Another Brick in the Wall.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
so those wishing to stay over for short ( ish ) periods on their boat might be ok ?

If we're talking about this year, they may well ask to see marina contract and doubt that a one week booking would be accepted but, Nortada has more experience with marina dweller applications than I. Next year, you won't qualify for residence.

Remember that your boat will be time limited to 18 months after which it must leave for short time or pay VAT.

syvictoria

Visit site
Next year, you won't qualify for residence.

I ask this genuinely. Is it really as black and white as that, or will it just likely become impractical from the average cruiser's perspective?

Ultimately, Americans, Australians, etc. do relocate and settle in the EU. It's surely just a case of there being a lot more bureaucratic hoops for them to jump through? (Putting aside marrying an EU resident!)

cherod

Visit site
If we're talking about this year, they may well ask to see marina contract and doubt that a one week booking would be accepted but, Nortada has more experience with marina dweller applications than I. Next year, you won't qualify for residence.

Remember that your boat will be time limited to 18 months after which it must leave for short time or pay VAT.
Ty , my concerns / interest are not for this year but for next

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I ask this genuinely. Is it really as black and white as that, or will it just likely become impractical from the average cruiser's perspective?

Ultimately, Americans, Australians, etc. do relocate and settle in the EU. It's surely just a case of there being a lot more bureaucratic hoops for them to jump through? (Putting aside marrying an EU resident!)

You are correct, the difference is having the right to easily obtaining residence as EU citizen or, having to jump through lots of hoops as third country applicant which has far more qualifications regarding financial ability to support ones self, health insurance, (maybe language skills?) etc. Not sure whether boats have to be imported as well?

nortada

Visit site
lots of interesting ( food for thot ) stuff here for those wishing too take up residency in specific countries , but what about those who just wish to cruise , lets say from France down and throo the Med calling into passing countries on short stays , are there forseen problems with a UK passport holders ? ii understand the schengen issue of 180 days but i presume a short trip over to NAfrica could solve that .. ty R

If your trip involves a 90 day or longer stay in N Africa - maybe.

nortada

Visit site
I may have misunderstood you, but a citizen isn't necessarily a resident. I suspect that the majority of dual passport holders aren't resident in both (or more) states for which they hold a passport. Citizenship is more often a birthright.

Not sure but I can’t see how a citizen of a country cannot also have residency. The qualifications for citizen more than trump those for residency.

However, somebody with greater knowledge than me may come and correct me - won’t be the first time?

nortada

Visit site
YES. There was a time before the crazy EU went mad with the prospect of power under one roof (a German roof) when a cruising boat from just about anywhere could spend six month (or more) in France, then move on to Spain for another six month and so on. Then the EU tied everyone (27 countries) into a ghetto like package where if a tourist (boat or not) spent their six month allowance in say France there were banned from any of the other 26 countries depriving them of a chance to share the tourist dollar for that year. These countries are just now, becaause of Covid and migration, realising this.

I spent over ten years in the British Military yet I am not allowed to fly the British ensign from the back of my boat. That goes for everyone who takes the residancy option. As for residancy and citzenship and a EU passport it has got to be a joke. Texans or any US state do not have a seperate passport, neither do folk from Siberia, Queensland, or Scotland. They are American, Russian, Australian, or British because of a common culture under one passport. If anyone thinks the EU will succeed in swamping the culture of 27 nations under one passport they are living in cloud cuckoo land. It can only happen under someones Jackboot and think about who will be wearing that Jackboot. The countries of Europe don't only want their country back they want their Europe back.

Oh for the days a yacht and her skipper had the freedom to move between European countries and experience original varied culture with different goals ambitions and using and controlling their own currency to enable them to do it. Just MY opinion of course.

Good rant but if you belong to one the UK Armed Forces, provided your boat is UK registered you can fly the appropriate flag.

Guy in front of me is a retired Gunner and flys their flag with pride.

stranded

Visit site
Not sure but I can’t see how a citizen of a country cannot also have residency. The qualifications for citizen more than trump those for residency.

However, somebody with greater knowledge than me may come and correct me - won’t be the first time?
I think the difference lies in that between “right of abode”, which all citizens have, and residency, which is about where you are habitually resident eg for tax reasons. You can be a Brit Cit but not ordinarily resident in the UK, but you have a right to come back and reestablish residency. There is also domicile, which gets really complicated!

nortada

Visit site

Truth is, none of us know until the outcome of the negotiations become public. Until then most of us are basing our planning on worst case scenarios.

My opinion, whilst EU wide rules (Schengen etc.) will be enforced but bilateral agreements (Residency, EHIC?) might ameliorate the situation where common local interest could come into the balance.

Some countries may even choose to ignore certain regulations. I leave it to your imaginations, which?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
First let me say I glade the miff that residency in one country will give you free movements within the EU as stop , there's was a time when some was taken up residency for this reason . .
As for the 90/180 rule as nortada said no one know what going to happen as from now , as I said many time and I don't want to keep repeating it there way of getting nearly the full 6 month give or take a few weeks but you do have to do as it now become known the EU dance which mean keep your head down , turning off AIS and bending the rules just a bit ,
If that's not for you , well then your let with the 90/180 day rule if it come to pass .

cherod

Visit site
First let me say I glade the miff that residency in one country will give you free movements within the EU as stop , there's was a time when some was taken up residency for this reason . .
As for the 90/180 rule as nortada said no one know what going to happen as from now , as I said many time and I don't want to keep repeating it there way of getting nearly the full 6 month give or take a few weeks but you do have to do as it now become known the EU dance which mean keep your head down , turning off AIS and bending the rules just a bit ,
If that's not for you , well then your let with the 90/180 day rule if it come to pass .
That might not be so easy if one has to clear into and out of individual countries with computerised automated shared passport details

syvictoria

Visit site
But once they return they will automatically become resident so not being in the country is really semantic to their status.

It is quite possible to have a passport (i.e.: be a citizen) of a country in which you have never lived, nor have any intention of becoming resident (either physically or fiscally) in. For example, through a parent or grandparent as a birthright.

syvictoria

Visit site
That might not be so easy if one has to clear into and out of individual countries with computerised automated shared passport details

+1. Or if you use public transport entering or exiting the EU at any time (for example, a visit back home). Any interaction with the countries health or police service would, I assume, also more than likely bring your overstay to the attention of the authorities too.

I really don't see how people can get away with an overstay, unless they are supremely stealthy, completely happy to flout regulations and extremely lucky!

cherod

Visit site
+1. Or if you use public transport entering or exiting the EU at any time (for example, a visit back home). Any interaction with the countries health or police service would, I assume, also more than likely bring your overstay to the attention of the authorities too.

I really don't see how people can get away with an overstay, unless they are supremely stealthy, completely happy to flout regulations and extremely lucky!
TBH i would have no qualms with any of that , if required and possible . Ps , presumably a visit back home to UK starts the clock again or at least counts as “ time out “ ?