

spray

Visit site
Hi, I’m just about to launch my 760 . The handover information was minimal and I was told the black switch was to parallel all three batteries, it would seem to be the negative supply. To save me a lot of time, can someone please enlighten me on this main battery switch panel?

Plum

Visit site
It really depends on what changes have been made by previous owners and what was originally fitted as over the years of production Beneteau made changes to the battery switching but in most 760s I have seen there is an originally fitted black "T" handle isolator that isolates all the battery negatives. What positive isolator/isolators have you got (do you have a 1,2,b,off switch?)

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
Hi, I’m just about to launch my 760 . The handover information was minimal and I was told the black switch was to parallel all three batteries, it would seem to be the negative supply. To save me a lot of time, can someone please enlighten me on this main battery switch panel?
It really depends on what changes have been made by previous owners and what was originally fitted as over the years of production Beneteau made changes to the battery switching but in most 760s I have seen there is an originally fitted black "T" handle isolator that isolates all the battery negatives. What positive isolator/isolators have you got (do you have a 1,2,b,off switch?)

Here is an original Beneteau Antares 760 wiring diagram dated 2004
Screenshot_20240707-183306.png

spray

Visit site
Thanks Plum. I thought the black switch was the negative isolater, the broker insisted it wasn’t. All the isolaters are as shown in the photo. I have 3 batteries, one windlass and a bow thruster. I think the fit is original from new in 2006. I don’t understand what the 1,2,b, off switch is.

spray

Visit site
Thanks Plum. I thought the black switch was the negative isolater, the broker insisted it wasn’t. All the isolaters are as shown in the photo. I have 3 batteries, one windlass and a bow thruster. I think the fit is original from new in 2006. I don’t understand what the 1,2,b, off switch is.
Sorry did you mean a 1,2 and both switch? I don’t think so, just 3 positive isolaters, one for each battery.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Easy to check the switch purpose, turn the engine switch on and the domestic and black switches off. If nothing works it's a negative isolator (as original), if the domestics come on it's been changed to a parallel switch.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
Sorry did you mean a 1,2 and both switch? I don’t think so, just 3 positive isolaters, one for each battery.
Yes, so you may have what is in the diagram I posted above plus one extra battery. What Paul said to trace what each +ve one does. Having an isolator on the -ve is a French thing but I find it useful as, in my case, I use it as the one switch to isolate everything when I leave the boat (I know that nothing has been subsequently added between that isolator and the negatives)

spray

Visit site
Thank you both, all is clear now, I have never come across a negative isolater in a boat but as you say it’s very useful. Many thanks for the diagram

simonfraser

Visit site
Thank you both, all is clear now, I have never come across a negative isolater in a boat but as you say it’s very useful. Many thanks for the diagram
typical of french boats, merry fishers same setup, reasons why (not needed) has been discussed on here b4, search for it if interested

spray

Visit site
Another question if I may, I am told that the bow thruster only works when the engine is running, is this another French thing? This wasn’t the case on my previous boats and I can’t confirm on my Antares until she is back in the water this week. I have all the battery switches on, I cannot find any other c/b or switch and I have tried the B/T with the engine switch on but no response from the B/T.
Comments please.

Tranona

Visit site
Quite common, although usually when the thruster comes from the engine battery rather than its own. There will be a relay that allows the thruster and windlass to work when the engine is running and the alternator is charging. Not really necessary with a dedicated front battery.

spray

Visit site
Thank you both, yes I agree with the engine running it makes sense but my windlass works without the engine which I would have thought needed more amp/hours than a quick blip on the BT. Either way, I don’t think there is a way of checking the function of the bow thruster out of the water which I think is important.

Plum

Visit site
Another question if I may, I am told that the bow thruster only works when the engine is running, is this another French thing? This wasn’t the case on my previous boats and I can’t confirm on my Antares until she is back in the water this week. I have all the battery switches on, I cannot find any other c/b or switch and I have tried the B/T with the engine switch on but no response from the B/T.
Comments please.
My thruster (a Volvo Penta QL) works when the engine is not running and it was fitted for the first owner. The anchor winch originally only operated when the engine was running but the culprit relay on the back of the alternator was disconnected by a previous owner, thank goodness.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Quite common, although usually when the thruster comes from the engine battery rather than its own. There will be a relay that allows the thruster and windlass to work when the engine is running and the alternator is charging. Not really necessary with a dedicated front battery.
The French still usually install it all so you need the engine running, even with dedicated batteries at the bow.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Your engine has cut out and you are drifting towards some rocks/into a shipping lane etc etc so you want to drop the anchor............
Paul

You mentioned this French thing in another recent post. You've prompted me again to go and look at my wiring to bypass this "charter proofing" option since we have a Quick remote at the helm so a quick drop would be a good option for engine failure in the Hamble etc.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Paul

You mentioned this French thing in another recent post. You've prompted me again to go and look at my wiring to bypass this "charter proofing" option since we have a Quick remote at the helm so a quick drop would be a good option for engine failure in the Hamble etc.
As far as i've seen, the "engine must be running" thing just adds a relay that must be closed to enable the switches, buttons, remotes etc. The relay is activated by the alternator, when the engine is started. If you wanted to be able to use the windlass without the engine running, replace the relay with a switch (disconnecting or isolating the wiring from the alternator) the switch would normally be off, to prevent accidentally activating the windlass, turn it on as part of pre-departure checks.