Another new boat thread..

Robg71

Visit site
Hi all
Been a while since I was last here, after a few taxing years....

Anyway, I'm debating looking around for a new (to me) boat.
Probably another old Sunseeker, but I'm keeping my options open.
The last boat, I sold back end of last year. Mainly as my dad struggles to get on or off. The aft cabin was a struggle for me after a few gallons of rum in the 'Royal yacht', so was a distinct pain for my dad with arthritis. Also, the dinette fwd bed, I was fine... Aft cabin, but it's easier for a proper cabin.
So far, I'm in the old boat league, not as old as my last, but still old.
Mustique 42, fits the bill nicely.... Comes predominantly with Cat 3208 @ 430hp, some volvos, and a couple with big GM detroits at 550hp

Camargues....
44, nice size.... Has v drives gearboxes!! Still fetching good money
Camargue 46, another older boat. Aft cabin again. Detroits mainly it appears...
Camargue 47, new than above... Holding value far better than the 46. Cats, and Volvo around 440hp area.
I like the layout of the 47, also has storage for a dinghy and my diving crap and fishing gear...

Any other ideas you have, feel free to add them.
I have not really looked at flybridge boats... Didn't think I was old enough, but, I do like some of the princesses, not really looked at fairlines.

I was probably one of the few in the last marina who used boat year round... In most weather, sea state dependant... Best thing I ever bought was a boat....

Cheers
Rob

Mr Googler

Visit site
Has been a while rob. Hope the employment challenges all got sorted and another vote for an update on the steel build!

Imho the sunseeker you had was in their "wonder years". I would be looking at other brands for the age range you are now talking.

Mr Googler

Visit site
By the way, I'm 40 this year and have a flybridge. Not sure what that says about me but my wife says I'm cool........amongst other things!! :rolleyes::cool::cool:

Divemaster1

Visit site
Rob,

Can offer advise if you end up looking at something with DD's onboard... The 6V92's at 550 hp are great "little" engines, but being a bit highly strung for a DD against volume, there are some key items that should be considered "a must have/need to achieve"...

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
All Sunseekers 42 Mustique, 47 Camargue, 44 Camargue use the same hull (minor modifications here and there).
Hull was used again in 46 Portofino and 47 Portofino.

The 47 Camargue has the best CoG of the trio, followed by the 42 Mustique (the 1st version of the hull) and the 44 Camargue (not so good CoG).
This means that the 47 Camargue is the best of the trio.

Fairline 43 Targa is a great suggestion I think it offers very good performance and is more nimble then the above Sunseeker's and does not suffer CoG problems but it does tend to be a bit chine walker in following beamy seas. With good tuned Volvo 480s they do 35 knots plus here in the med.

Another suggestion would be a Princess V50 and considering the size of the 42 Mustique I would also look at a 406 Riviera.

Robg71

Visit site
Many thanks for the above
So how did they squeeze everything in from 42 to 47ft?? Was it similar to the 36/38/39... All done on the swim platform....

I'll be going and looking around the yards when I get home.
And looking at the farelines.

Detroits don't worry me. I certainly wouldn't refuse a boat because of it.

Steel hull updates will come soon enough. She is basically stacked while the oil industry soiled itself. I didn't/wouldn't put everything in to it to lose too easily. Needed a rainy day fund.
I'm back at the sharp end, (in the North Sea)after working most of last year in the med, and prior to that west Africa and Asia.
My mother died Christmas Eve, and my dad had enjoyed his breaks on the old squeaker in Jersey. Hi respite care... So we're looking for a replacement.... That's easier for him... One that maybe I don't have to do as much work on....

Last edited:

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Many thanks for the above
So how did they squeeze everything in from 42 to 47ft?? Was it similar to the 36/38/39... All done on the swim platform....

They just extended the hull from 42 Mustique to 47 Camargue plus bathing platform. The hull remained the same in the 44 Camargue but Sunseeker moved engine aft and used a V-drive type propulsion.
Result boat performed less expectations when launched in 1997. 2 knots less then predicted with Cats 420hp 6 cylinders for the 44 Camargue.
The hull is not a bad one though, and mostly due to displacement feels much solid then a 43 Targa for e.g.
Sunseeker 44 Camargue is two tons heavier to a 43 Targa and also consumes more fuel about 30% more fuel e.g. both with Volvo 480hp.
Which where the largest engines these boats could have. Sunseeker could have done with an extra 100hp that is why D9s 575hp on the 47 Portofino makes it run much better.

Last edited:

Robg71

Visit site
They just extended the hull from 42 Mustique to 47 Camargue plus bathing platform. The hull remained the same in the 44 Camargue but Sunseeker moved engine aft and used a V-drive type propulsion.
Result boat performed less expectations when launched in 1997. 2 knots less then predicted with Cats 420hp 6 cylinders for the 44 Camargue.
The hull is not a bad one though, and mostly due to displacement feels much solid then a 43 Targa for e.g.
Sunseeker 44 Camargue is two tons heavier to a 43 Targa and also consumes more fuel about 30% more fuel e.g. both with Volvo 480hp.
Which where the largest engines these boats could have. Sunseeker could have done with an extra 100hp that is why D9s 575hp on the 47 Portofino makes it run much better.

Mustique 42 with 550 Hp detroits should party reasonably well.
The 46 was fitted with the same engines, although the 47 seems much more scarce with these. Got to say, on layout and looks, the 47 ticks more boxes, then the 42.
46 not so much. Aft cabin does seal its fate for me, as would prefer the extra storage space aft rather than accommodation.

Groova

Visit site

Did the Portofino 400 form part of this family as well?
Thanks

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Did the Portofino 400 form part of this family as well?
Thanks

AFAIK no. But in around mid late nineties Don Shead did reduce his work load at Sunseeker and becoming more a consultant in around 1999 and after that.

The 400 Portofino hull was inspired from the Martinque series (36, 38, 39) but modified in beam and some other areas. I used to like that boat when it came out.
It's problem was it was under powered with stern drives 2 x Kad42s

Portofino

Visit site
Abs, 41 /45 as a new or nearly new proposition with common rail D6 and DpH legs ( the ones with submerged steering rams ) are ok .
But a bit light weight compared to Rob,s Don Sheard Sunseeker short list ,which have a simpler shaft and none comman rail larger arguably more durable lower reving engines .

I feel a stern drive 40+ fter is on the edge in the real world -torgue wise from 5.5 L .I mean add in a bit ,not a lot of fouling + Robs diving gear - the thing will struggle to plane .Better to go for something in the 10-15 L bracket -given a choice! And indifference to fuelling it of course .

Ok fuel use will be more ,but bigger Engine rooms ,more DIY er able mechanics and a lot heavier for bashing CI wind against current chop etc .
Remember SS,s are built with trad hand layered mat /resin glassed in bulkheads ,no liners , cores in the hull , or modern lightweight techniques . Bits n pieces like guard rails cleats etc are all high quality .

So going fwds less likely to fall apart if bashed and easy to survey .
We have a Camargue 44 as a nieghbour ,on CAT,s looks fab with a blue hull .Sounds great in the marina .
Ok its no rocket ship -chugs around low to mid 20,s -buts its wearing well and design has stood the test of time easy simple boat to maintain .Great used buy these days .
Only issue was diesel bug last year buts that's not a modal specific thing .

It's just a case of looking ar a few - time /travel permitting ??

Last edited: