Anger at boats anchoring overnight

jordanbasset

Visit site
Bru,
If you can understand the rational behing stopping people from staying away from home, please explain it in coherent and consistent terms.

How is staying at your holiday home/boat/caravan more likely to spread infection than visiting them during the day and returning home at night?
I'll have a go, the obvious one is there will be a lot more people making the journey
If people know they can stay over night, or as long as they want for that matter, more would make the journey to their holiday home/boat/caravan.
If you have a 3 hour plus journey each way you are less likely to bother to go in the first place if you cannot stay there over night

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Bru,
If you can understand the rational behing stopping people from staying away from home, please explain it in coherent and consistent terms.

How is staying at your holiday home/boat/caravan more likely to spread infection than visiting them during the day and returning home at night?

It isn't consistent and it reflects the muddled thinking from the government

The logic of preventing people moving around the country unnecessarily is obvious and inescapable.

We're no different to sheep during a foot and mouth outbreak. Move people around, move the virus around.

It was entirely logical to ask people to stay at home and not go out unless it was absolutely necessary. In fact, i don't think the lockdown went far enough and i definitely don't think it was properly constituted and enforced (it should have been properly enshrined in law instead of relying on "guidance")

With the "R" rate hovering perilously close to 1 (and reportedly exceeding it in some areas) it remains logical to prevent unnecessary travel around the country. It seems particularly sensible to prevent large numbers of people congregating in locations such as holiday parks, static caravan sites etc.

What is not logical is to permit people to drive as far as they like and congregate en masse on beaches, in parks etc and so on

The government has succumbed to political, economic and social pressure to ease a lockdown that was already weak and to exacerbate matters has done so in a piecemeal and illogical fashion

The hardening of the guidance on staying away from home overnight into law is not logical in the context of easing the guidance on travel for leisure and recreational purposes

It is stupid, utterly ridiculous, that i can now travel legally to my boat (or anywhere else) as long as i return home the same day but cannot stay overnight

It should be one or the other. Either it is now safe to travel and therefore logically safe to stay away from home (with suitable social distancing etc) or it isn't

And if it isn't, and i personally think we're rushing things by easing the lockdown at this stage, then no travel beyond one's local area should be allowed at all.

The current situation is a bit of a shambles because the government was unwilling to go hard on the lockdown initially, has given in time and again to various pressure groups making concessions here and there that are ill considered, and is now ignoring the science for political and economic reasons despite its own assurances that any easing of the lockdown would be driven by the science

It's a mess

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
It's particularly tough for yachtsmen who are in the water but a long drive away .

I don't think that there is any going back now. Rightly or wrongly you can only carry the
electorate so far . There is real suffering out there that has to be addressed by starting to getting things back to normal.

Personal view, I feel the onus must now move more fully to the individual.

Last edited:

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
24 boats anchored overnight with AIS on in Stangate creek? I find that very hard to believe, has Nick shared a screenshot of this phenomenal event?
No he didn't. At the time I felt the same. If there were 24 with AIS, how many without? My thoughts were if there was that many boats, seeing as Stangate Creek is the acssess route to and from our moorings we are going to have to dodge all those boats to get out and back. It will also make it extremely difficult for our club to hold any of our races.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
It's particularly tough for yachtsmen who are in the water but a long drive away .

It's even tougher on yachtsmen whose boat is still ashore needing prep before launching but are a long drive away

We can't even go for a day sail

The fact that we could spend an indefinite period aboard with zero contact with anybody is frustrating but i could live with it if i wasn't daily seeing hordes gathering on beaches, on London streets, ignoring social distancing in shops and supermarkets and so on

I'm beyond frustrated!

Gargleblaster

Visit site
My wife has asked me what happens if you run aground and are stuck for the night.
She is referring to us entering the eastern end of the Swale at 2000 one night trying to make Harty Ferry on the last of the flood. It was early in the season and dark already, I was just steering from one green flashing light to the next when we went hard onto the Horse at the very top of the tide. I think we did sleep that night before getting off the next morning at high tide having put anchors out to winch off with.

It is not unknown for East Coast sailors to run aground even in Stangate Creek.

To me this fellow Ardley is no better than the Gauletiers in Nazi Germany. Reporting people for a victimless crime.

Pye_End

Visit site
Bru,

You need to be thinking more broadly than this.

It is a bit of a 'hammer to crack a nut'.

The last thing holiday based authorities want is a large influx of patients into hospitals which are not set up for larger populations eg Cornwall, Scotland, Wales etc. Given the lack of work they will become population dense (just look at Dartmouth in the summer and tell me this is safe). They don't want to have to deal with evacuating yachtsmen from boats. They don't want full-on holiday season to start with so many people still being infected in the wider population. They want to control the re-start of 'normal life' in a drip feed manner so they can see what the results are of opening up. Ok, I agree that it is of little risk that with some individuals who do not have Covid-19 (how do you know this?) anchoring up for a night in Stangate Creek, but our time will come soon enough if the infection rate is low enough.

However, with some many people promoting ignoring current government rules and laws, it is difficult to see where this reduction in infection rate will come from. We could be heading straight back to full on lockdown if we don't get this right.

johnalison

Visit site
However, with some many people promoting ignoring current government rules and laws, it is difficult to see where this reduction in infection rate will come from. We could be heading straight back to full on lockdown if we don't get this right.
The R number is already over 1 in at least one part of the NW. Sailing will not come out well if lockdown has to be reimposed and it is known that rules have been widely flouted by sailors. Those who are staying out probably think they are being very clever, but their freedom has only been obtained at the cost of those who are, willingly or otherwise, obeying the rules.

bluerm166

Visit site
Worth pointing out that vessels are typically shown as targets on Marine Traffic and are still shown long after they have departed.I'll believe 24 daytime vessels but 24 overnight would indeed be a record and only allow a shocking 100 metres between them .
Perhaps those alarmed by the behaviour of fellow sailors would like to explain how overnight anchoring can have anywhere near the social interchange involved in driving to and boarding a boat in a marina or yard.
If they are worried about adverse publicity they could think before they broadcast concerning the ommissions of others.

GlennG

Visit site
Email from www.msba.org.uk

Local “ditch crawler” Nick Ardley has expressed anger at the two dozen boats anchored overnight in Stangate Creek at the bank holiday weekend and has written to Kelly Tolhurst, the Shipping Minister and MSBA Patron. He points out that the current law is clear that we must all return to our homes overnight and not stay in caravans, second home or boats. He concedes that, while being in a boat is a perfect way to self isolate, the law is clear. The RYA has published a guide for us to help us understand how it applies to boating.

Ditch-crawler gets angry about local sailors (Lower Thames & Medway) disregarding Covid-19 instructions… | Nick Ardley
What a narrow-minded, curtain twitching curmudgeonly busybody. (Quite difficult to write this sans profanity)

And who's this "RYA" that people keep mentioning? I didn't vote for them and want nothing to do with them with their silly rules and flags.

The essence of sailing is freedom and making your own choices and risk assessments. Anybody would think that we live under a fascist dictatorship that removed all our freedoms. Oh, we do.

BLM - Boaters Lives Matter

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog
I process death certs at work, and we are told that 50% of serious cases end in death.
We have seen a few younger people with underlying illness, earlier on, now we see far fewer covid deaths at all, and all the while most were aquired in nursing homes or hospital. Irelevant to sailors.
A sensible precaution would be;
If you're not isolating stay away from your old mum. ....
Common sense anyone ?