Another reason why Raggies might think Moboers are twats

superheat6k

Visit site
Osborne Bay lunchtime today we came off the plane approx 300 yards clear of the western end of the closest anchored boat, pootled gently into the western edge of the anchorage and dropped our pick in 3m of water about 200 yards from the shore, well astern of the nearest yachts and other Mobos, of which the nearest had the kids out swimming off the swim platform.

The sea surface was a bit ruffled from a ski boat zipping about, but he wasn't making too much wash. Otherwise a bit rolley from the volume of vessels going hither and dither.

Then at about 12.30 enter Motor Boat 'Play Hard' - a 30' ish catamaran mobo doing approx. 12 - 15 knots and presenting a marvellous 2-3' stern wave right through the heart of the anchorage, and right past the boats with swimmers out.

What a tw@t ?

Keeps the boat at Hamble Point apparently - we followed him back into the Hamble about 3.30. If any one on here knows him please say thanks.

If you are the skipper of Play Hard and are reading this then perhaps next time you approach an anchorage you look behind you at the chaos left in your wake, then perhaps those you are p1ssing off won't need to shout at you to slow down !

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Osborne Bay lunchtime today we came off the plane approx 300 yards clear of the western end of the closest anchored boat, pootled gently into the western edge of the anchorage and dropped our pick in 3m of water about 200 yards from the shore, well astern of the nearest yachts and other Mobos, of which the nearest had the kids out swimming off the swim platform.

The sea surface was a bit ruffled from a ski boat zipping about, but he wasn't making too much wash. Otherwise a bit rolley from the volume of vessels going hither and dither.

Then at about 12.30 enter Motor Boat 'Play Hard' - a 30' ish catamaran mobo doing approx. 12 - 15 knots and presenting a marvellous 2-3' stern wave right through the heart of the anchorage, and right past the boats with swimmers out.

What a tw@t ?

Keeps the boat at Hamble Point apparently - we followed him back into the Hamble about 3.30. If any one on here knows him please say thanks.

If you are the skipper of Play Hard and are reading this then perhaps next time you approach an anchorage you look behind you at the chaos left in your wake, then perhaps those you are p1ssing off won't need to shout at you to slow down !

I think this is the same one that left yarmouth last Sunday ,

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Mmm, a powercat. Not really a proper mobo, more a saily boat with a motor so not one of us;)

Bazzer

Visit site
Mmmmm i know exactly what you mean, i am thinking of having harpoon gun fitted to the front of my boat specially for idiots like this, I to can create a large wake but choose not to annoy every other boat on the water.

Floating Preferably

Visit site
Absolutely agree, it is this kind of total disregard for others that hacks p[eople off. In this instance The marina would confirm whether or not his boat is berthed there or not. I dont know which particular rule he is breaking, but surely it comes under where a skipper must navigate his vessel not in a manner to cause danger or distress to other people. I dont know whether Harbormaster or MCA would be the ones to take it up with. I would very delighted to see one of these selfish gits hit with a decent fine, like equivalent to a few tanks of fuel. . . . . . . Grrrrhhh

l'escargot

Visit site
I anchored in Osborne Bay last week and there were several of us swimming off the boat. I was amazed at the number of RIBs and smallish sports boats that drove amongst the anchored boats at speed, some even towing water skiers and donuts. One large mobo even dropped in their jet rib and took it in turns to go round and round their boat for half the afternoon.

SimbaDog

Visit site
As a raggie (ooh) I would like to say that the majority of mobo drivers are considerate, there are some mindless ***** in charge of all forms of transport on land & sea :eek:

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I anchored in Osborne Bay last week and there were several of us swimming off the boat. I was amazed at the number of RIBs and smallish sports boats that drove amongst the anchored boats at speed, some even towing water skiers and donuts. One large mobo even dropped in their jet rib and took it in turns to go round and round their boat for half the afternoon.
Its the Med disease. Out there they think you're mad if you ask anyone to slow down or take more care of swimmers

Anders_P42

Visit site
There were some plebs speeding through Osbourne bay on Saturday too, me and dad watching the F1 quali bottled soft drinks falling off the table. Sports cruisers and ribs seemed to be the worst offenders. I took some video, at least the Raymarine Sat TV keeps track during bad wash!

Someone should start a name and shame thread, if you see someone pulling in to an anchorage at speed get your camera phones out.

Anders

Bazzer

Visit site
There were some plebs speeding through Osbourne bay on Saturday too, me and dad watching the F1 quali bottled soft drinks falling off the table. Sports cruisers and ribs seemed to be the worst offenders. I took some video, at least the Raymarine Sat TV keeps track during bad wash!

Someone should start a name and shame thread, if you see someone pulling in to an anchorage at speed get your camera phones out.

Anders

Very good idea.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Mobos are always going to get the bad reputation here because we raggies can't go fast enough to cause problems. If we could I am sure things would balance out. I think the problem is that a percentage of people have no thought for others and limited intelligence. Given the means to P others off they will. Not much point in getting worked up about it. If people cause you distress best to go where people aren't. That or fix a cannon to the bow.

Floating Preferably

Visit site
To pmagowan, I disagree partly on your first comment, agree mostly sailing boats dont kick up similar wash, but not always, I have seen a 35ft yacht hard under power creating the same problem passing much too close to anchored craft. As for us giving in to this boorish behavoir, no way! Again in Osborne 6 weeks back a large Mobo, let his crew off to play on a jet ski, after being shouted at they stopped going through the anchored boats. I am with the name and shame brigade and refuse to have these ill mannered people spoil things.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Mobos are always going to get the bad reputation here because we raggies can't go fast enough to cause problems.
Mmm, raggies do other things in anchorages which wind me up such as motoring across your bow seemingly oblivious to the fact that their keel might snag your anchor chain. Or anchoring too close not understanding that mobos swing to the wind far more than raggies. Still, boating is supposed to be relaxing so best not to get wound up about little things that are sent to test you

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Mmm, raggies do other things in anchorages which wind me up such as motoring across your bow seemingly oblivious to the fact that their keel might snag your anchor chain. Or anchoring too close not understanding that mobos swing to the wind far more than raggies. Still, boating is supposed to be relaxing so best not to get wound up about little things that are sent to test you

Like I said, it is simply a percentage of people and if they have the means and the opportunity to annoy you then they will. For wakes it tends to be mobos (I agree raggies can although I dont think I can :)) for fliff flaffing it tends to be raggies. As long as they don't spill your G&T all you need do is take another sip and let it wash over you (the stress not the G&T). If they do spill your G&T then you should give them a full broadsides!

Floating Preferably

Visit site
'As long as they don't spill your G&T all you need do is take another sip and let it wash over you (the stress not the G&T). If they do spill your G&T then you should give them a full broadsides! '
Amen to that:encouragement:

superheat6k

Visit site
ERRM. In my thread i didn't mention the sheer number of boaties both raggies and mobos who seem happy to suddenly turn 90 degrees without looking around first. Raggies too often do this whilst tacking or simply turning into one of the Hamble Marinas and can cause considerable consternation to others trying their best to provide a reasonable clearance, but I observed at least five boats do this on a single trip up the Hamble, with the last, a mobo, doing his pirouette right off the entrance to my trot and then wondering why he found me about to cut him in half.

I try to cruise at minimum speed, but don't think it unreasonable that boats at least look around first - at least the you can agree by hand signal which side you will pass.

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
ERRM. In my thread i didn't mention the sheer number of boaties both raggies and mobos who seem happy to suddenly turn 90 degrees without looking around first. Raggies too often do this whilst tacking or simply turning into one of the Hamble Marinas and can cause considerable consternation to others trying their best to provide a reasonable clearance, but I observed at least five boats do this on a single trip up the Hamble, with the last, a mobo, doing his pirouette right off the entrance to my trot and then wondering why he found me about to cut him in half.

I try to cruise at minimum speed, but don't think it unreasonable that boats at least look around first - at least the you can agree by hand signal which side you will pass.

Let's not forget the 'driving on the left' brigade - it can't just be me that encounters them trundling down rivers and fairways... :D