Another Brick in the Wall.

stranded

Visit site
Really!

Can’t see proud states ceding issuing passports to a central authority; more likely it would be decided by a majority vote.

It was interesting to see how quickly countries in the Schengen Zone, sensibly reimposed border controls to try to restrict the spread of Covid.

Sorry lured into a bit of thread drift.

Back to topic, most expats and long term visitors have taken steps to ameliorate the impact of the impending restrictions on freedom of movement around the EU next year.

So the endgame of the EU project will be a coup against member states unwilling to cede sovereignty, and presumably not allowed to leave the union. Really?!

nortada

Visit site
So the endgame of the EU project will be a coup against member states unwilling to cede sovereignty, and presumably not allowed to leave the union. Really?!

Your end game not mine and probably not the EUs.

But once again we seem to be drifting off topic and as this is turning increasingly political, possibly this not the place to pursue it❓

syvictoria

Visit site
Back to topic, most expats and long term visitors have taken steps to ameliorate the impact of the impending restrictions on freedom of movement around the EU next year.

Sadly dual residency or citizenship is not an option for everyone. Not if you genuinely want to meet the legal requirements of the former anyway.

nortada

Visit site
Sadly dual residency or citizenship is not an option for everyone. Not if you genuinely want to meet the legal requirements of the former anyway.

So true, but there are 2 issues here.

Getting residency and then abiding by the requirements. Because it is much harder to get, and as citizens will already be residents of the country in question, I discount citizenship.

Although many countries do not permit dual residence, even at this eleventh hour, it may still be possible for Brits to get residency from one of those countries who do.

It would be very useful if there was a list of those EU countries that permit dual residency and possibly those who don’t.

To start that ball rolling I can confirm that Portugal allows dual British/Portuguese residency.

The next issue, having been granted residency, different countries may impose different conditions - often a minimum period of time in country per annum.

Unfortunately some Brits, who have been granted residency, have made it clear that they do not intend to abide by these conditions but live under-the-radar and if discovered, accept that their dual residency may be withdrawn. Could make life more difficult for the rest of us.

The introduction of the EU-wide biometric residency permit for all British resident in the EU, which will give an accurate history of their time in or out of the EU, will make avoiding the authorities much more difficult.

Visit site
EU doesn't issue passports - yet!

If you do not have a passport, unless you are a refugee or illegal immigrant, you don't get in.
On a technicality - I don't have a passport, I only need my Portuguese ID even to go to the UK. I am waiting to see if that will change.

nortada

Visit site
On a technicality - I don't have a passport, I only need my Portuguese ID even to go to the UK. I am waiting to see if that will change.

Can’t see it won’t change but as a precaution, I would carry a passport and ensure that it has at least 6 months to run.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Agree, the reason I did not take residency (among other things) in Spain was the requirement to spend at least 183 days in the country. I suspect some who have already taken residency in Spain (and other EU Countries) may end up losing it in time to come for failure to comply with this and other requirements

Tony Cross

Visit site
But think of the positives. All those sunny uplands and advantageous trade deals with other countries for the UK - and you'll be in control again. This is all worth it - isn't it? :ROFLMAO:

syvictoria

Visit site
Getting residency and then abiding by the requirements. Because it is much harder to get, and as citizens will already be residents of the country in question, I discount citizenship.

I may have misunderstood you, but a citizen isn't necessarily a resident. I suspect that the majority of dual passport holders aren't resident in both (or more) states for which they hold a passport. Citizenship is more often a birthright.

cherod

Visit site
lots of interesting ( food for thot ) stuff here for those wishing too take up residency in specific countries , but what about those who just wish to cruise , lets say from France down and throo the Med calling into passing countries on short stays , are there forseen problems with a UK passport holders ? ii understand the schengen issue of 180 days but i presume a short trip over to NAfrica could solve that .. ty R

syvictoria

Visit site
lots of interesting ( food for thot ) stuff here for those wishing too take up residency in specific countries , but what about those who just wish to cruise , lets say from France down and throo the Med calling into passing countries on short stays , are there forseen problems with a UK passport holders ? ii understand the schengen issue of 180 days but i presume a short trip over to NAfrica could solve that .. ty R

Only if your short trip is 90 days! (Assuming that you've been port hopping within the EU for the 90 days prior). Unfortunately the Schengen rule is 90 days within any 180 day period. So, yes, big problems for UK passport holders in your scenario.

cherod

Visit site
Only if your short trip is 90 days! (Assuming that you've been port hopping withing the EU for the 90 days prior). Unfortunately the Schengen rule is 90 days within any 180 day period. So, yes, big problems for UK passport holders in your scenario.
:oops: so you have to leave the schengen area ,( which i believe is most of europe ) for a specified period every 90 days ??????????

syvictoria

Visit site
:oops: so you have to leave the schengen area ,( which i believe is most of europe ) for a specified period every 90 days ??????????

Essentially, yes. Although the 90 days don't have to be taken in one lump and can be spread throughout the 180 days. There are calculators on line to assist with ensuring that you stay within the permitted 90 days within any 180 day period. If you overstay, there is a danger that this may be noted in your passport on exit and you will then not be able to re-enter for a specified period (/ever?). It's therefore not considered wise to overstay!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's s**t.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
But think of the positives. All those sunny uplands and advantageous trade deals with other countries for the UK - and you'll be in control again. This is all worth it - isn't it? :ROFLMAO:
YES. There was a time before the crazy EU went mad with the prospect of power under one roof (a German roof) when a cruising boat from just about anywhere could spend six month (or more) in France, then move on to Spain for another six month and so on. Then the EU tied everyone (27 countries) into a ghetto like package where if a tourist (boat or not) spent their six month allowance in say France there were banned from any of the other 26 countries depriving them of a chance to share the tourist dollar for that year. These countries are just now, becaause of Covid and migration, realising this.

I spent over ten years in the British Military yet I am not allowed to fly the British ensign from the back of my boat. That goes for everyone who takes the residancy option. As for residancy and citzenship and a EU passport it has got to be a joke. Texans or any US state do not have a seperate passport, neither do folk from Siberia, Queensland, or Scotland. They are American, Russian, Australian, or British because of a common culture under one passport. If anyone thinks the EU will succeed in swamping the culture of 27 nations under one passport they are living in cloud cuckoo land. It can only happen under someones Jackboot and think about who will be wearing that Jackboot. The countries of Europe don't only want their country back they want their Europe back.

Oh for the days a yacht and her skipper had the freedom to move between European countries and experience original varied culture with different goals ambitions and using and controlling their own currency to enable them to do it. Just MY opinion of course.

cherod

Visit site
Essentially, yes. Although the 90 days don't have to be taken in one lump and can be spread throughout the 180 days. There are calculators on line to assist with ensuring that you stay within the permitted 90 days within any 180 day period. If you overstay, there is a danger that this may be noted in your passport on exit and you will then not be able to re-enter for a specified period (/ever?). It's therefore not considered wise to overstay!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's s**t.
( no apologies req , thank you for the information ) ,, just to make it clear for me , if one stays ( within Schengen ) the full 90 days then one must exit ( the Schengen area ) for another full 90 days , or duck and dive in and out for the required average ( totals ) time . ? i guess Morroco and Tunisia are going to get busy !!

stranded

Visit site
( no apologies req , thank you for the information ) ,, just to make it clear for me , if one stays ( within Schengen ) the full 90 days then one must exit ( the Schengen area ) for another full 90 days , or duck and dive in and out for the required average ( totals ) time . ? i guess Morroco and Tunisia are going to get busy !!
Deleted - I misread your post.

syvictoria

Visit site
Then the EU tied everyone (27 countries) into a ghetto like package where if a tourist (boat or not) spent their six month allowance in say France there were banned from any of the other 26 countries depriving them of a chance to share the tourist dollar for that year. These countries are just now, becaause of Covid and migration, realising this.

??????!!!!!!

The EU has full freedom of movement for people who are citizen's of any one of it's states. Under those rules, after 6 months straight in any one country, you are supposed to apply for residency there. However, there is nothing stopping you from moving on to another country and spending 6 months there. This is the fantastic freedom that we (UK citizens) lose (or give away, depending upon your POV) on 1/1/21.

There has never been (to my knowledge) a 180/360 rule for UK citizens. Whilst that prospect is inferior to what we have now, it would be far superior to what we will have from January (as it stands and without any deal agreeing otherwise)!